My boyfriend is so clingy it hurts? Is this normal?

I really do love my boyfriend. We've been together for a couple of years now in a very loving and enjoyable relationship. The only problem is how clingy he is. Whenever I want to go out with my friends he always has to come or invite himself. Or if I happen to be around my friends, his friends, and boyfriend at the same time, he always has to be right by my side like my shadow. He says it's because he loves spending time with me but I question more about his trust. I've never done anything for him to doubt my faithfulness. I've told him that I enjoy spending as much time with him as I do my friends and how my friends don't come when I spend time with him. We aren't married and I would like to enjoy a night with the girls but he doesn't understand where I'm coming from. I only go out with my friends once throughout the week or even two weeks and he's always there. It's gotten to the point where we fight about it. He has guy friends! I respect his time with them so why can't he respect my time? He's great in every other aspect and I'm at a loss. How can I make myself any clearer?

Most Helpful Guy

• This sounds like my ex broke up with me... like she was really in love with me at first.. then overtime.. when she'd go out.. I became so clingy.. like trying to get her to stay in and talk to me and arguing and everything (we were long distance. only an hour away tho) eventually.. it boiled over and we broke up... we weren't together as long as you guys are.. but we were together for like 6 months and basically August/September i was so bad with this... I never realized how being clingy/needy can make someone fall out of love with you.. but it's like you feel like your freedom is gone... so i understand what you're saying... you basically have to say.. that space is healthy

Most Helpful Girl

• Just tell him that you would appreciate it, if you spend a little time apart from time to time. Explain to him that you love him but you cherish your freedom as well and you would like to meet up with your friends on your own from time to time.

What Guys Said 1

• sounds like he has a lack of self belief issue with a touch of mis trust thrown in... excellent way to get dumped i would suggest if he doesn't change

What Girls Said 0