Girls, is chivalry appreciated these days?

Do girls still like a bit of "chivalry" every now and then? Is opening the door, pulling out the seat, Giving your jacket when it's cold... Still appreciated or do guys just need to stop doing that stuff?

37

Most Helpful Girl

• yes of course chivalry is still appreciated. I kid you not, just yesterday my boyfriend held the library door open for me when I was still quite a ways away. He looks at me and says 'hey, I'm being chivalrous. GO!'

hahhah but for real, it should work both ways. I always hold the door open for someone, be it a guy or girl. I offer my jacket/sweater to my boyfriend if it's cold out and he happens to be in just a t-shirt and shorts. If girls expect to be treated with courtesy, we should return the favour!

What Girls Said 36

• My father is one of the most chivalrous men I know. After 37 years of marriage, he still holds the door open and pulls out a chair for my mother, and if I'm with them, always holds the door for me and won't walk through until we're both through or any other lady behind us. He has really taught me to appreciate, well, appreciating what that means. If there is such a thing as lady chivalry, though, I would put a check mark next to my name because I always hold the door for others regardless of their sex, when I see older persons who need help with like their groceries or if I have an umbrella and they don't, I offer to walk them to their car. I just think it should be called being a decent human being and being kind to your fellow man or woman.

• Not nearly as much as it should be. But yes, evry woman like to feel like her man has some respect for her, as well as other women, or humans in general...

• It is by many women.

• It's appreciated, but not necessary for me. I hold doors open for whoever is with or behind me. If my boyfriend/guy I was dating did that kind of stuff for me, I'd think it was sweet and shows he cares for me.

• Oh yes, please be chivalrous, it is a really good thing. You don't have to over do it but flowers at the door and your jacked on a chilly night is so sweet and so appreciated.

• Yes, definitely! I wouldn't get mad if a guy didn't do those things but it's certainly appreciated :)

• Oh hell yes, I'm chivalrous myself,. So many people are just inconsiderate of others, holding a door is just polite.

But I will admit, it's nice to be treated special, and that is what it's about really. Who doesn't like to be treated special?

• Every now and again that would be really sweet. When it's unpredictable, I really do appreciate it more.

• It's always appreciated and welcomed :)

• yes of course! its very appreciated

• I love it. I really appreciate it when a guy gives me the jacket when I'm cold, open the door for me and all... It makes me feel like yes, he respects women, cares about them. (I know it's strange but) it makes me feel beautiful, lol

• Missy girls like it. But I feel awkward when guys open my car door and stuff like that. Its a nice gesture, I just feel awkward.

But dear god yes give me your jacket if i'm cold. Male or female. Idc who. I get cold so easily.

• For sure! !

• It's GREATLY appreciated, you just see less of it due to some of the radical feminists.

• Why stop? I think it's very sweet, gentle, and polite.

• No need to stop and no need to start from my point of view. I appreciate the gesture if a guy holds the door for me (my boyfriend does always do this) but if I get to the door first and open it myself it doesn't seem like a loss. If my boyfriend gave me his jacket on a cold night, I'd feel guilty that he is now jacketless - far more appealing to have him wrap his arms around me to help me warm up.

• I think it's sexist as f**k. I don't mind when people do it for me, but I would just rather not have it.

Also screw the girls who think chivalry is mandatory.

• It's not sexist, it's polite; and politeness IS mandatory.

• Totally a guy. 😂

• @Bards just because chivalry benefits me doesn't mean I have to be hypocritical about it.

• I gain a lot of respect for a guy who knows how to treat a lady.

Some girls may not be grateful for that at all, but I think you should do what you think is best no matter what she acts like.

• Yep haven't seen many chivalrous guys my age, as they swear and just be intentional idiots, but I would very much like that to be a quality in a man.

• I certainly do. It's hard to find these days! Hold a door open for me and that will increase my interest in you by at least 70% :) if only guys were aware of that!

• Very much appreciated. Maybe we don't necessarily need it, but we still like it. It shows that you're nice and gentle and women like that. :)

• Chivalry is loved by girls. I am a very independent head strong girl. But each time a guy opens the door for me or gives me his jacket i turn to mush on the inside. Trust me... there are enough assholes alive.. When a guy exhibits chivalry... It's refreshing and attractive :)

• Ofc it is.

• Yes it is definitely appreciated!!

• It depends on the girl but I certainly do.

• very noticed and appreciated

• I would definitely appreciate if a guy did those things for me. The only problem is all of the guys I've dated have never had the courtesy to do any of those things.

• Yes I think it is appreciated just don't overdo it because it will get uncomfortable...
    And chivalry is not something that should be one sided, girls should pitch in too.

• It think it is really awesome when a guy shows some chivalry.

• Yes. I find it very sweet and charming

• More from Girls
    6