Would you date someone even if you know that you are going to break up?

I met the most incredible guy while studying abroad. I just have 3 months more here and I really want to keep dating him but I am very very afraid because I know that it has an expiration date.. There is no way I want a distance relationship. I already had it once and it hurts so much.

Is crazy to fall in love of someone that I know I will have to break up in 3 months?

Most Helpful Guy

• I just did this. I was living in the UK for the last year and I met an incredible girl about 10 months ago. It worked out because she was moving to a new town the same time I was going home, so we made it official and exclusive and we got connected and dated.

I can tell you I have absolutely no regrets. Yes, it hurt a lot to break up, especially because I have never had a peaceful break up where we both knew it would happen and set a time to say good bye... I cried for the first time in years saying good bye to her and she did too. But I still have no regrets.

The good thing is, and not to sound shallow, but the fact that she was totally removed from my life at home, it made getting over it way faster. It is hard to explain, but when you come home, your life abroad sort of feels like a dream, and your relationship too to some extent. Not to say I will ever forget, or that I would want to- but it is just so much easier to move on when you are not looking around everywhere at reminders.

Also, 3 months is long enough to get attached, but not super long. to be honest, we dated for almost 2 months before we made it exclusive/official- and even then I was not super attached for a few more months- but I move slow in dating and feelings...

I say go for it!

• This is perfect! thank you very much.

• Thanks, hope it works out for you!

What Guys Said 10

• No, it's not crazy. It's not crazy to date him either. Almost all relationships are temporary. Your choice is to get to know him better and enjoy his intimate company, or not. Either way you are going to part in three months. Not all pleasures can last forever, or even be repeated.

• It's not an enticing proposition, given you know how it ends, but I think with that in mind I could at least enjoy the ride while it lasts. Most relationships end inevitably, but people don't expect it because they delude themselves into thinking they're not like everyone else, and the end result is a bitter breakup.

• Exactly! At least I know what to expect.

• that right my friend I really like your lines

• You can either end it or keep going at it depending on how communication will be and know if it's really going ot be serious or not. But just remember if you do decide to keep it going, 'I rather live far away from you but feel so close, rather than living so close to you but feeling so far away."

• Hell fucking NO.

• Have amazing sex. Just lol @ love abroad stories. No it will not last.

• Personally, I'd have sex with them, get all the fun stuff out of it, and move on.
    "Fun while it lasted" and all that.
    "Fish in the sea" and stuff.

• I have done that before

• I would tell them that I can't be with them forever, but I still want them for now.

• no... no...

• Honestly no... I loved my last ex so much.. but if I knew we'd break up 3 weeks ago... i would have never dated her in the first place... my heart hurts so much... and it's sad because it seems like she is completely over me so fast.

• I am really sorry about your break up and I know is silly to say it but if it hurts so much is good because it means you really had something special.

• That's true... but it just seems like she's COMPLETELY over it... and that hurts so much

What Girls Said 15

• If you have Tried this once, been down this rough road already here, dear, Best from the rest is Not to wear your heart on your sleeve because you know Soon... You leave.
    You need to decide what is 'Best' for you. He may too have feelings for you and with this being said, perhaps it is time to sit him down and get on the same page.
    Good luck. xx

• Actually I think if You are both mature abiit it then it can work great bc yiu know what going on and you know want to expect and there no time for games or anyone wnarning anyone about getting attached.

If you like him to for it. Live love enjoy :)

I'd do it!

• Free movies, free food I'll date anyone as long as I don't have to kiss him good night lol

• I'm currently in that sorta type of relationship. He will probably leave in 3 or 4 months. But to be honest he's the best guy I've had, he's taught me to love and to believe in myself and I do not regret being with him, yes there will come a time when he has to go but it is life, we were brought into this world alone and we will leave at the end of our time alone so I got used to the idea that we were gonna end one way or another. So I'm my opinion you should go for it, but don't get lost and lose yourself in the relationship, don't forget that you're gonna have to separate at some point and then you're gonna be fine. ( but I'm not saying hold back on loving him) the only downside is when he does something stupid, like giving you attitude or whatever you're gonna wonder why the bell you're wasting your time being in something will a time bomb.
    I wish you all the best x

• Better to have loved and lost.

• You don't have to break up because he lives far away!

Maybe the other relation ship didn't work put because he wasn't the guy for you and this one is?

Not ALL lds are impossible. :)

• I had a relationship and it ended because of long distance. Actually he ended it because he was scared just like you. I loved him no matter what and we met eventually but it was too late. It made you realize whether his/her feelings were real. He was really sorry about leaving me. However it was worth to try. I never gave up loving him when I studied abroad. You should try anyway but if he also wants to. Otherwise you will end up just like me.

• Personally, no. Because I don't know why I would purposefully cause myself heartache.

• the experience would be amazing, but it will hurt like hell when it end. is it a for sure that you would break up or is there a chance that is you both fall in love he could move to where you are?

• The heart wants what it wants ;)

• Nope. It would be a waste of time and energy. And feelings.

• No I just wouldn't. Its no secret the gay commmunity has the highest case of HIV. Also, it would just be the personality thing. Im not sexually attracted to a lot fo gay men. I would befriend them, i dotn mind that. I find them great friends, not a life partner. My gay friend now is going through this phase where he doesn't think he's sexually attracted to women, but doesn't take men seriously but just for the sexual gratification. I love him, but Im not attracted to him sexually with him being primarily active with men.

• I would date him but dating and relationships are two different things. If we are going out on dates it's not exclusive and it's not official.

• It's not crazy. You can't help your feelings. Are you sure long distance is out of the question for you?

• Im not sure.. I've been dating my boyfriend for a year. Its long distance in college but with us both getting jobs/internships its eventually going to lead to a breakup. I guess its okay... As long as you know where you're heading.