Do you believe in the "half your age + 7" rule?

The rule is the the minimum age you should date is half your age plus 7.

According to the rule, the minimum age for a 14 years old to date is 14. It's 21 for a 27 years old. 37 for a 60 years old. I think it makes sense for the most part.

• yes
  • no

Most Helpful Guy

• I mean, it seems like a sensible recommendation. Not a hard and fast rule, but an alright guideline. Especially for younger ages. I think older folks can get some more leeway.

Most Helpful Girl

• I say, if you're in love, why does age matter at all? Yeah there are laws but like it really doesn't matter, love who you want. I have no idea who came up with this rule, but this isn't the first time I've heard it. Oh my I am always all over the place in my answers. The point is, love who you love. Be happy with that person.

What Guys Said 39

• Let's see... going by that logic I'd be able to date basically people 16 years old (16.5 if you do the math. 16.8 if you factor in that I'm technically around 19.6ish years old)

Would I date a 16 year old? Honestly, it really depends on the maturity of the person. Granted, it wouldn't be a sexual relationship at all (partly because that is illegal where I live). But if I really did like the person I think I would date them. Guys and girls mature at different rates mentally too so for all I know, we may be compatible.

For the most part, the half age + seven rule seems to be reasonable. The main times where age really gets nit picky is in the 16 (and below) - 22ish range anyway.

• If you are 13 years old, you must date someone older than you. Most relationships between a 60 year old and a 37 year old will not last. No formula is an adequate substitute for using sound judgment about the two prospective partners and their potential compatibility.

• I voted B - My dating range is +/- 7 so I am 46 that means 39 to 53 - Obviously when you are younger the half your age + 7 is a good guide but should be changed over 25 to a fixed +/- .

• No, I think there's no right rule for that. I never heard about this rule until I registered here and saw people talking about it. It just doesn't exist where I live xD

• Legality and compatibility are all I really care about.

I mean, yeah, I do think it's kinda funny when I see MAJOR age discrepancies, but I get over it fast.

• I doubt I would date anyone younger than 30... simply because there gets to be to much of a disconnect in what we would have in common. I am a very outdoorsy kind of guy... and a lot of younger women are more interested in going to the club. I go dancing but I prefer swing and more classical-style dancing, and getting dressed up for it!

• There are young women who are into that!

• I have a tux though and I do like to dress-up and head out for some drinks and dancing.

• I'm sure being this kind of person has nothing to do with age

• Assuming there is nothing illegal happening, then any age is reasonable. No one can dictate who you fall in love with. You fall in love with a person, not their status, wealth, looks, age etc

• Yeah, everyone deserves to date who they want, except teens bc they're subhumans

• Congrats to you, @juicyjessie 🎉🎊🍕

• Thanks! He's a great guy. Worth waiting for!

• No. Never head that before. Besides I think that if I had to date a 22 ear old girl, I would get mentally tired.

• Nope. Love is love, as long as you are held responsible for knowing
    the difference between rape & love.
    Because there's a LOT of creeps/insanes out there.

** Age does not matter, only knowledge does. **
    ( EXCLUDING VERY YOUNG PEOPLE OF COURSE. ) ;p

• Excluding: no one. 14 years olds don't deserve love? 😜

• Hell yeah I deserve love !
      What kind of question is that ! 😂😂

Yeah , I know.
      Love is the universal bond between two people, that grows, no matter how weak the feelings get, it never fades.

Did I Nail it or WHAT. 😂😲😲😲

• deep 😎😎😎😎😎😎

• Never heard of that I date who I want when I want as long as there of age

• I wouldn't want to date anyone younger than 21 anyway. So even though I never heard about that before it kinda makes sense yeah.

• It's a good guide line

• No, age is just a number so i don't know all about this

• Nope, I've broken that rule.

• Its not really a rule but more of a ''code'' I guess.

• cool i can date 16 years old lmao! get out of here with that bs!
    i date who i want age is just a number ;)

• If you dated me, that'd be illegal

• lol i know! thats why i said its BS
      but i will date any lady who is older than me
      i would date a 40 year old woman if i thought she was hot and dtf

• No... I'd a rule of thumb at best. It's just a number date whoever you want as long as it's legal where you live

• It only applies at older ages. Almost anybody on here isn't going to have an applicable response because that person will either be underage or will be in college and god knows there's no dating a college girl once you're in your late 20s.

• Actually, the rule is most useful for younger ages.

13 is too young to be dating.
      14 is old enough for other 14 year-olds but no older
      15 can date 15 or 16
      16 can date 15 through 18
      17 can date 16 through 21 etc.

The rule is useful because it consistently changes the range of acceptable ages. A narrow range for younger people grows broader as age increases. Additionally, it manages the transition from teen into adult dating reasonably well.

No one cares who you are dating when you are 80 years old just so long as that person is also an adult.

• I just usually go for girls around my age.

• I like younger women 24 to 38.

• Seems logical

• I don't believe in it *as a rule*, but as a general concept it's in the right ballpark.

• I don't worry about age when it comes to attraction. What happens happens.

• if the person is an adult 20+, is their own decision who they will date.

• cause you can be physically adult at 18, but your mind and personality mature after, like 20 to 25.

• All I'm gonna say is this is different for everyone.

• I like to break rules 8)
    So, i just go to any person i feel it's interesting, if mentally matured.

• Yeah, what's that based off of, empirical evidence of some sort? No, just more stupid bullshit.

• What about 18 years olds?

• It's 16 I guess

• Just throwing this out there, in most states in the USA, the legal age that police can take you into custody for rape is 16. So that just shows that a 16 year old knows what they are doing.

• Well I'm a High School sophomore and I don't think I would date a grade above or below my current grade, which practically follows the Half-your-age plus seven rule.

• No.
    If a 50 year old wants to date a 24 year old, let them be. It's no-one else's business and the 24 year old is old enough to make their own decisions.

• no I would never date a 15 year old

• More from Guys
    9

What Girls Said 18

• Aside from illegal relationships, date whomever you want. Only the two people in that relationship know what works for them. Personally I have only dated people -5+ my age, but if someone came along outside of that range and they were everything I was looking for, I wouldn't just discredit them because they were younger or older than me or outside of my usual range.

• "Illegal relationships"

You make it sound so bad!

• First calm down. You seem to easily get upset if someone disagrees with you which is weird because you've asked a question of which people are free to have an opinion. Second, feel free to look up the laws of this nation. Whether you or I feel a certain way or not about it is irrelevant because as you are clearly aware it seems, if you get caught up in something where an 18 year old is accused of something, guess who is going to jail simply because of that one year age gap. If you have an issue with that, your anger and frustration is misplaced as you need to be angry at the source, not the messenger.

• LOL, you think I'm angry at you? After the 1000th person who repeated the same shit, I'm just having fun.

• That means I can date someone who is 19 years old.

Oh, @PiuBelloAmante and @AleDeEurope. ;)

• I suppose it works... and that goes for appearances... and we all care about appearances.. so mostly correct, since people between 5 and 7 years apart tend to still look the same age (most times)... BUT if you like the person, you like the person, whether they look or not much older than you, irrelevant to their actual age...

• I don't date more than a year younger than me, my boyfriend turned 27 in June and me 28 in August prior to I would not date someone more than 5 years older than me. ..

• I would be with whoever I feel comfortable being with. That person is usually either my age or a year or two older.

• No. If I believed in it, I would not be dating a 53 year old. I think once you reach a certain maturity level (and are of legal age), then it is just a number.

• Why does legal age matter? I'm 14.

• I agree with both of y'all. Granted i believe unless they have their own mode of transportation (i bike around for example) that anyone under 16 should not date. And i also agree that age doesn't show maturity. I am 13 (obviously) and dont relate to many people my age, yet i can relate to many similar things that many adults can. Granted i wouldn't want to date and adult, if you're mature enough then i say it would be okay.

• Chilax @asker you have still much to learn. I can see as well, that your defensive attitude is really unnessesary. You probably can't see it but children can't relate to adults. Including me of course. Nobody was born knowing such stuff nor we got out of primary school knowing adult stuff at the age of 12. And ill say it plain once your close to my age, I have no problem with that. Your opinion treating you equally to adults is wrong and you will find out in some years why.

• Personally (with me) that rule has gone out the window.

• There's no way in hell I'll ever date a 19 year old.

• no i break that rule a lot

• No I think you should date what ever age you want who ever makes you happy it's just a number.

• Are you saying that so your boyfriend won't be considered underage? haha jk xD

• @croxy shut up lol he's only three years younger it's not even that bad haha

• NO I don't date young people

• I think it's okay, mines came out as 15 which Is fine.

• I guess this wouldn't work out for an 18 year old though, and me agreeing to this is not saying that everyone has to use this rule.

• But only for legal reasons, and the law doesn't exist anyway 😏 It's all imagination. If no one knows, they can't put anyone in jail.

• No, I will date a guy I like, regardless of age.

• date who makes you the happiest

• This is literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I'm 20 and dating a 35 year old and we're just fine.

• My aunt was married to a guy 15 years older. They ended up getting divorced because he cheated

• @Asker So what is your point? That's ONE exception. My parents are 10 years apart and they've been married for 31 years.

• it makes sense for the younger ones, but once you get too old the other person becomes too young.

• Not really, because I can't say for sure I won't date a guy 20+ years older than me. I probably won't but there is not a 100% guarantee. As long as they are consenting adults then I don't really care (not in the mean way, just as long as they are happy, then it's all good).

• Why wouldn't you date a minor?

• Except the legal reasons. Assume there are no laws. Would you still avoid dating a minor?

• Probably not, no. There's only one guy that I get along with that is 18, and only a few that are 19. I just seem to have more in common with slightly older individuals, in terms of what I want out of life and goals.

• I'm 24 sure I'm open to dating a 21 year old