Is it okay for a female to rely on her boyfriend?

I've become dependent on my boyfriend and my friend doesn't like it, so I want to know if it is so bad?

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. Anything beyond a limit is not good even if it's nectar of immortality :)
    2. Never lose your independence on any count
    3. Initially he may like the idea but later will find it being too clingy
    4. Always hold your own but while allowing chivalry :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on what you mean by dependent and to what extent. Like would you kill yourself if he left you? Then yes, obviously that would be bad.

What Guys Said 5

• Hmm I think even in relationships we should be independent. If we don't stay our own person we would be even more devastated if we eventually break up. I think people need to be able to handle everything on their own but just lean on their partner for support here and there.

• Considering you are 16 and you're supposed to be self-sustaining to a certain extent (aka survive even without your boyfriend), no, not a good thing. Rely on your partner if they are better at the thing that needs to be done than you are, but even then, preferably not all the time.

• Its always okay to rely on someone to an extent. It becomes toxic when you either always rely on that person for everything or you expect to rely on him a healthy amount yet you won't afford him the same courtesy. I know from personal experience that I started to resent my partner somewhat because she expected me to be there for her, help her, treat her etc but she was never willing to do the same. It started to feel like a one way relationship.

• ^ this. Basically don't use him as an emotional tampon and don't think you're the only one who's allowed to talk in the relationship. There should be a healthy balance between listening and talking.

• Well that's something i WANT in a GF--for her to be dependent on me. So i don't think its a bad thing.

• If he's buying you stuff and making your decisions then yes it's a problem.

What Girls Said 4

• Well now this depends. At 16, what are you "relying " on? Every girl (and guy) has the right to expect their partner to be there emotionally, it is natural to rely on a partner for that. Financially? Do you rely on him to buy your lunch every day? Then yes, it becomes something to become concerned about. Rides to dates? Normal level of reliance there.

The bad thing is when a woman gives up her identity and needs the man to do everything from providing a place to live to putting food on the table. Bad BAD idea.

Relationships are all about balance. Each partner gives equally to it in the best way they can. Relationship = Partnership.

• You need to be independent and your own person because if you're completely dependent on someone else, what happens if they leave you? You need to be able to take care of yourself and find happiness and strength that depends on no one else.

• Yes. You should find a degree of independence. When this relationship ends, and it will end, you'll need something else in your life to fill that void.

• It's not ok to be 100% reliable on your boyfriend