What age would you allow your children to start dating?

My mom didn't tell me a specific age. I just told her i was dating someone at 13 and she went along with it.

• 12 and below
  • 13-14
  • 15-16
  • 17-18
  • Theyre not dating as long as theyre under my roof >_>

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• 16-17.

Anything before that is just stupid.

Of course, maybe I'm just biased because it just didn't work out for me at all back when I was 14-15. Maybe other people are more mature by that time than I was. I don't know.

But if they start dating at like, 15, then just tell them about contraceptions and STDs and all that and give them some condoms (regardless of their sex). I'm not going to literally prohibit them from having a social life unless it's legitimately detrimental, like telling my kid to smoke weed, drink out every night, etc.

What Girls Said 24

• If I had a kid I'd do what my parents did.

I was allowed to date whenever I wanted. I just wasn't allowed to have them over, and my parents would neither give me money or drive me on my dates.

So... if I could find my own transportation and finances and they didn't step foot in my house then we could date :p

Funny how a kid only hears the "yes, you can date" part but doesn't stop to consider the conditions. It's almost like they planned it so I wouldn't date until I was at least sixteen lmao

• I can't really stop them dating if they want to, so I'm not going to place any boundaries on it. I'd prefer they waited until they were 15 or 16.

• Maybe at 17-19 because I want them to be a little bit mature and realize what they're going through or let's say an understand what does the world "Relationship" actually means. I don't want them today's pretty young like 13-16 because they will be just under a great pressure from their teen friends who are talking about kissing, sex and nothing else and i don't want my kids to be like that. Long story short I could be wrong in that or I could be right, I don't know but I'm sure this is what I want for my kids.

• My mum never controlled me on how old I could start to be in a relationship. But she did state that she wouldn't drive me to the venues of my dates and she wouldn't give me extra money for my dates either. I don't have pocket money either.

So I'd do exactly the same as my mum.

• I think that between 15-16 is the ideal age. At that point you're theoretically a little more emotionally mature. I probably wouldn't prevent my child from dating at 13 or 14 but I don't know if I would be entirely comfortable with it.

• I wouldn't tell them an age because not allowing them to date doesn't mean they won't do it. It just means they'll do it and hide stuff from me, which can cause a lot of problems. I'd rather wait for them to do it when they want, guide them and be there for them.

• Maybe never. Have you seen this site? I know how guys can be and their is a lot of creeps and pervs out there. I know this personally. I'm having fun, but I've been corrupted. My advice to a younger me ---- WAIT!!! Though I didn't seem to have much choice... Than agoan, I hpe to never have any kids.

• All of the following are very young... Once they're mature enough, I won't allow them to fool around, they have to be serious

• I would want them to date at 17 and 18 you can't do much about that. If she/he was under 17 there are rules. Focus on school and there are certain times they can see each other.

• I started dating around 15, and I think that's a good age. It teaches kids how to interact better in a romantic sense. I think banning dating as a teen only leads to a lot of emotionally stunted or socially awkward adults.

• They can date when they get married.

• I think 16's about right. But no sex until they're living out on their own.

• I said 15-16 but lean closer to 16. That's the age I started at.

• 16-17 is the most appropriate

• Same age I started dating so 15 and up.

• Around 16 and up.

• They're not dating as long as they're under my roof, because I know if I let them date I will get in trouble by my parents.

• 16 is a nice age

• C. I guess to me it's a good age to experience and learn from it. Just hope their using some kind of protection.

• they need to be mature enough

• I started at 14 so yeah but was also having sex at 16 so I would hope they would wait longer but yeah right now days so I guess when their daddy says its ok

• I wouldn't specify an age because if kids want to date they'll just go behind their parents backs. I grew up in a home where you can't date until you've been in a stable job for a while AND have finished education. And my parents wouldn't be happy if they knew I'd only met someone on Facebook and communicated by phone and not in person. I have mutual friends in common so he's not a random stranger. I have some group activities planned so after a few we could go public perhaps. I wouldn't want my kids sneaking around like me and my sister have to.

• i think 15 is old enough.

• I think 16

What Guys Said 16

• As soon as my kid became interested in dating, I would just make sure that they were well-informed about both the biological and legal facts of sex Girls should be vaccinated against HPV, and should be on some form of birth control if they are going to be alone with boys. Boys and girls should know the how and why of condom use, and the legality of underage sex in their locality. Is some of the United Stated it is illegal for two teenagers to have sex at all, regardless of consent or the difference in age.

• I'd prefer to wait until they were at least 16 and I'd like to meet the girl or guy in question to, just to get a feel for the kind of person they were.

• Really "Dating"? probably not until 17/18 when they are more mature. However, If they are younger then I probably wouldn't mind it "unofficially" so to speak.

• It should be gradually... If you suddenly allow it at 16 it might be to much all of a sudden.
    In the US it is also kind of weird because apparently only few people are/were allowed to have a boyfriend over.
    I would actually prefer my girl / son to have her first experience at a place she knows/ feels comfortable - not at some older guys place / hotel / car whatever

• When they're old enough to drive AND work.

• I don't have kids but if I had a daughter I would hunt down any guy that looked at her even when she is 30

• I say middle school is ok to start dating (with more "leash" as he/she gets older, of course!)

• #MikeyLike age 16-18. Gotta keep an eye on them sneaky ones though

• I started at 11 so 11

• Any age, even little kids seem to feel attraction for each other.
    A few weeks ago I just seen a 3-6y old guy kiss a girl at his age and nobody had to tell him to do that

• Whenever they're ready, no matter what age

• Only after they're married

• 18. i see kids dating too soon... it never ends well.

• i don't want kids.. but if somehow.. i guess 15...

• When they finished university and have a doctorate in something that's not arts or social studies.

• Sons ASAP, even in the cradle. Daughters, 16+