Is it normal for an 18 year old guy to have very few friends (especially female) and no girlfriend?

is it normal for an incoming college freshman to have very few friends, but a lot of acquaintances from high school? almost everyone I met had cliques and not looking for new friends or relationships. I have anxiety, but love meeting new people. my peers were focused on their studies and their friends. I felt really sad, especially when trying to befriend to only French student in school or the (few) PS4 owners. or even trying to befriend a pretty girl. EVERY single fucking person had cliques. how'll I get a girlfriend or even female friends at this rate?

Most Helpful Girl

• i thin its pretty normal. maybe you're just too busy or too into school or whatever to make friendships. its not that uncommon. you just gotta put urself out there and be confident about it :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Well the good news is that its normal. The bad news is that its hard to pick out the ones who dont have good friends. For instance, I am very much like you, I had a lot of acquaintances in high school. These were people who I would occasionally hang out with (maybe 3 or 4 times a month), they were people that I would sit with at lunch, and people that you would see me walking around the halls with at school. They were good guys (usually) but some of them got on my nerves, or weren't really that good of friends. Other people would look at me and say "wow that guy has friends", but to them I would say "no I dont". These weren't friends I felt comfortable confiding in, I didn't feel comfortable telling them about the issues I was having with my sister who is an alcoholic. I didn't feel comfortable talking to them about my issues because I didn't feel they were true, trustworthy friends. I wanted some good, true friends, but I didn't have any. I know in my school there were other people that felt like me, but I couldnt find them. They were hidden in some group of friends that weren't there true friends. When I got to college the situation was much the same, my friends were only people I hung out with so that I wasn't alone, I didn't hang out with them because they were my friends. I agree, it is so hard to make friends, especially when you are introverted, shy, and socially challenged (such as I am). People dont go out of their ways, and out of their cliques to be friends with me, they dont really try to talk to me unless I make the effort to talk to them. Girls are much the same way, since I am not particularly good looking, or funny, or intelligent, I dont stick out to them. I am too shy to talk to them upfront, but they dont approach me, instead preferring to stay with their cliques. This seems to be a very similar situation that you have, and I just want you to know that you aren't alone. My best friend is far and away my Computer, I play games on it, I interact with people online, I watch videos, and all kinds of stuff. I wish I could do more in real life, often times I wish I could clone myself so that I would have someone to hang out with, someone who always knows how I feel, and someone who wants to do stuff with me, because other guys I meet aren't nearly so reliable as myself. Women are even worse, a completely different story that I am not even going to touch right now.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 1

• Yes, it's fucking normal, stop being so whiny and insecure or you'll stay alone forever.