What's the story behind "Nice guys come last"?

Do nice guys really come last? If so, why? If not, what really happens and why do so many believe it?

0|0
6|11

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes nice guys do come last; but so do bad boys.

When people say "nice guys come last", they are just saying that in terms of instant visual/sexual attraction and desperation, nice guys are the last ones girls will turn to for this kind of fun because the nice guys are much more modest and don't like to give in easily.

However, bad boys can also come last. When it comes to honest, truthful, steady relationships built from emotional attachment, bad boys can often come last because they are more viewed as flings rather than someone a girl can be committed too and trust.

So nice guys come last is just one half of it.

0|2
    0|1

What Girls Said 5

• It means that nice guys are the ones the girls wind up marrying. Hence, they are last. Many girls are automatically attracted to nice guys. Some girls want a thrill and get burned a few times before they realize the guys they are going for aren't so nice. Girls get used and abused by guys, even by the ones they didn't think would be like that. They eventually realize that if they keep going for the same types of guys, they will keep getting the same results. That's when they start changing who they are looking for. They got tired of getting burned.

Most really good looking guys KNOW they are good looking and can have their pick of the litter, so they tend to mistreat women. There's a rare gem in these really good looking guys who either don't know they are good looking and/or who don't use their looks to their advantage. This is not to say that nice guys aren't good looking. They're just not usually the 9s or 10s of men. Because of this, they don't usually become jerks to women. They aren't narcissistic, egotistical, overly confident, etc. They're generally good guys. When women wake up and see that there's a beauty in nice guys, they become lucky. A nice guy that is a 7 in looks can be way more than that guy who was considered a 10 for his looks. A crappy personality can turn that 10 into a 2. Who generally wins out in the end? The nice guy.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think this may have to do a lot from literature where the nice guy was not well off. And the well off guy may have treated the girl nice enough, but he was a douche. And so the girl/or guy married the affluent douche for security while the nice guy/gal who had their back finishes with nothing.

0|0
    0|0
  • the story is that one day, a nice guy got rejected by a girl and he decided 'all women are like this. I'm hopeless'. i should let all nice men know.

the end.

0|0
    0|0
  • once upon a time.. there was a race.. gokart racing.. and a nice guy came last... :)

0|1
    0|0
  • I genuinely always thought it originated by meaning that they get their lady off first before they finish. "Nice guys finish last."

Not sure when or why it was changed to mean that they don't get girls.

0|1
    0|0
    • I did think it meant that too

What Guys Said 11

• In life, it comes from the fact that some people are too passive and selfless and rarely ever succeed as they don't rate their own ambitions highly enough to really work at them, while more selfless people with bigger ego's have the confidence needed to work at the top.

In dating, it comes from the theory that there is a difference between what women say they want (a 'sweet, funny, nice guy') and what they actually want (a 'tough' cocky' jerk').

In general, apparently it comes from baseball:
    ""Ruthless tactics succeed more than kindness. This statement is generally ascribed to baseball manager Leo Durocher, (1905-1991) whose fiery style earned him the nickname 'The Lip.'. He led three teams into the World Series"
    - www.phrases.org.uk/.../1838.html

I have heard that before. Basically a baseball manager said that referring to a group of players. Apparently, he was misquoted and actually said 'nice guys but they'll still finish last' not the now famous phrase "nice guys finish last".

0|1
    0|0
  • Attractive, fun, confident guys get the girls.

The average looking stable reliable guy finishes last.

The attractive fun guy can be nice and the stable reliable guy can be a jerk. Whether or not the person I'd a jerk has nothing to do with their success.

The second guy finishes last in that he doesn't get as much sex as the hot exciting guy AND when he does get sex he won't get it on the first date like the hit and exciting guy did. The average looking reliable guy will have to take her on dates and wait for sex. He's only desirable for relationships, not hookups.

Just like guys divide girls into short term (hookups) and long-term (relationships) girls do the same. The only difference is that for a guy it's better to be hookup material.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a stupid stereotypes and all these "nice guys" are actually just men who couldn't hack it or who can't handle rejection ae creeps. I'm honestly tired of hearing about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's simple: kill the Batman

Let me tell you how things work: When you (girl or boy) are in a relation, and argue with the "significant other", you tend to push that person farther and farther away. When a random guy/girl appears and simply says "hello, you look cute" , even if he is a total asshole, you will see him as a nice guy, because you compare him with your actual lover which you keep arguing with... Naturally you bf/gf will become jealous because you go out with the "new cute guy/ girl who understands you" and guess what: you push each other farther away again. Usually in this case you break up after max 2~3 weeks, but depends on how much time you have together and the reason why you break up

0|0
    0|0
  • A doormat certainly does, there is no story, agreeable people are easy to manipulate, with no sense of direction they.. finish last, if ever. Depends on what your definition of a "nice guy" is.

1|0
    0|0
  • It means nice guys finish last in a race because they don't want to seem rude by winning first place.

0|0
    0|0
  • Shure they do. They are boring right? ;P

0|0
    0|0
  • some douche bag made it up and other douche bags went along with it and it spread like a disease.

0|0
    0|0
  • It means push overs finish last, not kind hearted people.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope. Nice guys come first over long period of time. Over short period nice guys really come last. Look around you'll find examples. It is scientifically proven, even for animals.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's just pathetic, weak, pussy, fuck boys making excuses. You can be shy, quiet, and nice (most of the time) and still get girls.

0|0
    0|0