Are Christians Allowed to date?

I don't necessarily mean have sex but what you would consider modern dating.
Like my Muslim friend don't date and told me they're not allowed to.
I know the differences but I would have thought the same rule applies.

Aren't Christians not allowed also? Don't you have to be married before being intimate?

Most Helpful Guy

• i honestly don't care!!! While I believe in God, the Bible was manipulated so much by power hungry men, it is hard to know what to believe in that book. I do not believe in abstinence, i find it utterly stupid. Then again, I believe what the Hebrews and early Christians believed that punishment is only temporary and you are given one more chance in the afterlife, this period is called ghenna which lasts about 7 days, which is something that was removed by the church to stoke fear in the hearts of the masses. Unlike many Christians, i do not worry about what will happen when I die, cause we don't know, this could be it and you just wasted your life and practically denied yourself of any fun all because you were worried about a so called "hell", which is actually a pagan idea not an original christian idea by the way, so just live your life and have fun. We will all have to answer to God in Ghenna (hebrew purgatory) whose to say that a person who had pre marital sex or a gay person may go into heaven because they did a lot to help their neighbors but a self righteous person who abstianed from sex is denied because while they strived to be "pure" they truly did nothing to help other people. Again, live your life, you only have one

• and yes some Christians are so stupid in their social conservatism, they are not even allowed to date; have you seen the Duggars?

What Girls Said 16

• Dating is perfectly fine, how else are you supposed to find a suitable partner for marriage if you don't date? Christians are exactly like every other couple including holding hands, hugging, and kissing. It's just sex is reserved for marriage and the two people have a desire to serve God. If anyone is discouraging kissing it's probably to avoid the temptation of sex but that's as far as that goes. Dating is just a normal part of life.

• But why do slot Christians have sex before marriage and co habitate

• @Eric644 Okay, I don't know what else to tell you. I'm going to live my life the way I choose and hold on to my beliefs the same as you are going to.. Let's just agree to disagree and call it a night. What is the point in delaying an argument? At the end of the day God will judge us all, so we'll see who's right and who's wrong.

• exactly, just let people live their lives and if they are Christians that are having pre marital sex, just know that they are still Christian ok. as long as yo don't judge others for their actions it is ok. But to me, personally i am not going to deny myself fun in life just because of the fear of hell, i am going to live my life and have fun, but also I have devoted lots of time in helping others and will continue doing so, so please do not judge. And i will give you one more word of advice, try to look for more accepting and tolerant churches instead of evangelical churches, they do exist :) please do not get wrapped in a hateful church and end up picketing outside and harassing people outside bars and being hateful to gay people. Again there are churches that do preach love (Episcopal, Presbyterian, Lutheran) and there are more tolerant non denominational churches too, if you are looking for a relationship with God, go find the right church, please!!! :)

• lol yes we're allowed to date. u do know that intimacy doesn't have to be the focus of dating right? and yeah we are allowed to hug or kiss and what not, but obviously not take it so far that lust take over. it's common sense really.

• We don't HAVE to. It's a choice based on your personal beliefs. I believe heterosexual relationships with no serious intimacy (meaning any form of sex) are just fine then once you're married intercourse is just fine as long as there's no adultery going on. That doesn't mean I think all other beliefs are stupid or wrong, I just simply disagree. I'm just speaking from a studious Methodist Christian point of view here when I say saving intimacy for marriage is what God wishes and commands. He won't condemn you if you don't follow his rules completely, it's just what he reasonably expects from us. To follow his rules gives you a better life therefore on better terms with God.

As far as what I consider modern dating, I'm sad to say it seems to usually be just two people looking for someone to love them and get married and have kids (not necessarily in that order) all in a hurry. Most people don't take the time and understanding needed for a good relationship.

"Rules" between religions are rarely the same. Even within different denominations of religions. They all have their own beliefs and different expectations and rules and practices.

• I'm Christian. I date. Physical intimacy is not necessary to date someone. The desire to be physically intimate with them is, but acting on it is not.

• Yes Christians are allowed to date. The thing is that they believe in sexual purity, so going out with someone and enjoying that person's company is perfectly fine so long as the couple remain sexually abstinent. Personally I think that's bullshit and a highly prehistoric way of thinking.

• Ultimately, Christianity is the personal relationship you have with Jesus Christ, the Lord and savior. This is not to suggest that it would be ok for a Christian to take advantage of it but use Jesus and His Word as the only truth to salvation and allow it to better you. Having said that, whether you decide to have sex before marriage is between you and God. Just be responsible and understand how sex can change everything including your sense of self if you aren't careful.

• Well stated @Killer-Queen. While it's not the best choice for many Christian couples, I find no outright Biblical prohibition of sex in a committed relationship.

• @RasmusAiken Thank you - I can't say for sure if the old or new testament speaks on sex in a committed relationship (what is a committed relationship other than marriage in the bible anyway?) but any authentic Christian with a proper relationship with Jesus will know in their heart if they should be having sex and with whom, in my opinion.

• We're allowed to date u technically don't have to be married to have sex. Did Adam and Eve get married?

• I assume so at least in the eyes of God.

Also the rules for Adam and Eve don't directly apply to modern day Christians or to the people of Jesus time.

• I know I think the main thing is faithfulness to ur partner but I don't go to church so I might be wrong😑

• i don't go either, i think religion is stupid

• It depends on the church and the people who run it who dictate how life should be for their participants.

• I don't think it's bad to date, but it depends if you really love the other person or not.

• Yep we are.

• I think it really depends on the person and their personal relationship with God/ where they are on their spiritual journey. Personally I believe it is fine to date but then you'd have to define what dating is since it's such a broad term just thrown around these days. There are definitely boundaries when it comes to "dating" though. Ideally, we would like to reserve sex for marriage however as it turns out, sometimes things happen and we are not perfect. We are susceptible to temptation and sin. It's really hard to explain in one concise answer because there are a lot of factors to think about that come into play. For example, firstly, if a person says they follow Jesus but don't exemplify Christ in their life, are they really a "Christian"?

Hope this helps!

• Um no. Christians can date. And kiss. Being a Christian just means you have a relationship with Christ. You can act like normal people with the exception of the obvious. Like premarital sex, under aged drinking, drugs, and purposefully sinning. While everyone sins, Christians should try to set themselves apart. But in answer to your question, yes. Christians can date. It's a personal choice however.

• Yes we are allowed to date -__-

As long as the intent is for marriage in the long run. Kissing, hugging etc... is fine. Intercourse is not.

• Of course we can date.

• May I ask what your Definition of dating is?

• Well of course there is.

• I thought that was forbidden in Christianity. It's inappropriate at least from what I was taught...

• @Eric644 please stop leading people astray!

• They're encouraged to date to marry quickly

What Guys Said 21

• Very often, many conservative Christians are only allowed to be together if they receive approval from their church. I pursued a Christian girl before but she said that we cannot be together because Jesus does not approve our relationship. I immediately WTFed.

• Yes, we are. No thanks to "geniuses" like Joshua Harris and his books like "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" though, some Christians seem rather confused about the subject. People at my college had really weird ideas about it. Caused me some problems later on.

• This is the big misrepresentation. When Muslims say they are not allowed to date, they are saying it completely out of context.

And this is nothing to do with Muslims. Any religion or conservative culture, it does not allow you to have physical relationship out of marriage. Whether you accept it or not is YOUR interpretation and denial. Moreover, you can meet a person of opposite sex and get to know that person and take whatever time it takes but the intention should be that eventually you will either marry that person or part ways.

Since you are mentioning Islam and Christianity, I am giving you THAT view; not what majority of GAGera believe and will try to make you believe.

Thank you for reading.

• What? There's a whole Christian dating site. I wouldn't date one, but if you want to, go right ahead. There's also a whole lot of Christians (almost all of them) who are having sex before marriage. In the Bible people had sex outside marriage all the time -- multiple wives, concubines, slaves...

• You can date, but there are certain standards to dating in Christian circles, especially amongst young people... some that I have heard of include, never being alone together in a scenario where, as @justbanANNAz stated, lust may take over... this could include group outings or double dates, sometimes even chaperoned dates. Christians do have a fair scope of freedom but caution seems to be paramount, for fear of falling into temptation

• u put it much better than i did. well said.

• @justbanANNAz I don't know about better, just different... I think we said the same thing

• 0|0
  • Everyone is allowed to do whatever they want. I think it's considered acceptable for Christians to date - as long as they don't have sex.

• Daring in the western concept isn't allowed in Islam but there is something called dating in Islam it with conditions and a lot of things

• I didn't know that.
      Do you mean the conference kind of thing?

• @complicated_soul alright first of all love isn't a sin coz gid putted it into us and it's normal but god made conditions and rules in the relationship between man and woman so is daring a sin in Islam well a kind of dating is sin and there is another kind which isn't a sin and this daring has conditions which are : the parents must know and agree
      He mustn't touch u like not touch ur hand and the talk between u too become appropriate and that's it

• Oh, thank you😊

• Yes we're allowed to date, kiss, hug etc, anything sexual related, is not to be done until marriage.

• nope, you'll burn forever in hell

s3.amazonaws.com/.../vtJ49EgvTRmmqA9dvy6L_hell.jpg

jk, of course you are...

• hell is actually a pagan idea (hades) that was adopted by Constantine , the Hebrews and original Christians did not believe in a hell

• Yeah dating is ok

• If you're a good christian, NO DATING. God hates daters. You'll all go to H****!

• Modern dating... I think it should be okay as a Modern Christian

• I thought only Muslims had this?

• Dating is fine if there is no sex before marriage.

• Nope we aren't allowed to. Celebit till death

• There is no general rule that applies. Which denomination are we talking about?

• Of course, but no sex.

• God has better things to do.

• Do whatever the fuck you want... nature rules!

• Sure, why not? How are you going to meet the person God has chosen for you if you're not putting yourself out there in the dating world?