Is it creepy to Facebook stalk?

Before you immediately say that it is, read this. If you were interested in a girl/guy but wanted to know more about him why would it be creepy to look at his/her profile? Isn't it's purpose to be viewed? I look at it from the perspective of researching what they like/dislike, if they are single or not, and some other useful information. I don't mean that you slowly scroll through every picture, but just look at some of their stuff. But I still know plenty of people that think it's creepy, but is it really?

• Yes!
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• No... this is pretty much what everyone does.
    It's only creepy if you visit her profile every day, memorize what all her pictures look like, remember all the comments and the people who have commented, the amount of likes she's gotten, exactly what she has posted about etc... if you view her page more than you view facebook's front page (your news feed), THEN you're a creep.

Most Helpful Guy

• I look at girls' Facebook's who I don't even know. You can tell what kind of person they are by what they post, share and upload.

And ofc, I click the hot ones.

What Girls Said 13

• no, thats totally normal. it is pretty much there to be viewed.. lmao.
    to look at their stuff and get an idea of their interests is totally fine! stalking every photo and going back 4 years is a little creepy.
    i do it sometimes lol ngl. idc though haha

• Before I go out on a first date with someone, I will checkout their Facebook page. ( just to make sure that there is not anything creepy on there)

• I think it's a teensy bit intrusive to view the facebook profile of somebody you're not friends with in real life. If someone hasn't seen fit to tell me the important details of their life in person, I assume they don't want me to know (even if it's on facebook). Maybe I'm being a prude?

On the occasions where I have facebook stalked people e. g. because I have no other way of contacting them, I've tended to apologise...

• no its not creepy. That's what facebook is for "implicitly". Zuckerberg made it so that he would know if girls are single or not. I mean, its also for keeping in touch with grandma and funny posts but its not creepy to "stalk". You're just perusing their profile.

• Not at all; they put it out there so unless you're liking/commenting on posts from 2 years ago it's to be expected

• No it's not creepy. It's totally normal. I do it all the time.

• It's only creepy if you try to find where they live and sneak pass their house, wondering what their doing. I don't think anything is wrong with Facebook stalking or simply checking out someone's profile more than once

• I actually do this on a daily basis... A lot during the day.
    I actually found someone on Facebook.. Who's pictures were being used under a fake account (catfish) and publicly called them for it.

• i do it all the time! but id say as long its in moderation.

• Its OK to view just to understand them... but if you go daily to check on them... that's classic stalking... you need to stop it

• No, I don't see what's wrong with Facebook stalking - in the sense that you just spend a lot of time on their profile, looking at their pictures and such.

• Everyone does it!

• That's what Facebook is for.

I visit my ex's page about 30xs a day.

It's unhealthy but whoever says it's creepy is a hypocrite. Everyone stalks. Everyone's curious.

I think it kind of ruins the surprise though. Like the things you have ij common won't be as genuine because you knew before hand

What Guys Said 21

• The fact is, if ya don't want people to see it, then don't put it where people can see it.

Makes no sense to share info and then get bothered that the wrong person saw it.

• If a profile should not be looked at then don't create one or set it up as private. That's a lot like putting something in the wide open and say don't look at it

• Facebook stalking is when you repeatedly check on their content to keep tabs on them and / or build a mental encyclopedia about a person.

Your description does not meet that definition and is certainly not creepy.

• Honestly, I think that it is, but then I only use Facebook as an address book. And when I start dating a woman, I'll usually set it to Private.

I have nothing to hide, but if someone can't ask me something to my face and engage in conversation, then I don't want to be around them, much less be with them.

• I don't think so, every mean to get new information is valid, including stalking whatever the person made public.

• It is not creepy to look at their Facebook in order to get to know them better. When they post stuff, they agreed that their post will be accessed by the public.

• No, everyone does it.

Actually, that's the only reason Facebook is good for now... to stalk crushes/exes/old romantic interests.

• It's research :) haha

• Well wouldn't some girls be interested that a guy actually took time to read the profile and shown general interest, I mean you put it out there so fair game to read it. Plus a positive note, gives you something to talk about in real life

• Regular stalking is creepy, Facebook stalking a bit is not

• I thought that's what Facebook was for.

• Its not creepy to look, I think the line is when you check it every day and where you stand on that line is REALLY small.

• Isn't stalking in general creepy?

• stalking is always creepy no matter where or how you do it

• People stalk me all the time. I mean private entities and the government stalk me, too. Military helicopters follow me whenever I go outside and every night at 3 am. Who am I?

• I use it to check if a girl is single mostly and sometimes to see if we have common interests.

• You kind of answered your own question with the way you phrased it there.

It's a sort of socially acceptable creepiness.
    But usually only when girls do it.

• 78t5 6yfryfy 6ygtyfyf

• That's not really stalking though, is it?

• I do the same thing here on gag, and I'm not creepy

• As if anyone would find out.