Why can't I just "admit" that I'd like to be in a relationship?

I'm single and have been for a few years now. I don't mind being single, but I'd like to be with someone. Last year around my birthday, my mom asked me if there was anything in particular that I wanted. I said "Well, if you know any single women near my age" and she gave me a "Well, maybe..." kind of look. Right after that, I just kind of laughed it off.

A few months ago, a friend asked me if I was single and suggested setting me up with her sister. I said she didn't have to, but I wouldn't argue with her and played up how busy I was (and I really was, but I would have made time). Then recently, another friend's dad and he asked me if I was seeing anyone. I told him in a joking kind of tone "No, but if you know anyone..."

So what gives? Why do I act like it's not a big deal? I mean, it is, but not to the point that I wake up, go through my day, and go to bed thinking about how to find a girlfriend. Why do I have such trouble "admitting" that I'd like to date someone?

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe you're scared that something will go wrong and you will get hurt. So you would rather act like you don't care rather than taking the chance.

• Well I have had some really bad experiences with the women I've dated. I don't think about then anymore though. I've moved on from them.

• Same with me. But the thing is that even after you've moved on and don't think about them anymore, the pain from those experiences will still stay with you.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because your trying to guard yourself from the possibility of getting hurt. You may of had previous experience of dating someone, and it didn't go well. You gotta get yourself out there and take a chance.

• That does make sense. I've had some unpleasant experiences, but I've moved past them.

• Yeah, it's the best thing to do. But remember that what your feeling, other girls you see, are probably feeling it too.

What Girls Said 1

• I think you've already admitted it, but maybe you're not fully acting on it... Maybe it's time to start going out more and meet people?

What Guys Said 1

• To me it sounds like u are afraid of getting emotionally hurt, so u don't make any moves in the dating world.