Should you be controlling over what your girlfriend wears?

Let's say your girlfriend dresses revealing sometimes, should you tell her to wear something else or is it fully her choice?

Sometimes my girlfriend does this, when she goes to the club. I tell her to dress less sexy aha, what;s your take on this?

• Yes
  • No
  • Depends

Most Helpful Girl

• I understand you and I understand her. Actually this happened with me and my boyfriend. I also got mad because I don't want to feel like I'm being controlled. Just TRUST her, ok? She doesn't dress like that to impress other guys, she just wants to feel pretty and confident when she goes out. She always dressed that way before, so you can't tell her to change because of you insecurities. Let her be and she will let you stay. I know you don't want to control her and it's ok if you tell her how you feel and maybe she will try to avoid dressing those clothes. But don't keep giving too much importance to it. What's important is that she is your girlfriend and she won't give a fuck about those guys at the club, so try to relax. :)

• yeah i will, i wont' be controlling. She only goes 3-4 times a month so i guess it's ok

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. I wanted to vote 'B' but by error voted 'C' - my vote is 'NO'
    2. It doesn't depend on what she wears on her person but what she wears on her demeanor and attitude :)
    3. It pays to be sensible and not wear revealing stuff where it's not warranted for her own safety of sorts
    4. I'd make it a point to advise her completely on my perception if I think it's unwise to wear something revealing to a particular place but always listen to her reasoning too. However, I won't go beyond pointing it out to her
    5. For women pointing out flaws or advising against is a touchy topic especially when she's worn something she intends to or likes, it's similar to pulling the food away from a hungry lions mouth (lol but not a joking matter) or nit picking on a guy who's really tired and wants to chill out or is about to eat (get the drift?)
    6. Mention it if there's enough reason to do so, in a strategic and subtle manner. But not because you are insecure etc
    7. End of the day go with what she wants to
    8. Also that she may like to wear revealing stuff and likes people eyeballing her - which is nothing wrong, to each his / her own :) There are guys who like their girls to reveal :)

• P. S. If my girl wears something revealing, chances are that she'll have me pawing her in public lol leave alone others eyeballing her :D BUT none can ever come near her unless she wants them to - I can be lethal and will be so :)

What Girls Said 18

• It's her body and she may wear what she wishes.

You can complain if she wants to wear like stickers on her nipples and a hula skirt to a business party but... you can't mandate every outfit. That's called being restrictive and controlling and that's not cool.

• i don't want to be restrictive or controlling. It;s not every time just when she goes to the club. Maybe i could suggest something else to wear, would that be ok you think?

• You can suggest to her what to wear, but don't push it any further than that.
    Don't tell her she's not allowed to wear a certain outfit or certain style, for example. In the end, it's her choice how she dresses.

• i will just suggest next time. Cause i told her to take off this dress she was wearing and she got a bit mad but wore something else, next time i will just suggest, i don't want to be controlling

• No, it’s not fair for you to ask her to dress differently and to stop wearing the things she likes to wear. Like I said, it’s not her fault that other guys might look at her and she shouldn’t be punished if they do.

Her sense of style is her own and is honestly none of his business. She isn't your property. You have got no right to tell her what she can and can't wear. She shouldn’t feel afraid to wear shorts on her vacation because of you.

• i don't want to be controlling. she dresses kinda revealing when she goes out to the club with her friends, this is 3-4 times a months. Since i posted the question i just suggest things to her. I love her and trust her so i won't tell her not to wear something, only suggest it.

I can tell you're kinda mad by the way you typed the last paragraph. i'am not controlling i promise you that, but in all honesty i just don't like how some guys look at her. I mean the guys who make it really obvious you know. But even when she goes to the club i text her to make sure she's doing well and she always texts me back.

• I say she can wear whatever she wants, but I'd still be a bit concerned.
    Suggestions are fair - I think everyone in a relationship can suggest an alternative outfit that's less or more revealing - but within limits of good taste.

As to what makes you comfortable or not - I wouldn't feel comfortable if my SO went out there without a shirt or in speedos just walking around, so I'm pretty sure that there are some limits to that good taste that everyone should stick to.

• She revealing things on when she goes to the club, she goes about 3-4 and with her friends. Other than that she dresses normally everyday

• Just tell her she looks better in something else... or hint that the outfit is unflattering in some way... If you have such a problem with it.
    Regardless, style is a form of self expression, by telling her something she wears is inappropriate you can be sending her a sign that you don't accept her. I've actually known a girl who dumped her boyfriend for that reason (he was probably more controlling than this though) so you want to tread carefully.

• it's just when she goes to the club, 3-4 times a month. I'am not controlling, i will suggest next time.

• First, what’s your idea of revealing? As this differs from person to person.

Have you told her it makes your uncomfortable? She might not realise or even think you like it.

Why does it make you feel this way?

Although it is her choice, I do believe as your partner she should consider your feelings at least a little bit.

• showing cleavage basically. I like it lol, just when she goes out to the club i dont want other guys staring or trying to get her number, this is my first relationship and i want to know she is all mine :)

I don't want to be controlling but i could suggest something else for her to wear

• i will from now on

• I agree 100% with this. :)

• Keep in mind you are her boyfriend NOT her father.

• yes i know but at the same time i don't want guys staring at her tits the times she wears certain things to the club. It's not all the times, it's sometimes. i guess i can suggest to her what to wear right?

• I agree @Minxxie but there's also times where the girlfriend has no reason to wear revealing or tight clothing when going out to shop or with some friends. That type of clothing is only worn when girls want to attract attention to themselves, she already has a boyfriend why does she need more attention?

1. She's an attention whore
      2. She doesn't like you and is planning on cheating.
      3. She enjoys dressing "slutty" all the time

Slutty is in quotes since that is something determined by society and pushed onto us, everyone has their own definition of slutty clothing.

• @JohnStamoist She only wears this stuff when she goes to the club.

• If you don't like it then find a new girlfriend. You don't get to tell her what to wear

• i'm not controlling and it's only whens he goes to the club, i canj only suggest things

• Saying you like her in a certain type of outfit and want her to wear it more often is fine. Telling her what she can't wear is not ok, she is not your property.

• i will just suggest things to her, i don't want to be controlling

• if it stays with small comments such as yours, it's okay. if you keep telling her what to wear everyday, it's WRONG.

• Oh no no, not everyday, only to the club, she goes 3-4 times a month. But next time i will just suggets things

• I think it's a cute boyfriendy thing ^-^

• thanks haha, i text er to make sure she's ok and everything. I'm not a club type person

• What does she say when you tell her to dress less sexy?

• no, not unless she controls you back.

• Depends if she's dressing like Miley Cyrus or not lol :P That should be the line lol.

• no not like that, just showing more cleavage lol

• Meh, girls will be girls they like the attention and it makes her feel confident and sexy. She'll just be in a better mood when she comes home after having had a great night and having had all eyes on her. ;) I used to dress that way, but I mellowed out and started to not care what people thought about me. But just because I dressed sexy didn't mean I wanted to be with anyone else but my other half.

• Ok. For me really idc what i wear lol, maybe she does care. Well i guess if it makes her feel good then i'm ok with that, but if she could maybe tone it down a bit it would be better. But i mean she doesn't go out that much (only 3-4) so i guess it's ok. All her friends dress the same somewhat

• If I am dressing too sexy i would like to know id rather change my clothes than get dumped.

• If she's trying to leave damn near nake yes of course

• No, just cleavage when she goes to the club

• I dress pretty decent but if a boyfriend said anything I'd go out of my way to make myself more revealing just to teach him he can't control me.. What am I? A dog. Go sit. Go fetch. What the actual fuck it's the 21st century. Women shouldn't have to change for men and even think about controlling.

• i'll just suggest things i guess, but i do trust her

• Yeah that's good

• My boyfriend is over controlling almost everything in my life, my friends and my hair and clothes, shoes, makeup even my free time and Everything. I'm thinking about breaking up with him because i can't live like this anymore.

• That's sad... I'm sorry to read that. But yeah, if he doesn't change that's the best you can do. You're not happy anyways.

• Well, one thing is the healthy jealousy... but if it crosses a point it's not good or healthy anymore. :/

• @overthinkingmind this girl deserves much better. I let my girlfriend live her life lol, i'm a free flowing guy and i think guys should be, only thing is the dressing thing at the club but other than that, it's not problem. I would tell this girl to break up with this guy, he ain't treating her right

• You should not be.

What Guys Said 25

• Honestly
    i would suggest something
    but will never force to do
    what i wish

i just want her to be safe
    also admit that i would feel a lot of jealousy
    but after all
    i love her and respect her

and that is her life and her body
    she do whatever she like

but as a boyfriend that is my responsibility
    that if i see anything unsafe
    i should let her know

at last all i want is her to be happy
    and never to regret anything

just that is it
    after all her wish is superior
    she is my queen...

• Sorry she was
      because she had dumped me a month ago
      but my heart has not accepted it yet
      somehow
      it can not

take care
      enjoy
      have a nice time

• All the best to you man

• It depends on the situation. I wouldn't tell her what to wear. I would tell her I'm uncomfortable or don't like what she is wearing and suggest something else. Then it's on her to to change it.

My wife had her "I'm single look at me" clothes long retired. So she dresses different now then what she did before.

• Alright, i don't want to be controlling so i might just suggest something else to wear, but i will tell her, i just dont want guys hitting on her and staring at her boobs

• It's up to her really. If you don't like what she is wearing you can offer an opinion or you can just accept what she wears. If you aren't cool with it and she's not willing to change on your suggestion, then you should just view it as an incompatibility and move on.

• next time i will suggest something different for her to wear. It's just i don't want other guys trying to get with her

• It's her body bro, if you have an issue with how she chooses to express herself, maybe you should let her be with somebody who actually wants her as she is and go find someone more fitted to your styles and standards instead of attempting at changing who this person is.

• If she is using her skin to draw attention to herself while she is your gal then I would let her know. If it bothers you and she still craves the male attention dump her.

• One time I suggested to my girlfriend that if she continued to dress that way she ran the risk of being raped by a pack of niggers. Instead of thanking me for my concern she covertly recorded me and shared it with the press. For a while the media was bitching 24/7 about how "racist" I was and yada yada, financial repercussions, yada yada. Eventually some stupid n** got shot after he rushed a police officer, and my "racism" seemed less important and they moved on.

TLDR; Don't bother trying to be helpful. Just drop subtle hints that you once dated a rape victim but it was too much work.

• Ask her why is she going to clubs wearing revealing clothes anyway

If my woman did this I'd most likely leave her because that sounds too fu**ed up

• she goes maybe 3 times a month with all her friends

• Isn't that sort of suspicious to you dude?

Yeah obviously she can go out and have fun but whats the deal with the revealing clothes?

• Eh if she chooses to be revealing I'll let guys check her out then say, "you can't have her, she's all mine!!!"

Sometimes i would pick out her outfit for a special occasion for a fancy dinner out.

Buy her a fancy dress, heels, and matching jewelry set and surprise her when she sees a big wrapped gift box lying on the bed.

• You shouldn't try and control what she can and can't wear, but you should be able to voice your opinion. If she is dressing too showy for your comfort out in public or wears something embarrassing then let her know. You don't have to pick out every outfit and chastise her for what she wears, but speak up if you have a problem with it.

• You can have an opinion, tell her if you like it or not, but in the end is just up to her.

• No man should ever tell his partner what to wear, if you are not happy with her being her self and wearing what she wants then leave her and let her find a man who is. It is acceptable to buy her clothes you think she would look good in as a present but it's up to her if she wears them.

• You can't tell her what to wear and what not to wear, just like she can't decide how you dress. It's all about trust, she wants to look good going out, but it doesn't mean she'll cheat.

• You can't control or tell her what to wear, even if its only suggesting thats pretty iffy. But you have every right to tell her how dressing like that makes you feel, be honest about why it bothers you.

• U should ADVICE HER like tell her please wear something more decent I like it this way if she didn't want to that's her life u accepted her this way and u loved her this way so u should accept her like that

• No, It should be completely her choice. But maybe you could try suggesting something else if you feel an outfit is too revealing. Do not force it upon her though

• Yes i would hated if ma cutie wear revealing clothes and thats usually for other hungry wolves to mirin' and holla @. I wouldn't get with these hoes in the first place anywayz 👌🏼

• Honestly, if my girlfriend wore something rather revealing I would let her know, but say that I won't stop her wearing it. It's her body, she can wear what she wants.

• You can comment, that's for sure. If you don't like it, just say you don't like it. You can't force her though.

• Logically, not much point.

If she wants to dress half naked, she will. In front of you, or when you're not around. Why appear insecure or controlling? Relax and own it, I say.

• Sure. If you ask her to change into something more modest and she says no, then she has disrespected you and you should not have to tolerate that. Why is she dressing revealing anyway, if she has a boyfriend?

• no she can where what ever she wants

• No.

But if I don't like an outfit for whatever reason, I am honest with her upfront about it and tell her.

• She should at least respect what you want.

• i require all of my girlfriends to wear makeup and loose clothing so they look god for me

• The only time I ask my SO to change is when we're meeting someone like my family or family friends or when we're going to some type of event. And even then I never tell her to change I just tell her what the people are like and let her choose what kind of impressions she wants to give off.