How many of you expect the man to pay for the date?

Whenever this subject comes up on this website women will say they prefer to split. How many of you women prefer the man pay and why?

• I prefer the man to pay
  • I don't because this isn't the 1950's
  • I am a man and I prefer to pay
  • I am a man and this isn't the 1950's

Most Helpful Girl

• I always pay for the date or at least myself.

No reason not to. This whole talk about "the man must always pay" is blatantly sexist.

Most Helpful Guy

• Sooo what happened to "gender roles are stupid"? Oh wait, I forgot it applies to when it's not beneficial.

Hypocrisy at its finest :D

What Girls Said 18

• He's asking me out. He pays. It makes no sense to me to ask someone out on a date and then ask them to split the bill. I do that with friends---dates aren't like that.

I just think a lot of guys who think like this are cheap/stupid/selfish/something else. YOU asked her out so why wouldn't you pay? Unless if she offers to split or pay the whole bill, it blows my mind for any guy to say that he should split the bill?

Whoever invited pays. End of story.

• Agreed. Only problem is that guys still end up paying 90% of the time because they are expected to ask the girl out.

• No it isn't. Im sorry that you lack basic comprehension.

• No, you lack basic understanding of hypocrisy

• do i appreciate it when he pays (or offers to pay)? yes.
    is it a requirement? no.

on my first date with my now-boyfriend, i came fully prepared to pay for myself. yes, i let him buy me a drink when he offered, but i paid for my own supper.

this is 201; i have a career, and i am fully capable of buying my own stuff. sorry, not sorry.

• I don't expect anything and honestly I don't mind paying for myself or for the both of us. But I'll be honest as a gentleman the guy should pay for the first or first few dates. I say like 2 or 3.

I'll offer to pay for myself but I feel the guy should say no need.

• You see, it is this that makes me sick because women like this have sexist expectations but thanks for your honest opinion.

• @DivaMonae

The way it came to be is because women didn't have jobs back then but they do now so that point is not valid. Women have made great strides in their careers. You say you would pay but in reality you haven't paid. Many women can say I offered but many women would also be taken back by men letting them pay for the first date. Do you have problems asking men out first? Have you ever asked men out first?

• You're wrong. You know how I said 95% of the time? Well I actually did ask a guy out and pay for the date.

It's not important to me. I invited him so I paid for him at the movies it's as simple as that. But if it were the other way around he would be the one paying.

All I said was on the first date. I didn't say for life. And that's in the case that the guy asks me out and they normally do.

• I don't mind paying but when the man pays, it's a major act of courtesy. I appreciate the kindness and it shows that he's not stingy and cheap with his money.

• Okay, this is going to sound awful. I was raised by a tradional family but open minded. Anyway..

I would like him to say he's paying but I won't let him pay for everything, I like to split the total amount because for me doesn't make sense that "if you ate more, you should pay more".

I barely eat but I don't care.

• I will always insist on paying, or splitting the bill. Guess its partly the culture from where I grew up. I don't care who ask who out, I'd still pay or split it. If he don't accept then its another story.

• I think whoever invited the other on the date should pay.

• The only problem is women don't tend to invite men.

• Thats YOUR fault for feeling that. To me you're a pussy for expecting someone to pay half.

• @Asker I invite my boyfriend out (on dates) all the time, and I always pay when I do.

• I think it's fair either way.
    This being said: him paying for a coffee is a cute gesture and I appreciate it.
    I never take these things for granted.

• I prefer to go dutch. I feel uncomfortable when a man spends money on me. The problem is I always insist on going dutch but men always refuse to.

• I'll pay..

End of story.

• He is paying.

I am broke.

I usually prefer to pay for myself but I like it if the guy pays on a date.

I find it quiet romantic.

• I'd say whose were idea it was to go on the date should pay. If it was my idea, I'd pay, if it was his idea then he could pay. Obviously this is only effective if you take turns, it's unfair if it's only one person paying all the time. Otherwise splitting is another good option

• i think it's stupid. i earn a living, so i pay too. it's not fair if only one person does. i wouldn't like it if it were the other way around.

• I always INSIST on paying for myself

This causes MANY problems.

• We take turns usually because I have a job.

• if it's my birthday we can split it , if not him

• I would rather split the bill.

• I'd always prefer not to pay myself, because I am a cheap fuck. But I'd never expect him to pay, or not pay for myself.

What Guys Said 6

• I don't give a fuck of what everyone else says. I'm a man and I still pay for my dates, I still open the door to a female person and I still act like a god daymn gentleman; it's the little things that differentiate between a real man and someone who's half a man.

• You don't need to be blatantly sexist to "be a man". Chivalry is sexism, end of story.

Seems like you're just insecure about your own masculinity, and you're compensating for that by putting down everyone who disagrees with you.

• @Kirah I'm a sexist and I'm insecure about my own masculinity? At least I didn't create a female account when you're actually a guy.

• You are so right. I believe you're a classy many. BRAVO !

• I think whoever asks should pay. It's a way of showing gratitude for the other person taking time out of their day to spend with them. Guys usually ask out so they usually should pay. If I ask them out I'd rather not split because then it just tells me "lets just be friends" it isn't as romantic. If I asked out I just want to show my gratitude for them sacrificing time for me since I'm the one that asked. I would get a bad vibe if a girl completely asked me out and then wanted me to pay for everything. I'd pay but I'd probably not go on a second date.

• Men need to stop spoiling women and women need to learn to take more initiative. Simple.

• How is it spoiling if the person who asks someone on a date pays?

And its not initiative for a woman to offer to pay. Its stupid. YOU asked someone out... why are you asking them to split?

• Most women offer but this offer tends to be disingenuous. That is also a double standards because most women wouldn't ask, so they most women re basically saying "guy should always pay for the date because they would never ask." @RationalLioness

• Lie on the first sentence. There are many women who ask or even offer. I think its demented to ask someone to pay half when you ask someone out.

• Whoever does the asking is the one who pays, unless it is mutually agreed that the costs will be split.

• Whenever I ask I pay, they take their small money purse and tell them "no please I invited you." It's a nice gesture if tey want to pay but they let me. I'm not those guys who expect "something in return"

• Each should pay for themself.
    I didn't eat your food why should I pay for it?