What's the difference between a relationship and a friendship other than sex?

Im constantly told that I'm ignorant for thinking that, but no one can ever explain to me what is the REAL difference.

Seriously, the dates I've been on are hardly different from the get-togethers I have with my gay friend.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeh because they are dates and you dont have feelings for the guy, the difference is love. You dont LOVE your gay friend romantically. Say there are 3 men in your life, your gay best friend, your fuck buddy who gives you amazing sex, and a man you love very much and want to cuddle, share things with and spend the rest of your life with.

Well a relationship (a good one) is those three men rolled into one.

Most Helpful Girl

• The feelings you feel when you're with a significant other are usually different than what you feel with even a close friend. I don't just mean sexual tension or anything like that.

Kissing, cuddling, and other intimate relationship-type of stuff almost make you feel "like one" with the other person. You feel like the world is right when you're with him. An increased oxytocin level is produced in your brain, making you feel content and happy.

What Guys Said 7

• I agree with you. I asked the exact same question like a month ago and nobody could give a concrete answer. All the answers were really vague.

I think the main difference is the physical intimacy (sexual attraction, kissing, hugging, sex, cuddling)

Without those physical intimacy its just a close friendship (someone you trust, respect, and enjoy spending time with)

• In a friendship, the feelings between one another are usually platonic.

In a relationship, the feelings between one another are usually romantic.

• The intimacy (not just sexual feelings ) is 90% of the difference

• I would say the intimacy and devotion

• Being a little bit more important than other people in their eyes i guess. And cuddling. Don't forget the cuddling

• All good Relationships has a friendship within it, but not all friendships have a Relationship in it.

• In a relationship, you are also likely to lose a lot of money, in case you're a man.

What Girls Said 2

• Not much. It depends on how close n considerate u both are to each other.

It either costs more money or they help you to get richer.

• I'm in a relationship with my best friend. I guess the part that we live together are saving up to have a kid together and have pets together. Also parents in laws... That is a major difference. Hmmm, I don't buy things for my friends. 😛