Why do people get depressed?

From the age of 18-20 i got depressed, really depressed. Why do people get depressed? I have no idea where it came from but i was sitting at home, no social life, no school, here and there minor jobs, sleep all day, not paying my medical bills, but no exciting life. I was supposed to spread my wings and fly and get out of the house and live, instead i complained and got depressed... all of a sudden where does it come from? At the age of 17 i was ok, but all of a sudden i stopped everything

Most Helpful Guy

• Depression hits all of us at one time or another. In some people it passes, or they do something about it that improves their life and thus removes that depression. In others its chronic depression, and they just have to live with it.

I suffer from severe chronic depression, have since I was in high school. It has been a struggle, and it has affected my life in so many not-so-wonderful ways. However, I've learned to manage it with prescriptions and a healthier lifestyle. My life is better, but sometimes the depression just sets in regardless of what my life is like. I'm very much like you in fact, I'm not very social and I detest my college work. Sometimes I just want to sleep all day, but that's all part of the depression. It drains you, physically and emotionally then gets to work gnawing at you until you feel worse and worse.

I'd recommend seeing a professional about it, they will get you the help you need and hopefully you will start to feel better.

Most Helpful Girl

• I suffered from depression after being diagnosed with a chronic illness. Knowing all the medicines I'd have to take, the possible surgeries, the pain, the changes to my life I'd have to make, all of it began to wear me down and I couldn't see a way through. Depression is different and comes from different places for different people, but I think generally its an inability to cope with life. Other people can just pick themselves up and go, but you remain stuck and hurting in this endless loop. For some people its like a light switch, something clicks and they crawl out of the hole, but others its much deeper and harder to see the light and to learn to cope. Counseling, talking to family, being around friends, exercise, choosing to force yourself to be an active member in the world around you--they can all help you on your road to recovery.

• hmm interesting, im trying to see where it came from... i was diagnosed with scoliosis from an early age, at the age of 11 i had to wear a back brace for the upcoming 5 and half years , 24/7, i couldnt be a teenager, i ddint develop a strong sense of self, i was depressed. That feeling never left me i guess

• If you want a more technical answer, then I think Tripleace in the comments basically spelled it out.

What Guys Said 4

• Depression comes from a chemical imbalance, mainly seritonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine... some others as well

Sometimes enviromental issues can trigger these imbalances, which are coming from your genetic predisposition

• honestly i have no idea, but i wish i wasn't depressed and i could get rid of it.

• Chemical imbalance in the brain

• Yes I became depressed when I was 17 in 2010. I felt great, awesome and nothing was wrong in my life; then suddenly I got depressed. In the aftermath of an event where my mother mentally abused me for a prolonged period out of nowhere for no reason, I became passive and less confident and this lead to a cascade collapse of my life and my abilities in living. I lost a girlfriend, slacked on my studies and social life.

Following this, I seeked health care for my mental condition but was repeatedly refused. During this extended period of 2 years my condition was quite stable but I had difficulties getting better by myself. In 2013 I was admitted to a mental hospital and the doctor threatened to inject me with unknown drugs for no reason if I did not eat it voluntarily, acting evil and nobody would tell me why they treated me in the way they did. Following this period of 2 weeks I felt horrible and thought about suicide every day and cried every day for another year.

I was brought back to the same facility later the following year and met the same doctor that had threatened me. He confessed to having attempted to torture me with a psychological method that aimed to destroy me mentally by instigating danger. This time he explicitly explained and prepared me to undergo the same treatment for 4 months. But fortunately I avoided him.

In August 2015 I witnessed a middle-aged woman getting tortured in the same way that I was threatened. She asked the medical personnel how they could treat her in the way that they did, she had been raped and did not feel well and requested mental health care. She was very distressed and tried to get out but the medical personnel ignored her state of distress and need for care. They later overpowered her and strapped her into a bed while she yelled NOOO for 30 seconds when the medical personnel injected her with drugs. She thought they were killing her. This was obviously the same psychological torture method that I had been threatened with combined with another torture method called Mock Execution. I left and reported what I had seen to the police, but I don't have high hopes that she's well or even alive, as torture is not a crime here in Sweden.

Even to this day I have been denied health care and I get no feedback when attesting visible contact of torture to the authorities, nor people around me. If anyone has a clue to why nobody cares when I claim to have seen people getting tortured please share with me.

What Girls Said 0