Would you date someone who doesn't drink?

I've never had an alcoholic drink in my life and don't intend to. I don't bring this up, I don't make judgements about others who drink, its just my personal preference and the only way others know is if I'm asked directly. Do you think its off putting to date someone who doesn't drink? Is that a total turn off or you think its whatevers.

• I wouldn't date someone who didn't drink. Drinking is kind of important.
  • I wouldn't care if someone doesn't drink. It's not that importnant.

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't care if they drank or not unless they drank too much, or were rude about people that did drink. I drink on occasion. It's not necessary tho. Like I can go out and not drink and still have fun.

What Guys Said 37

• Personally, I would kind of prefer that since I don't drink myself and never have found the appeal in it. I don't care if people drink, but I just don't want to do it myself. Heck, I'll hang out with people and be the designated driver instead haha.

The problem is that a lot of the people looking for relationships around my age at my university seem to be big drinkers/smokers and want someone who does the same :/ But ehh, it is what it is.

• I personally don't care. but a lot of women seem to. When I was dating online and met women for "drinks", I rarely drink. I just get pop. usually diet coke. I actually had a couple say they don't want to date someone that doesn't drink. They never said anything or asked me about it. I even put right in my profile that I drink occasionally. but I am on heavy mediation for back pain. It doesn't mix well with alcohol. So if I have to drive, I don't want to be drinking. I figure if alcohol means that much to them then best I am not with them.

• I wouldn't get too hung up on those women who outright rejected you for it. Apparently they can't read and on top of that are suggesting you get endanger yourself by drinking because of your medications. They don't exactly sound like people you need in your life. I think a lot of drinkers just always want to feel as if everyone is on the same vibe as they are and they can't handle someone having a good time without alcohol for some reason. I often think, why should it matter to you whether I drink or not because its not like they can experience my mood or my joy or my thoughts for me.

• as long as they weren't judgmental of me or people around me for drinking I would be fine with it... it means you always have a DD

• Considering that I don't drink as well, I wouldn't mind dating a non-drinker. I don't really have a preference regarding her drinking habits, as long as she isn't addicted to alcohol.

• I had a really cute friend who was sort of in to me and I could have made it work- but she doesn't drink and I never pursued her.. I think that is great, and good for you. While I am no big drinker, I do enjoy nice liqueurs, wine and the occasional wine. I like when me and my SO can go buy a bottle of wine, or a nice bottle of whiskey and look forward to that with/ after dinner.

I think you'll be fine though!

• this made me laugh because it sounded like, dear god, I'd never date you, but you're okay... for other people... I guess... but like not me... never me. LOL.

• hahahahaha no not at all. I mean to some extent, I guess I would never date you- but it is a tough one as it is a deal breaker, but it is not like drinking is a huge part of my life- I am not some clubber or hanging out at bars all the time. I just love the nights of sharing wine or a drink with my SOs...

I really don't drink much at all though.

• Oh I get it. You don't need to justify or explain anything. We all like what we like, so by all means, drink on!

• I barely ever drink if ever, so I know I wouldn't really care. Alcohol is essentially just neurotoxic poison.

• I don't care, but you better know how to drive though ! Cause you are going to drive my ass back home lol

• Awesome! You can be the designated driver!

More seriously, though. It's not a dealbreaker, but it can be a little awkward having to constantly explain yourself as someone who doesn't drink (I didn't until I was 21).

• Hey, and I'm happy to be that designated driver. I have no problems with that and is probably why I have so many friends, lol! As far as explaining the non drinking, I got away with it a lot in college by simply having some kind of non alcoholic beverage in my solo cup at parties. People just assume you're drinking. It wasn't until after that when it was more one on one dating that the subject comes up more often, but I can usually squirrel it away to being on a diet which doesn't permit alcohol which is in actuality true along with the fact that I just don't drink in general.

• It sounds great to me, actually. I can't really drink due to a medical condition, so I'd be JELLY all the time if she was a beer drinker. LOL

• Yeah sure I don't care if someone drinks or not as long as they don't judge me or treat me like shit when drinking.

• I think a lot of people assume that about non-drinkers, that we're just snatching your bottles away and giving you lectures about living with a clear mind. I could care less what others do or don't drink as long as they aren't driving me whilst drunk. I just don't often think the same vibe goes the other way which is often why I typically make some lame excuse as to why I'm not drinking rather then have 'that' conversation over again.

• Yeah most people I know realize I don't drink so it isn't an issue. I'd date someone who drinks and I wouldn't judge them either.

• I welcome a non drinker

• As long as I'm not given trouble about my drinking or being asked to stop, then I'm fine with it. It's a non issue.

• Alcohol isn't the best tasting thing in the world so no I wouldn't care if my girlfriend didn't drink.

• It doesn't bother me at all that you wouldn't drink. Your probably smart for avoiding it. Its expensive and can get addicting. I would know lol. But, would you have a problem dating a drinker?

• Yeah, i would date a non-drinker I'm a non-drinker myself
    i mean even social drinker is cool too

• Done it been there
    I prefer the edgyness that comes with a girl willing to indulge when the time is right... at the very least id want her to understand what being impaired means

• It's all good :)

• I don't drink either except on special occasions like birthdays or holidays. But it kinda makes me more intrigued to date u because I always wanted to date the designated driver because I am the desginated driver too lol.

• Yes please! I dont drink eighter so she would be a great match :)

• That would honestly be ideal for me.

• Date me. 😍

I am exactly in the same boat.

• I would totally date someone who wouldn't drink. I don't really intend to be a heavy drinker when I become of age, and I wouldn't really like to have to take care of a drunk person all the time.

• I would, I don't drink either.

• Yes, I would.

• Sure. It would be great always having a driver.

• sure , i will try to convince (little effort) her to try for a bit , if she resist , i promise will not try again ; p

• yes, kind of. I enjoy drinking with my girl. I love getting tipsy with her and joke around.

• I would, definitely. I would even date someone who doesn't eat meat.

• woah, woah, woah, now you're just talking crazy. LOL!

• It's not a turn off, there are more important things to worry about when it comes to dating.

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 16

• I sure would, I may even slightly prefer to date someone who doesn't drink since then there'd be less pressure for me to drink as well and I'm not too big of a fan of alcohol.

• I drink in moderation. And by that I mean almost never. If given the choice between alcohol and water I'll go for the water.

It's not an issue

• I'd be fine with it, as long as I was able to drink when I wanted.
    To be honest, I'd like dating a non-drinker, I'd never have to be the designated driver!

• It would be perfect if he doesn't drink

• I would prefer it as I've never drank alcohol and I don't plan on it when I'm of age but I do realize some people enjoy it. I guess as long as he isn't drunk it's fine. I can do moderately tipsy but drunk is a no no for me! He would also have to be of legal age to drink because I don't support underage drinking.

• Currently am dating someone who doesn't drink, and im glad he doesn't drink haha :)

• I don't drink so I would be totally fine with it. It's better than having to take care of your drink SO.

• No I wouldn't date anyone that doesn't drink. I enjoy my bevvies and would like to be able to enjoy them with my man.

• sure so long as he's okay with me drinking

• Nope i would not drink a guy who doesn't drink. Alcohol is good, especially drunk sex😍😍

• uh... drunk sex, especially for a woman, not exactly safe and can have terrible outcomes. I wouldn't be promoting that one as any kind of life motto, but its your life, so there's that.

• Meh thats why you always have to go out with you SO or close friends. Your close friends will always take care of you when you're about to do anything stupid with strangers.

You're missing out on a lot lol. Anyway most people i know who doesn't drink are boring af.

• yeah, sure, but your friends aren't in the bed with you to "protect" you.. but again, your life, so whatever. As far as the second part, drinking people tend to believe non drinking people just sit at home watching netflix, and some do, just as some drinking people do too, but I go to bars and clubs with friends. The only difference is, I don't drink and they do. Drinking doesn't not automatically equal a fun person who is popular, happier, or more sociable. Drinking, just means, you drink. There's nothing wrong with either side of the coin unless you become an alcoholic or engage in risky behavior that's a detriment to yourself or others.

• I prefer that they don't.

• I would actually prefer that. I don't plan on ever drinking either.

• Seriously not important whatsoever.

• I wouldn't mind if a guy didn't drink because I don't drink alcohol

• Why wouldn't they it's a good quality

• That's fine. I don't drink either