Would you date an atheist?

How much does someone's religious views affect if you would date them or not? This is assuming you are compatible in every other way, like each other, etc.

Please recognize that atheist comes from "a-" meaning "not" and "-theist" meaning "believer in God". It is simply a person who does not believe in God, Gods, etc.

• I would date an atheist, no problem
  • It would affect me, but I'd do it and make it work
  • It would affect me, but I'd struggle and it would be difficult
  • I would not date an atheist, no way

Most Helpful Girl

• As long as he respects my beliefs, I'm okay.

Most Helpful Guy

• A self proclaimed Atheist? Nope

I'd be open to an agnostic but atheism like all religions has become an identity with people like Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris as it's vicers of their disciples.

The reason why I'd be more open to an agnostic as oposed to an atheist is the reasons below. Also the fact that rather than challenge their own theories against their own criteria, they tend to unobjectively assert them as facts that all other beliefs need to fit.

- The belief in scientism (as opposed to science)
    - The belief in reductionism
    - The belief in naturalism
    - The belief in morality (heck some atheists even belief in objective morals yet never define them)
    - The belief in the brain as a mindless system of reactions (thus no basis for trusting any beliefs including their own)

I would enjoy discussing certain things but not if there i no possibility of a discussion other than "I'm right, God doesn't exist end of debate" type reasoning

• Someone who acknowledges that they lack belief in god/s can be classified as an atheist (using some definitions, such as the asker's) - that would make most agnostics also atheists.

Would you date a religious atheist? (Such as some buddhists who don't see Siddhartha as a god.)

• the thing with this is , like all religions, Atheism has it's denominations with varying beliefs. Some atheists are more thoguht through than others, you're generic new age teenage convert generally hasn't thought through any of the questions deeply to have even a rational basis for any belief outside naturalism.

Atheism begins from the conclusion that naturalism is true and materialism is all there is. Thus anything outside that isn't capable of fitting

"However, there is one quote here:
      "You, your joys and your sorrows. Your sense of personality identity and free will are no more than a vast assembly of mindless atoms and their associated DNA"

That is exactly how it is. "

You don't quite get this point, Francis Crik was asserting the same thing Dawkins asserts (whom he quotes from in his books too)

What he was saying is your concept of "free will" rational though and a mind are all objects of your irrational brain that isn't intelligently able to decither one fact from another

• you're a brain on auto pilot strapped in on the front seat of a roller coaster that you think you're journeying through

What Girls Said 24

• Of course, I'd prefer to date an atheist since I am an atheist myself.

• I sure would, actually am dating one now.
    I don't identify myself as belonging to any religion so it's nice to be with someone that I don't have to worry will try to push their religion and any religion-influenced traditions on me.

• Seeing as I am one, yes.
    I would not date a religious person.

• nah i wouldn't. too complicated.

• I would not date an atheist. Sorrry.

• Yes. I would. Just because someone isn't religious and chooses to identify as atheist doesn't mean they are mean religion haters.
    I could say something like Sam Harris is really smart or Lawrence Krauss would be grating as a partner, but those two men don't define a group of people who have non-belief in common. Just like Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi doesn't define Muslims or Lady Teresa didn't define all Catholics.
    -coming from a "non-religious" person.

• I would, because I'm an Atheist. But if I was religious, I probably still would. I think they'd cause less issues than dating someone with an opposing religion.

• Yeah I would as long as they do respect mine.

• Being as I am one...

• I would date an atheist or someone of any religion. The only dealbreaker would be a person who doesn't respect my beliefs and/or expects me to convert to their religion.

• I'm an atheist, so the answer is yes. I would date someone who believes in God (or gods), as long as they respect my beliefs and don't use there's to try to hurt me.

• I sure would, why not?

• I don't have a problem dating people of other religions, but I don't date atheists anymore.

• Wouldn't you have more in common with an atheist? You only disagree about one god (assuming you're monotheistic), whereas if you date someone of another religion you'll disagree about at least two gods.

• @Byyshe

Also, your links definition agrees with me
      :"tending gradually to cause doubt, distrust, or change of outlook often in a slyly subtle manner "

• @Bysshe

Realized I was misreading the spelling

• I am a atheist myself so of course I'll date one. I would never date a religious person though. They're too judgmental for me. I like open minded guys

• Not a chance.

• I wouldn't care Lol... people have a right to believe in whatever they want, if we're compatible in ways that actually matter, why not...

• As long as they are respectful of my religion, yes

• Not a strong staunch atheist. They are troubled people.

• I would most certainly date an atheist and I am one myself. However, I would date a religous person as long as they respect my opinion and don't force their opinion on me. It's that simple it's not about religion it's about respect.

• I am dating an Atheist.

• I am an atheist myself, and I will only date other atheists.

• No, I would not.

• I'd prefer it, but then I'm an atheist as well.. So.

• have always been an atheist so duh no problem

What Guys Said 26

• 2|5
  • Depends, I find that many atheist are as preachy and dogmatic as religious people so that kind of athiest no. But if they where reasonable people and willing to allow others to believe as they will then I would have no problem.(I'm an agnostic so don't know if your question was directed to religious people or not)

• Nope. I wouldn't. See this idea of compatible in every other way may seem nice but eventually there will be brought up things where you would need a compatible or somewhat compatible belief rather than something that will just cause unnecessary tension, stress, conflict and possibly worse between the two.

• I'm a moral buddhist spiritual apatheist; I'd date someone who has a strong belief in their religion over an atheist almost any day. Atheism is more about social rights and political ideology than it is about the lack or belief itself. I kind of think it's stupid to label yourself just for not having a belief and claiming it not to be a religion when there are strict dogmas to follow. I label myself an apatheist for philosophical reasons, specifically that I'm leaning towards the ideological structure of that of a utilitarian but that's harder to explain than I'd like to admit so we'll just leave it at, probably not unless that person really just doesn't give a shit about the question of whether a higher power exists or not but they do the right thing and make people happy anyway.

• Does your belief system involve deities?

• @Bysshe I'm watching this conversation go over your head, the cringing I'm experiencing trying to explain this to you should be palpable. I'm going to have to remove myself from this conversation as I have found, yet another of the many, person that does not understand the foundation of the concept we are discussing. I'm sorry, but you're not capable of being involved in this conversation.

• Under my feet actually, I'm in the antipodes.

• I would, literally no-one I know in the UK is religious. Religion is pretty much dead here. People just go about their day without it

• Yes, I would. However, given that I'm an agnostic leaning towards atheism, this isn't much of an accommodation for me. I would date a religious person if they understood where I was coming from.

• I don't see why any religious belief or non-belief should deter me from a relationship. As long as they're not jerks we'll be fine. (this includes religious people seeing as how I'm non-religious) I don't like it when anyone pushes their views onto other people, but I'm completely fine whenever they keep it to themselves, and I don't mind having a discussion or two every once in awhile about beliefs. (yes, a few atheists can be rude just like religious people can, but the important thing here is that it shouldn't matter what your beliefs are as long as you're accepting and non judgmental about the differences in other people)

• That won't ever happen unless she tried to trick me but sooner or later I would find out and cut it off.

• Different religious beliefs are totally okay with me. She just needs to be a good person and be respectful of of my thoughts and beliefs. In turn, I will happily return that respect tenfold.

• They're not that hard to deal with. They simply don't bring up religion most of the time, so I don't see why that'd be hard.

• I'm technically an atheist, personally I prefer the term "irreligious", and I'd prefer to date someone who is also not religious, yes.

• Better question is: Would I date a non-atheist..

Yes I would. It would be so funny to tease her "Baby, I felt a draft. Do you think it was Jesus?"

• I'd even marry anon-atheist but only now, at an age I don't want children anymore. The religious brainwashing of children would be a breaking point.

• There is no problem in dating with an atheist, unless she do not interfere with my beliefs.
    I would never force her to believe what i am believing. Every person have their own ethics, way to sight. None should force anyone to believe, unless he/she want to believe any thing.
    by the way I am not a strong theist person, But I have faith in god.
    People should keep their relationship based on mutual understanding. There is no necessary that your partner would agree on every term you say. He/she may have different point of view, and as partner we should support her and respect her. But at the same time both should understand this thing, this is not one way road, buddy. ;)

• I'm married to an atheist, so were my parents and grandparents, so is my son.

• I AM an atheist. I would date anyone of any religion. EXCEPT the ones where u do blood sacrifices. And kill innocent animals.

• I date only atheists.

• Nope can't date outside my religion again.

• I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as they don't have a problem with my beliefs. Sometimes atheists can be very derogatory towards religious people, with always pisses me off, so in that case, yes I would.

• No I would not. They are annoying and whiny and entitled.

• I don't think I would.

• The polls say one thing, yet the comments say another. Alright then.

• I would help them believe in themselves because they don't and are miserable because that is who God is along with one ingredient.

• yes i would.

• I'd only date an athiest

• As an atheist, as long as she respects other's beliefs (she doesn't have to if a religious person isn't respecting our views!) in religion I don't mind.

• "a-" doesn't mean "not". You could have skipped the bogus derivation and just said atheist is someone who lacks belief in god/s.

You could have used more poll options to distinguish between those who are atheists and those who aren't.

I'm an atheist and would date one.