Are You an Atheist or a Believer?

If you are an Atheist, would you date a religious person?
If you are Religious, would you date an atheist?

I'm just curious, lol

Most Helpful Guy

• Hmm... I would say that my basic beliefs pretty much align with Christianity, however I am not very practicing in it at all. My family is all semi-standard practicing Catholic (not too religious but they still go to church and stuff), but I disagree with the church's way of doing things for some topics.

So I have basic belief in a higher power but I am DEFINITELY not very religous.

Because of my weak "meh" belief, I am open to dating an athiest or relgious person. I'm open to anyone.

• That's nice :) Thank you for answering

• this is the most relatable post! I am semi-christian but my parents still drag me to church because they think if i do that then i will become this perfect christian that believes in everything they do.

Most Helpful Girl

• That’s a good question; I’ve always wondered if as a religious person, if an atheist would ever date me. I personally would not mind, basically all of my friends are atheists and I respect that, that is their belief, and they respect mine, and there really isn’t a real need to go on about each other’s views because it shouldn’t matter. You date someone for them; not their religion or lack of religion. So for me, yeah I would date an atheist as long as they respected what I believe.

What Guys Said 59

• I don't consider myself very religious, but i would like someone of the same faith. Having said that if i really loved a girl who was an atheist... i would not mind. But then again... its a difficult one. My wife is more religious than i am and i enjoy all the ancient stories she tells me.

• Atheist, and yes I could. They'd have to be willing to talk about it though. I don't mind them coming to a different conclusion than me, but I love talking about religion, and learning about it. So yeahhhh...

• christian. i many reasons to believe what i do, like: 2 Timothy 3:1-7: But know this, that in the last days+ critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power;+ and from these turn away. 6 From among these arise men who slyly work their way into households and captivate weak women loaded down with sins, led by various desires, 7 always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth. or Luke 17:26, 27
    26 Moreover, just as it occurred in the days of Noah, so it will be in the days of the Son of man: 27 they were eating, they were drinking, men were marrying, women were being given in marriage until that day when Noah entered into the ark, and the Flood came and destroyed them all. you can call bs if you want, but before you do, i want you you to take a good, long look at at our world. but yes, if an atheist was willing to give my religion a chance, then i would date her.

• Ah! Thank you for answering :)
      It's great to see so many atheist willing to date religious person. And many religious people willing to date an atheist

• does help open the way. i wouldn't marry oneb, however... too many complications.

• I'm an atheist and I would maybe date a religious person.
    Depends on what kind of believer she ws.
    If she was like a crazy cult follower who constantly tried to convert me then absolutely not.
    If she kept our relationship completely secular then yes.

• I'm an atheist. I would date a religious person as long as she didn't expect me to get involved in her religion and her religion didn't interfere with our life together.

• I'm an atheist, but I would date some religious girl - if she wouldn't try to impose her religion on me.

• (Im an Agnostic Atheist btw)

I would not date a Religious person no.

I could not handle such a massive level of arrogance.

• I accidentally upvoted him, lol. Calling Atheist shortsighted was really stupid I agree.

And thank you for answering!

• I'm a religious person, who happens to pray all five of my prayers a day. So... NO, i would not date an atheist.

• I'm an atheist. I wouldn't date a religious person who goes to church or are devoted to her religion etc. If she didn't do that, but just considered herself religious I wouldn't mind unless she tried to push her believes onto me, but that kinda goes together with what I just mentioned.

• So you just want someone who is super religious.. Ah! Got it. Thanks for answering :)

• I read some of the people mention kids could become an issue.

I'd expect the person to not push her believes onto the kid, exactly like I wouldn't say "there definitely is no God" to the kid.

Schools here doesn't teach people to believe in religion like I've heard US schools do. They just teach about different religions, so that wouldn't be an influence either.

• I completely agree with you. It's cool as long as they don't impose their beliefs on kids. Let the kids decide if they want to believe or not.
      Wow, that's awesome

• I'd prefer not. It might seem like we get along and all that, but on a fundamental level we see the world differently. I should be hard to feel true kinship with someone who thinks so differently.

• The interesting thing about this question is both qualify as believers. And no i wouldn't date an atheist because I'm not short sighted

• Or maybe neither too. It is possible for a theist to not to be a believer.

• "Calling atheists shortsighted... How hilariously hypocritical."

If you're going to get offended. At least have an understanding of the thing you're being offended by.

I said... dating an atheist or indeed anyone of an opposing religion is itself short sighted. Short sighted in the sense that the relationship is viewed short term and doesn't include the ideas of marriage, raising children, spiritual life as an obvious long term relationship concern.

However there have been numerous psychological studies that have highlighted the short sighted nature of atheist belief in men. I included multiple study links in my most recent answer to another atheist question.

Hmm. .. on your second emotional point. You seem to really rely on the assumption that people whom are Christian ate biblical literalists the same way atheists are. You'll struggle to even find a Christian group that's as fundamentally literalists as an atheist that reads the bible funnily enough to read whatever

• Provides confirmation bias rather than also using history and science in complementarity.

Your reductionist and simplistic view of religion is going to keep you intellectually backwards but whatever. .. not my problem. That's why you're an atheist

• I'm neither. I just don't think about it. But to answer, I would probably be an atheist, and would date a religious person as long as it didn't affect the relationship.

• Yeah, i would date a girl no matter what her religion is
    i guess as long as she doesn't put any black magic spells on me hahaha XD

• I identify as an Atheist, I think i could date a religious person but if they try to convert me... would probably lead them to denouncing their faith.

• A believer in what?

I consider myself neither.

I do have my own views/beliefs though.

• Believer in God

• Then the answer is no, I am not
      But I am a believer of "concepts"

The belief of another person would not be a problem to me
      they're allowed theirs, if they'll allow mine.

• So, in short you're willinh to date a religious person as long as they don't try to impose their beliefs on you? Ah, okay. :)
      Thank you for answering.

• Atheist. I wouldn't rule out dating a religious person as long as i like them and they are not opressive with it

• I'm non-religious, (technically atheist, but the previous term covers more ground) but I find what others believe simply irrelevant to whether or not I like them. As long as religious people don't force their views on other people, I'm fine. I'm completely content being with someone who happens to be religious. Religion doesn't matter, character does.

• I would be fine with dating a believer of most religions (I will most likely never date a Wiccan) as long as she didn't expect me to conform to her beliefs.

• I come closer to atheist, when I was young and went to a catholic school there was far to much pressure to go to church. It was made into an obligation :o
    But I would be happy to learn to know a girl from any religion, no problem at all :D

• I am religious. And yes I'd date an atheist if they were tolerate of my beliefs.

• Yes, let's forget the Agnostic folks, we don't exist...

I wouldn't date a religious person, but I could date an atheist.

• Not a belieber, would preferably not date a religious person.

• I'm a christian and I could date an atheist if I loved them enough and they weren't mean and mead fun of me for believing in god.

• Yeah, making fun of others belief isn't cool. Unacceptable. Thanks for answering :)

• i am and will always be atheist... no one has/can seen/see the beginning of time... so there's no evidence to support god... likewise no evidence to deny his existence either & yes religion is not important to me.. i'd date/have relationship with a woman i love ;) @Genie23

• I'm a theist but the girl I'm crushing on is a Muslim I'm amarican and her parents hate Americans. But we get along great.

• I'm atheist yes. i could date a religious person as long as it wasn't too devout or into it. Like someone who practices their faith privately.

• I'm a Pentecostal.

• I would never date an Atheist! We would lose our heads, our tempers, and our virginities! I'll only date Theists!

• i dont care if she loves me and is pretty why not?

• I'm atheist and agnostic, I would not date a religious girl.

• More from Guys
    29

What Girls Said 27

• I'm an atheist. Obviously I would rather date someone non-religious, with the same views. But I'm not opposed to dating a religious guy under the condition that he's not like SUPER religious and respects my views and doesn't try to change me.

• Yeah it will get annoying if he tries to impose his thoughts.. Thanks for answering:)

• @Mesonfielde I can see how that could be a problem 😐

• @Mesonfielde Yeah, that's one thing I really disagree with what the Catholic church teaches. They want to try and make you basically swear an oath that you'll raise your children to be Catholic. You have to in order to get married in the church.

I always have thought that the the children should be able to form their beliefs themselves.

• I'm an atheist, I'd have no issue dating a religious person as long as we were able to ignore our religious differences and not try to force our beliefs on each other.

• I'm an atheist and I could imagine dating a religious person although that would only work if that person was very tolerant towards atheists which I unfortunately don't find with majority of believers very often so I guess it might be a point that we would often get into arguments about because our opinions on this matter are really different – but you never know :)

• I would date a religious person as long as they're accepting of my lack of belief. I'm not interested in a partner who repeatedly makes jabs, patronizing remarks, or tries to convert me. I know not everyone's like that, but they do exist, and it's for the best if we don't get involved, lol.

• Hmm.. come to think of it, I'm not too religious at all. But tbh, I'd prefer to be in a relationship with someone of the same religion so that we don't always argue over different opinions and stuffs since I still do practice my religion, just that I don't agree with some of their beliefs of certain matters. However that being said, I'm not opposed to being in a relationship with an atheist as well. So long as he doesn't stop me from practicing my religion and respect my views.

• I'm an atheist. I would never date a devoutly religious person, but that's probably because they wouldn't want to date me either.

• Ah! But so many religious folks on here havw said they are willing to date an atheist 😳

• I guess you're right..😳

• Thank you for answering :)

• I'm not being rude or anything, but I don't think so. It seems that religion will get in the way which may cause some fights.

• i'm a believer and prefer someone who shared the same religious beliefs as me
    i find that interfaith relationships become more difficult in the long run, especially if you become serious with the person or should kids enter the picture
    at least if religion is important to you

• Yes it will probably create issues when kids came into your life..😳
      Thank you for answering:)

• i am semi religious. Grow up in a christian home (I am 16 and still living there obviously) but I find myself rejecting a lot of what they say in church. My parents make me go but I believe God created us and everything but not like you have to do this, this, and this and then you get to be judged and then if you pass that then you get to be "happy forever". I think I would date an atheist but not if they were the rude ones that challenge other people to believe what they believe.

• I'm a believer and I'm not sure if I would date an atheist. Probably not. There would be issues with where we get married and how we raise our kids and all.

• i am religious but respect others beliefs and if they do the same i will for them. so i would date an atheist. Plus there is ton of stuff to talk to talk about, our religion does not have to be it.

• That's awesome :)

• Thanks! I remember in my senior year of high school, an atheist called me open-minded. I was just like awww thank you.

• Awww :) Yes, many athiest are nice folks. They really respects othere beliefs and doesn't make fun of them. But sadly because of some rude atheist who makes fun of religious folks. Insults their belief.. it's giving other Atheist a bad name.

Thank you for answering :)

• I'm a believer, I could date an athiest as long as he's not a condescending ass about it!

• I'm an atheist and wouldn't date a religious person.

• I am a believer.. I haven't thought about dating..

• Im not atheist not religious, somewhat in between. I would date an atheist but not religious, tbh i can't stand religious people.

• Agnostic here. :D

• Religion didn't matter to me when dating because honestly I'm religiously confused. I don't know what to believe...

• I wouldn't mind either way as long as he didn't try to change my beliefs. I would respect his so he should do the same. And yes, I am a believer.

• I'm Agnostic, I'd date both as long as the religious person tries forcing me to join their religion. Had to much of that when I was a kid...

• I am Muslim and i would date an ateist. As long as they respect my religion.

• I am agnostic, you just never know until the time comes.

• But I doubt I would date a religious person. It just doesn't fit in with my world view. I can't get on board with that train of thought.

• You can't expect people to have the same beliefs and expect them to follow the rules of a religion you don't believe in. That's just silly.

• I agree. That's one of the reason, why I broke up. It just wasn't working out

• I'm an atheist. Would rather date a non-religious person.. But if a religious person is respectful I wouldn't mind dating them.

• Believer, after some recent discussions on this subject, no I would not date an atheist.

• 😩😩😩

• Lol you both are so cute! Haha :)
      Thank you for answering :)

• Aww np xD

• Believer and no thanks.

• Religious... will date only religious guy..

• I am a believer and no I would never date a atheist it'll only be a mess and a stress..

• I am a believer.