Mental Health and the stigma behind it. Should we have to hide it?

So I came across a quote that spoke about the stigma mental health sufferers face for no reason other than just admitting that something is wrong and that they'd like a little help. Which is a far more important reason than "OMG, this person called me stupid. Am I really?" People are so ignorant and so I've developed this 'No Mercy' type attitude and just drill them with education till they realise how stupid and wrong they were or just make them look stupid by talking to someone else who does. Why should we have to mold ourselves into something we are not. I struggle with getting people to take me seriously since I've been open but what is actually wrong with me. Women even dismiss you because you are not dateable where as in fact I'm a far better choice then some so called normal people out there. Soon as you say the word mental, it's like a ball and chain comes into everyones mind.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been rejected more than once for having depression and anxiety issues - including by my long term boyfriend who also had anxiety. Life is tough. You can't let it get you down, though. Keep fighting the good fight.

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel your pain. Especially with women. I don't know what your mental issue is, but mine is anxiety/depression. Both the antithesis of confidence, which is apparently all women want in a man. Never mind that I actually treat women with the respect they deserve, unlike the douche bags they date, never mind I am smart, fun and have a lot to offer them, never mind that because I CARE about them I sometimes get nervous, because the relationship is important. No that doesn't matter, all they care about is if a guy is a narcissist with delusions of grandeur.

• I believe you completely. Do you go to therapy?

• I am starting to actually. Yourself?

• Yes it's helped me a lot. My tip and I hope you take it seriously is to be truthful completely and go through your exact thoughts with your therapist.

What Girls Said 5

• I'm sorry to hear that's been your experience. It's important to be honest about our flaws but people won't always react the way we wish them to. Just be strong in yourself.

• There's a stigma for everything, you can't expect people to be sympathetic-just let things go over your head (that's what I do anyways, because I have life to focus on than arguing with them).

• See this is the arrogance I'm talking about. Of course you need to stay focused on life but believe it or not some people can't due to mental health issues. Sometimes it takes a while for them to even understand it, depending on the education and family they're raised with. For example; I don't want to make this about me but just to point out what I mean. Basically my family is fucked up. They couldn't make time nor are they smart, plus I was sent to a crappy school only to be bullied and left home with the TV and my cousin that liked touching me. Part of my mental health issues are a difficulty with cognitive functioning and understanding. I had huge amounts of anxiety that were out of my control as due a lot of anxiety and depression sufferers. Which leaves a feeling of absolute dread and hopelessness even when there is no reason for it. It took a while for me to understand what I was going through and I had to find out on my own...

• cause without natural communication skills and development. People can be left running scared. It's a living nightmare. If things worked out for you because of your better understanding and development then good for you. It's up to everyone including the mentally ill to improve themselves but in order to do that they must be educated on their condition. Usually those that do suffer from such disorders are mainly due to child hood trauma or lack of support and in order to improve the education of those who are clueless to the issues of mental health as they can create difficulties by ostracizing or ridiculing those who are in fact mentally ill and who just want a little support.

• Mental illness can come through biological genetics or trauma from any point of life. A church or religious affiliations can give some comfort or if you took up a hobby. There is support out there.

• I think mental health needs to be more openly talked about.

• It's so openly talked about that people are diagnosed as popular disorders just so they can have a group to belong to.

• Yes when two people in one room know what they are talking about they can talk openly and the people that look down on you would feel stupid cause there is a lot of science and understanding that is talked about.

• I agree there is a stigma and alwa

• It depends on what you're suffering from

• Most common ones are depression and anxiety issues. Even PTSD, OCD and such

What Guys Said 8

• You know, I've suffered from depression for a couple years now, There isn't a fucking minute that goes by where i dont fucking hate myself, hate the life i live, and consider how much better shit would be if i wasn't here,

So, i went to a doctor about it in the hope i could get some medication to dellude myself from the bullshit that is life, And you know what he did?

He gave me some bulshit ''analogy'', And treated me like a fucking 13 year old girl whos 3 day relationship just ended and is a little bit sad, And not someone who spends every night for the past 3 years awake until 4-5AM thinking of killing themselves. And then had the nerve to tell me ''Think about what I've said, and come back in a couple months when your feeling better about it''

And, If even doctors, trained fucking proffesional doctors treat mental illness like shit, Then how the fuck is anyone?

People fucking suck.

• I recommend therapy. I really do in one year I've made vast improvements to my personal outlook. Though still hard it will help. I seriously recommend you do even if it does help just to talk it out to someone it helps a little at least.

• I have anxiety issues and my girlfriend from the beginning just told me all she wants from a relationship would be for me to just be open and honest about everything. So therefore she's been aware I suffer with anxiety and that I'm insecure and everything.

But then it came out a few days ago from her that clearly my mental health issues are too much for her even though I said I'm better than I used to be and that I am getting better. I just wish I hadn't have even bothered telling her now..

• You never did anything wrong and tell her that but in a nice way. Do something silly or nice for her and she'll forget about it.

• I've only just seen now that you replied to my answer. But in the end we ended up broke up. But something I've thought is that if my anxiety was too bad for her, then she wasn't right for me if she can't be mature enough to understand. I've established that she's pretty spoilt and selfish and it's all about her and everything is meant to be her way or no way. So in response to you question in general, I don't think you should hide behind it, as someone will hopefully come along and understand and be there for you if they are right for you :P

• I have suffered from a mental disorder since the age of 17 , sure you will find the odd person who will bully you about it, I never saw the difference between bullies that do it on those with mental issues and those who just bully for bullying no matter what. If you let your condition be the excuse for rejection , people reject people for all kinds of reasons worse than what we go through. The over-sensitive people who jump on non politically correct words , is a crutch. At 15 , is use to tell anyone who wanted to that , I spent in a mental institution , they kept me away from the undiagnosed crazies roaming loose in society , I said it with humour , Put they also knew, I could kick their ass , in baseball, hockey, academics and football. Yet I was 5'8" , not a jock. We are often our own worse enemy. Obsessive negative views are often in our minds, we need to let them go.

• I'm sorry that you've had such a hard life my friend.

• No, I did not have a difficult life because of my mental issues , I actually did not have a difficult , ok its filled with rejection and loneliness , but I am an introvert , and so many are so much more worse than I am, but genuinely , I wish my life was different , but I was given so many skills and talents , yet I didn't make the most of what I was given. I was never bullied, never , but I saw it because of mental illness , but not as much as people think , but not witnessing something doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
      For many life is not easy , mental illness is not easy , and I'm lucky , I could always think clearly , even if fear and panic attacks held me back. I personally think that some illness are worse than other , mental illness or otherwise , what is harder , I would think , is not being love and supported by your family whatever you are going through.

• I can't speak the same for myself. Unfortunately, there was a lot of influence from others that were forced and that drove me insane.

• For now we have to hide it because not enough people understand it. Nobody understands why having bipolar makes me disabled. They can't see the disability so they assume I must be faking.
    But mental illness is basically treated the same as any invisible illness. When people can't physically see something wrong with you they won't take it seriously.

• i try to tell people im thinking about dating about my problems before hand because if i dont and they find out later theyll leave me and it will hurt. at least this way i won't get hurt too bad. im anti relationship and social anyways. #humanextinction2016!!!

• You're young and the problem I found at your age is that I thought there was no cure but these days there is plenty of help and like I've mentioned to other posters here. I cannot recommend therapy enough. Either pay for it yourself or ask your family to fund you they will help you. What do you think about that?

• been to a mental hospital already and been through years of therapy. doesn't fix me.

• Keep trying buddy you're still young

• It should NEVER be a stigma , coming from someone that was sectioned just over 5 years ago for stress induced psychosis ( also some PTSD from my British Army service ) & treated for depression in 2008 , I have won these battles , but some poor souls are at constant war with themselves. People are judgmental , ignorant & shallow in the main , exceptions to this are in the minority , so I only mix with a handful of people , to be frank most people piss me off in some way. Hence , post divorce , I will stay solo.

• OK, maybe you could benefit from some counseling and group therapy!
    Just stay away from me! lol

• The fact you call yourself alpha male just tells me everything about you I need to know.

• Your profile says 60, but I'm guessing you're about 12 from your comment and name.

• The prognosis for mental illness is not good. You can't blame people for becoming avoidant.

• Course you can. If I leave an abandon baby cat lets say at the door step of animal lovers or a an abusive person. The difference will be significant. Education is key to virtue and the will to learn. Not a lot of people care about that. Instead they choose to poke sticks and make fun of it.

• Mental illness is an illness, so no I'm not off topic. I'm saying we should treat people with physical illness the same way we treat mental illness.
      And people should learn to be more sensitive to people with a disability. Yes we can blame people, because people need to learn to be tolerant of someone who is suffering from an illness.

• @John_Doesnt I know it's like saying a person with schizophrenia is at fault for being paranoid and thinking they are someone else. This is the kind of arrogance I mentioned. I do agree we have to learn to get better but if people weren't as ignorant then things would be a lot easier.