Guys do you truly like it when a woman shows "wife skills"?

For example, I make the bed before we get into it (if it's been unmade) and I fold clothes. When my boyfriend started dating me and he said "browny points" but almost said it in a conscending way.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's great, it shows that she can take care of herself, which is attractive. I wouldn't call that wife skills, but basic independent skills. I don't make the bed though, but because I prefer to not do it since it doesn't bother me. If I have someone coming then I would do it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think certain "wife skills" just show that a woman can look after herself (and independence is something that everyone finds attractive in a partner, like if a guy knows how to cook or whatever most girls would find that appealing too) or otherwise they show that the person is considerate about their partner and reiterate their commitment in the relationship (like anytime someone does something for their partner whatever it may be, but they do it without being asked because they care about the other person it's seen as a sign of their care and love for the other person).
    That being said, some cultures still have very definite ideas about the role of men and women in a relationship. He probably wasn't intentionally being derogatory but maybe he has grown up with certain ideals of family life? There's nothing wrong with this, some people are more i guess traditional in their thinking... it doesn't mean he thinks less of you or anything. But if your idea of relationship roles don't mesh well, just keep that in mind and be ready to deal with it later on down the track.

What Guys Said 49

• I genuinely enjoy it, old fashioned women are my prefered type and it shows that they have skills required to be good mothers. And in my opinion before your my wife and a mother to my kids you need to show that you are capable.

That being said I like to do that kind of stuff as well, I mean a man has to pull his weight around the house to. and give the women a break to, it's not all on her after all.

• Why would you make the bed right before getting into it? Usually people make it right after they get out.

• I really don't care but everybody both girls and guys should know how to fold, make their bed, cook at least one meal, do their laundry and clean their house. That's just basics.

• It's always felt a bit poignant to me when a girl tried to intimate that she would be a good homemaker. It was always something related to cooking, cleaning or child-rearing.

I suppose it was flattering in an oblique way but my internal response (which went unspoken) was basically: "You do not need to try to impress me. You're just showing me how far we have to go until you can feel truly at ease and not have to market yourself."

• of course wife skills lets be honest its just being an adult. most women now sadly do not have life skills

• It's nice but not a big deal for me. There are other more important qualities: intellectual compatibility, sexual compatibility, intelligence and disposition, common interests. We can share the housework or hire a maid for the stuff we don't want to do.

• Absolutely, yes, 100%. It's not even the actions themselves, it's the intent that goes along with it that makes it attractive. Not only that, femininity brings out the best in me. I am willing to put myself on the line more for someone like that, stand up for her, respect her, and treat her like a man should.

Not that I don't try with all women, but a surprising amount just don't see the value in the gesture. Feminine women really seem to appreciate my masculinity and it brings out a ton of good things in me. Just something hot about a woman who wants to take care of you, even if you're fully capable and don't mind doing it yourself.

• Yes. Absolutely.

Before someone gets to be the mother of my kids, she needs to show me that she is capable of doing a good job of being a mother for my kids.

• I love it, but I am at an age where I am looking for something much more domestic than what most of the young guys are looking for.

• most guys will love it. Will it make any difference when someone is deciding to ask you to marry them? I sure hope not. it might for some. but in the end all that should matter is if you love that person more then anything else. can you or would you want to, live without them or not?

• It depends on the man. In cases like cleaning, it's an especially polarized scenario. We like having a clean house, but some of us don't think it's worth the amount of work it would take to pass a white glove inspection. So when she shows that high a dedication to cleanliness, some men might love it, but others would feel rejected and picked-on by her need to clean everything up. As it turns out, my fiancee is a slight neat freak and I'm more aligned with the second category of men, but I love her despite it. :p. As for other "wife skills", as long as you're humble about them, they will be deemed either neutral or positive. Just try not to be prideful about them. Otherwise your man could perceive the showing of these skills as a form of guilt manipulation.

• sure it's good to see those things

• I would find it endearing. As long as your not a maniac who goes round picking this up, and cleaning things all the time lol.

• I would credit you and say that is awesome you can do them things
    some guys are ungrateful of their girlfriends how i wish i had a girlfriend
    who i could praise her for things and love her with all my heart ,

• I think he means it in a good way. He is saying that these are things he considers to be important in a spouse. By using the phrase brownie points he is letting you know that it's not a deal breaker for himself but that he really appreciates it and finds this quality appealing. He doesn't want you to feel pressured though.

• Hell yeah we notice. One of the 1st time I stayed at my GF's place, the next morning she offered me breakfast, made me coffee, folded my clothes and gave me her spare keys so I could sleep in while she went to work (I was off that day).

That's stuff went straight to the 'Long term potential' list.

• Guys love it. If a guy is looking for a long term relationship, or a "keeper" these will indicate to him that you are not going to be a freeloader, and that you have more to contribute to the relationship than just sex or entertainment. If he is condescending about it, then he may not be looking for a long term relationship, or he is just being stupid and unappreciative of a feminine girl.

• I'm very ok with girls choosing to be who they are and do what they want. But when a girl does these kind of things it automatically makes me feel a LOT better about her. I've asked girls out for simple things like offering to throw my trash away for me.

• Of course! But why would you make the bed before you get in it? Wouldn't you make it in the morning so it looks good all day?

• Because we had previously been in the bed, got out and re made it before we got in again.

• Personally, I love when a girl shows off her "wife skills". It shows her maturity.

• YES It's AWESOME. It's getting harder and harder to find women like that, so it automatically puts you above the competition.

• It can be an attractive quality if any potential partner can be a homey person. It's more appealing than someone who's a complete slob in how they approach maintaining the house, put it that way.

I suppose you could call that wife skills.

• Absolutely. It shows that they are willing to bring something to the relationship besides their body.

• HELL TO THE FLIPPIN' YESSS. It would be a dream kum true to have one like dat cuz nowadays are filled with feminist

• Fun fact: many feminists are also okay with being housewives. :) They are all for girls doing whatever they choose.

• @snowangle so wouod u be ma wifey 💍
      I have long search for a cutie like u ever since i was in mummy stomach :3

• I also love cooking so much, i enjoy cooking delicious meals for people and see their responds XD

• No I hate it, I want to do everything, go watch TV or something, or girl things while I get lost in my own world.

• Sure, I like it. Not sure why your boy would say it in a condescending way. If anything, I suppose the guy should be doing that too, not so much to show his "husband skills", but just so that... I don't know - it improves life?

• Just teasing you voices are poor at translating what people really mean.

• Yes! That kind of stuff is awesome! Plus, cooking. If you can cook, you can pretty much get me to do anything.

• Im 19 so i prefer my girlfriends/ hookups to not remind me if my mom lol. I dont want complete bitches but someone who feels more like a good friend i have sex with. Get what i mean?

• It's neat, like oh good she's helpful. But I don't see it as being a wifey, just being able to assist with upkeep.

• More from Guys
    19

What Girls Said 8

• "Wife skills"? Really? Is this your end game, to simply get married? What about finding a man to be your partner through life? Why don't you focus on just being the best person you can be, and stop focusing on having a certain set of skills that you think guys might be attracted to.

• How other people do not See this and See the term "wife skills" as something normal bothers me so much

• I guess some people just have bigger aspirations than just becoming and being someone's spouse.

• Yes because even if they don't admit it, they're judging what you do or don't do. They want to see if there's anything long term there

• i think it is fine.. they don't really care about this stuff.. not sure tho.

• guys like it... but I like it more if my boyfriend knows how to do it too. I want to split chores 50/50 with him. I think me help paying for stuff/our rent is more important than doing chores to be honest.

• I really don't think it is realistic to split all chores 50/50. People have different standards of what is clean. You might be done cleaning, then he comes in and starts complaining about why things are still not up to his standards. Then on something else he might think he is done, and you can't imagine how he could have done such a bad job. Then a fight breaks out because you both feel under appreciated, and like the other one is trying to control you. What normally ends up happening, is one starts to constantly complain about the other one, until the other one gives up and stop helping at all since they aren't being appreciated.

• Until you get married, or have kids. Then the lines between his stuff and your stuff starts to blur. In a long term relationship its harder than you think. Often you can feel you are doing more than the other person, and they accuse you of not pulling your weight.

• @heavensgift2girls I could see that happening... but hell, we could hire a housekeeper once or twice a week.

• That's not life skills.. He's lucky he got you cos you like to be neat and tidy.

• Those are life skills not wife skills.

• Of course they do!

• Its funny to read a lot of the guys responses on here, they love a girl who can take care of themselves, but when I asked "Guys, what do you bring to a relationship" they go batshit crazy :)

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1669450-guys-what-do-you-bring-to-a-relationship