Should the guy pay for dinner on the first date? or any other date?

i kinda feel uncomfortable when someone pays for me, except if it's someone close like my dad or if I've been dating the guy for many dates. the last guy I was dating he asked me what do I think about the girls who make the guy pay them for everything and I just said that I'm an independent woman and I don't need anyone to be paying me for anything (unless it's my dad or brother etc) so that night I paid my dinner but the rest of the others dates and dinners we had he didn't let me pay. it is ok that or should the guy be paying everything?

so if he doesn't pay on the first date should u leave him?

Most Helpful Guy

• Speaking as a man, I really like to pay in the very beginning.

Call it traditional, old fashioned, whatever; it's what I like.

• @DodgersGM
      I agree, some traditions should live on. Its also a good way to see if he actually works or is financially stable which can lead on to he has his life in control.

• @DodgersGM @BlueMax- I agree, Thanks! :D
      @GirlsLie- By having a conversation of what she does for a living? Its good to see a man reliable, and its only a first date or two tradition.

• so if he didn't pay for the first but for the rest of dates, it isn't reliable?

Most Helpful Girl

• Independent women who feel like they can't let a man treat them like a lady tend to end up with fuckboys who expect to be taken care of. I'm not saying be dependent off a guy to live and ask him to pay your bills, but if he asks you on a date he can pay for dinner.

• so he asked u out ans you say ok let's have dinner, he should pay? I'm just trying to see the whole pictire cuz recently this guy left me. and it was like he doesn't care

• I would pay for myself but he wouldn't be seeing me again on a date

• just move on?

What Guys Said 11

• I always pay on the first date, but then again I'm almost always the one who asked. However, if a woman objected to me paying, I have no problem with it.

• A good rule is when he asks you out he should pay, as he invited you. If you ask him out it should be your responsibility to pay, as he is your guest.

• and if he asked me out and I said ok let's have dinner. it's the same?

• what do you think if he didn't pay for the first date but he did pay the follow dates?

• It's odd, I would pay for the first date. Even when I met a casual hookup at a strip bar (yes she invited me to meet her and her friend at a strip club) I bought the first round of drinks and paid for my own alcohol. I don't know what to think about that.

• It depends on the individuals. I'm one to always pay for the first date.

• Where da FAWK is gender EQUALITY?

• I think the one who has more income should be courteous and should offer.

• @Downvote Yes, even if the female is the one who earns more, then SHE should be the one to offer.

• No not for everything but you know paying the bills of a Girl or Lady simply creates an image of a Gentlemen.
    So that's the reason behind 95% Guys wanna pay the bills especially on their Dates.

• I think dinner is a bad first date to begin with.

• NO THE GUY SHOULD NOT

He tries to pay for everything because he thinks that what men do. He thinks that "FROM YOUR perspective" men have to pay for the date and you are just testing him

• i wasn't testing. but this guy told me that in his country girls do it a lot just to test the guy. I said is silly. I only feel comfortable if its someone close to me like my dad. and he said he agreed so we split the check. but next date I was going to pay for my stuff and he didn't allow me.

• It doesn't matter, he pays, you pay, the only consequences are whatever y'all bring to the topic.

• Split it or I'm going to the bathroom and ditching you with the check. It's only fair.

• I rather pay. I want my Lover to relax. :).

What Girls Said 5

• I was raised pretty old fashioned when it comes to paying for dates, but first date he pays (he asked her out). From then on we take turns.

• First date he pays. Then we both just take turns. That's how it goes with my dates.

• I think for the first couple of dates yes, once you guys are together i see nothing wrong with the girl paying, guys deserve to be spoiled too.

• Split the bill. Once in awhile is okay for the guy to pay but not all the time. I feel uncomfortable when a guy pays for everything, im from a rich family and him doing that makes me feel like ad if i cannot pay for myself or that im poor.

• and if a guy doesn't pay for the first dates would u leave him?

• No, why would i? I never want he guy to pau on the first date.

• this guy told me in his country girls do it a lot to test guys and if the guy doesn't pay for the first date, girls won't date the guy ever again. But a lot of people here thinks guy should pay on the firsts dates. I'm not poor but i'm not rich either, but i feel related to what u said that if makes u feel like u can't pay for u when u can.

• I feel the same way as you, I wouldn't feel comfortable about a guy paying for a date unless we'd already agreed on it (like if it was for a special occasion) and/or we were comfortable doing that