What does he mean by "I'm not all about statuses?"?

I've been talking to this guy for about a month now. We first started off as friends with benefits, but then we started hanging out everyday and started getting feelings for each other. I live 2 hours away in college while he's back in my hometown. We see each other every 2 or 3 weeks. We text everyday. Lately he's been telling me that he really likes me. He recently told me he's not all about statuses but he likes me exclusively and he hopes I like him and only him. In other words, he wants me to be exclusive like a girlfriend, but doesn't want to call me his girlfriend? I'm confused and I don't know what to make of this? I don't get why he doesn't want the "status," it's no big deal to me. Help?

Most Helpful Girl

• maybe he's just trying to play it safe. You clearly haven't ever mentioned whether you like to be in an exclusive relationship or not. So he's so much into you that he's playing it safe and giving you both options. Theirs nothing confusing about it. It shows how much he cares for you. If you are really confused, ask him. The best way to know what a guy is thinking is by being direct.

What Guys Said 2

• You have pretty much nailed it.

It's just that he doesn't like to see his relationships put in a box. He doesn't care for labels. To him, he doesn't care about being "officially" your boyfriend or not. He just cares about the fact that he likes you very much and only wants to be with you. It's not that he doesn't want the status, he just doesn't care for it. To him, your relationship is just what it is, he doesn't need it to be classified and put in a box. It honestly doesn't change much in your life.

• he probably hates the using the official term "girlfriend/boyfriend" in the same way i hate the word "ex". it just sounds stupid.

What Girls Said 0