When is it too soon to start a new relationship?

Okay, so. My friend broke up with her boyfriend about a few weeks ago. I have always had a little crush on him, but now he is single. Is it too soon to start hanging out with him and to start talking more with him. or how long should i wait. cause i dont want to hurt my friend or i dont want her to me upset with me

• go ahead!
  • give it about few more weeks
  • wait a month or two
  • thats not a good idea
  • other (comment below)

Most Helpful Guy

• Should always take some time off from dating and going into a new relationship
    Never take up with your friends boyfriend cause it might cause a bad friendship
    with you two unless your not close with her or she is distant friend than you may
    consider but that's not all that good but I won't judge you cause i don't go there.

Most Helpful Girl

• I kind of have a bit of a similar situation going on, BUT mine is still different enough. I might be developing feelings for my friends ex boyfriend, but they dated 2 years ago and it was only for like a month before they decided it wasn't going to work out. Also, I was best friends with the both of them, so it's not like I became friends with him through her. We all met at the same time. I think you shouldn't date him. You're 14. Do you really want to ruin a friendship over a boy that you are 99.9 % likely to break up with before your high school career ends? Is it really worth it?

My situation is based on the same premise, but besides that mine is completely different from yours. All of us don't even go to the same school and the guy is already out of school while she and I are seniors this year. So, it's not like I'd be walking around school with him and flaunting it in her face that you have him while she doesn't.

If any of my friends were to do that to me, they wouldn't be my friend anymore. I would lose complete trust in them. The fact that you are even thinking about doing that, to me, shows you aren't a real friend to her. If you were, you wouldn't even be asking us if it were ok to date him because 1) girl code and 2) you know it's already wrong because of the fact that you are asking.

What Guys Said 1

• there is no harm in talking but you should let your friend know first, so that you dont create a big mess. She is probably going to say yes but the fact that she is aware is important in case they want to get back together or something. As far as he is concerned i guess its his choice how soon he wants to.

What Girls Said 2

• generally speaking, you shouldn't date your friends' exes out of respect~ it's a terrible idea, and she will be upset with you. proceed with caution, but only if you are willing to risk the friendship.

that said, it also depends on how close you are to her and long she was with him. if they were only together for a couple of weeks, she might be less upset than if she was with him for more than a year.

• They say it takes the amount you were in a relationship to get over the relationship. So if your friend was in it for a few weeks, give her a few weeks to recover, then make your move.