Is college really going to be significantly better than high school?

People tell us unfortunate high schoolers who have been ostracized and saw no success in social areas at all even, that college is going to be much better because there will be a lot more people and a lot of the cringe-worthy dynamics of high school will be much less prevalent, such as the drama, shallowness, etc.

On the other hand, many older adults, when they talk about college, the look at it with the same disdain as many do with high school. They menton similar things about college - how people are overall smple-minded, people will still only go for the top dating-wise, and the drama is still prevalent with people still caring too much about what their friend think about their dating life, etc.

So which one is it? Is it really better, or is it just an extension of high school just with new and more people?

Sorry for the grammar problems. My phone's keyboard is acting up.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm at Uni right now and it's 1000% times better than school, but then I had a crappy time with bullying etc. in school..

People at college are adults, they have more developed empathy etc. so they're more respectful and just nice to one another. All the cliquey stuff that happens in school pretty much becomes irrelevant because there's so many people, different friendship groups don't really have to see each other other than in classes.

When you start at college, everyone is looking for new friends. It's not like when you start high school and everyone's kind of from the area already and have established groups; in college there are loads of people and of you say hi and want to chat to them, they'll most likely be grateful for your company.

It's scary being suddenly more independent and having to find new friends among all these new people. And I'm not saying it'll all just magically be okay because you're at college, but if you put yourself out there and go to societies and events and talk to people, you'll be accepted. Socially it's going to be way less stressful because no-one is going to pick on you. And if they do, if it's someone you're sharing a flat with or something, you can cut them out of your life pretty easily by moving rooms etc.

I'm sorry that you're having a crappy time in high school. You're definitely not alone there; the people who say high school's the best time in your life are an enormous minority. Hang in there, work hard but also take care of yourself, and you'll be able to leave and being ostracised in school will be so irrelevant to your life in the future. People are going to love you out here in the proper world (as opposed to the weird bubble of suspended social norms that is high school) <3

Most Helpful Guy

• It's the truth. In college, there is no such thing as "popular" outside of the freshman dorms when some people carry over that high school mentality.

The thing is, in college there are people of every walk of life from many different areas and states, not just your own city. So as long as you are open minded, you will find people that will be on your wavelength.

What Girls Said 5

• Yes, probably. For me it definitely was way better. More freedom, better variety of people, way more interesting subjects and professors, lots of cool opportunities and fun things to do, etc. Also, it's interesting that older adults have said that to you, because literally every older adult I've talked to has said college days were some of the best of days of their life lol.

• college is SO much better than high school.

however in terms of dating an socialising it is overrated. so yeah sometimes it does feel like high school, but with more freedom. that's my experience anyway. I'm going into my 4th year of uni and haven't found anyone i connect with on a deeper level. all just acquaintances and fun to be around in groups.

• Wow seriously? I went to a party-happy university yet I still bonded with a select few people! :-D

• Not for me, its horrible you're by your own in a jungle where you have to be independent and productive

• I am on my first uni year and I love it! there is more freedom hehe and you can meet a lot of people. I also enjoyed high school a lot though haha

You just need to enjoy every stage of your life, they are all different and have their own beauty :)

• i just started and it is way better than high school. You get to pick your classes and schedule. a lot of variety of people plus nobody is considered popular everybody is on the same level because we are all broke

What Guys Said 2

• Yes. Way more freedom to pick your classes and the food

• Correction. I meant to say that people in college are more open minded and you have a better chance at making friends.

• YESSSS there are wayyyy more girls there to reject you than in high school.