I think I might be in love with my best friend, what do I do?

Ok, so I've known my best friend for about seventeen years. All through school I crushed on him, and I suspected that he had a crush on me too. However, neither of us ever acted on it. Well after we graduated he joined the military and was stationed away from home. I only get to see him once a year, but we've maintained our friendship long distance over the past four years since graduation. I talk to him nearly every weekend, and then see him when he comes home on leave. I thought my feelings would die down, and I would meet someone else. However, everything always comes back to him. I find myself talking about him all the time, and the thought of him with another girl just kills me. I've even sabotaged other potential relationships because I couldn't stand being with someone else. I'm afraid that if I tell him how I feel that he'll flat out reject me, or it will make things awkward. I have no idea how he feels about me, so I'm terrified of messing things up! I don't want to lose him, but at the same time if he could be my forever I don't want to miss out on that either by friend zoning myself. So, what should I do? Do I tell him, or do I play it safe and hope that I eventually move on?

What Guys Said 1

• You have to tell him how you feel. The not knowing is killing you. If it doesn't go your way at least you'll know so you can get on with your life

What Girls Said 1

• tell him how you feel.