What does it really mean when someone is "out of your league"?

• (Looks) It means that she's way too hot for you OR your way too ugly for her
  • (Character Traits) The two of you don't have interests/hobbies in common

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't believe in leagues. I think it's just an excuse to put people down.

Most Helpful Guy

• Looks , i will NEVER date or have a long term relationship with a hot or a very amazing woman in terms of looks , not that i have anything against them but i just will not be able to hold their expectations

They expect you to be WAY WAY too much when u can just go and have a fun and good relationship with a normal woman and keep it just *simple*

I think thats best about life , simplicity , i do not want a woman whom i have to wake up every morning worrying about ( am i good enough to keep up with her )

Thats not to mention that 99% of them have *AMAZING* personality...

What Girls Said 8

• Usually, I hear it used in reference to someone being more attractive than the other person.

I personally don't believe in "leagues".
    I believe there's more than meets the eye.
    Someone can appear hotter than their partner, but how can we automatically assume that person is out of their s/o's need solely based on the surface?
    We don't even know what character traits that person possesses.
    For all we know the person could be a liar, cheater, manipulator etc.

The term "out of your league"
    can also be used in reference to personality traits.
    But it is rarely ever used that way.
    It usually can describe someone who is intelligent, good career, etc dating someone who is not so smart, terrible job etc.

• I actually don't believe in leagues either because looks are number 2 no number one but so many people seem to bring up leagues I just wanted to see what exactly they meant

• Yes, right.
      What I described is what they mean.
      It's pretty much saying someone is better than you (physically in appearance ).
      Few times is it based on an intellectual level or what you're doing with your life

• Knew a girl in school who had to be 130, soaking wet. She was a track star and overall desirable. Her boyfriend in junior year had to be 3-4 stone overweight, used chew tobacco, worked at Pizza Hut, and lived with his mom at 34 yoa. Leagues are BS!

• I think most people use it in terms of appearance. Sometimes it's used in other ways, like if one person is rich and the other is poor, or one person has their shit together and the other doesn't. I've never really heard it used in terms of having different interests or hobbies, as that doesn't typically mean that one person is "too good" for the other, just that they might not be compatible.

It generally means that the person probably wouldn't consider you as a perspective partner because they can easily attract people who are "better" than you, or you likely wouldn't meet their standards.

• I've always believed it's for looks. I will never ever go for an attractive guy because I know he is out of my league. I am extremely ugly. I get rejected all the time, so I know I'd be wasting my time by going for the hot guy. I generally ignore attractive men unless I have to talk to them. One of my friends is extremely attractive, and the only reason we talk is because we're co-workers. If I saw him on the streets I wouldn't talk to him just because I would assume that he wouldn't want anything to do with me.

• Both. But people usually refer to looks when they talk about leagues. It's not uncommon that people bring up character traits too, though. Like if someone is a total loser with zero ambition and is completely boring, then obviously someone smart, funny, cool and adventurous is totally out of their league.

• Closer to A. but it doesn't necessarily have to be about looks. Like someone with a great personality is out of an assholes league

• I would believe it's in relation to looks

• Either looks or class or both. When its character traits its called something else.

• B is usually referred to as "we aren't a good match."

Though sometimes character traits can come into play, such as if the person is super smart, talented, charismatic, well-behaved/generous/kind, etc.

What Guys Said 13

• The only way for someone to be out of your league is if they put you there, or you put yourself there. Nobody is out of your league by default. However, individuals can have their own preferences and standards that put you out of their league. But that's on an individual basis, so you can never assume anything just because they are good looking, rich, educated, different social class, popular, or whatever.

• There is no such thing as out of your league, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing average and even kind of ugly guys with bombshell women.

Either someone likes ya or they don't, for stuff like what I said above the guys win because of their personality among other things, the same applies to women as well.

• Out of your league, when referring to a girl out of a guys league 100% of the times it is looks.
    When it's the other way around it has to be an attractive+successful guy when saying he's out of a girls league. But you usually never hear it unless it is the first scenario

• That the person who says that a girl is out of his league is blaming leagues on that, not themselves.

There are no leagues. You can only make them up in your own head to have an excuse not to do the approaching, because you gave up beforehand already

• It's awesome to meet so many like-minded people here.

• @SIGguy Yay another one who thinks like me! :)

I think life is what you make of it. Of course luck is also a factor, but you can change a lot with the way you think and act :)

• It means both of those things. If a person makes way more money or has a much better education then you will never get together unless some strange stroke of luck. If a person has a much better social status it will never happen. And if the person is waaay more attractive then it probably won't happen.

• Looks, character traits, intelligence, money etc

• I think it's more character traits than looks to be honest.
    I've seen ugly girls with good looking guys and vice versa.

• Leagues are BS when you've got hot girls dating goofy-looking, ugly, or average guys, and vice versa. My best friend dated this girl who had a good looking body but her face had seen better days (colloquially known as a butterface).

• More often it means appearance.

• It can be both. But its usually not character traits but social and financial status as well as looks when your "league" comes into play.

• It's usually the first, but sometimes it's both.

• It's looks or just status in general

• It means what you bring to the table is negligible when in a relationship w/ that person.