Has the word date become synonymous with the word sex or the phrase hooking up? Or do people assume two people who date are having sex?

I have heard men use the word date in place of sex to imply they had sex With the woman

"so I heard you two use to date what was she like in bed?"

Or even some girls
"when we dated he was awful in bed"

has the meaning of the word date changed?

Dating is is supposed to be two people getting to know each other who are not exclusive which means they can date multiple people

is the term interchangeable these days

I will hear people who are in relationships say they are dating

a person can be single and date because dating is not the same as a relationship

if if a guy wants me to be his girl he should make it known

Bump for better answers
I'm not talking about in that context. I mean someone who had a one night stand with someone and they see the guy and say "I dated him the sex was awkward" and they say it as if they dated when they did not

Most Helpful Guy

• Since I'm not a native speaker I have no idea what hooking up means actually. Urban dictionary couldn't help me either so I concluded that I don't care. Dating is not the same as having sex. I agree however with your point about people in a relationship referring to it as dating. That has always been strange for me. Maybe there's a lack of a better word to describe it? In my native language these concepts are pretty strictly separated.

• Hooking up means having casual sex

What Guys Said 3

• No. Dating is associated with sex after the couple go on dates.

• I'm not talking about in that context. I mean someone who had a one night stand with someone and they see the guy and say "I dated him the sex was awkward" and they say it as if they dated when they did not

• NoI usually hear people say "I slept with that person and the ex was awkward"

• It is not an unfair assumption that if people are dating that they are having sex. Sex is part of the majority adult relationships.

Dating isn't a serious relationship like a proper boy/girlfriend but it's still something.

• Sounds like casual sex

• no, not always

What Girls Said 0