Who Should Pay on First Date?

Folks, who do you think should pay on the first date? If the girl picks the place to eat, does it mean that the girl is the one who's gonna pay? In this case, the guy is asking the girl where she wants to eat and then the girl picks the place. Thanks

Oh also if both of them agreed to see a movie after lunch/dinner and they guy already booked the seats online, is that a sign for the girl to pay the bill without splitting?

Most Helpful Guy

• Generally whoever asks out the other person unless they decide to split the bill. Although there is nothing wrong with one person paying and the other leaving a tip.

Most Helpful Girl

• I always offered to split it, but if the guy made more money than me then I wouldn't object too much when he said no, he would cover it.

• Oh also, if one person suggested a place that was expensive, that person should be willing to pay for it if it's beyond the other's means.

• Noted! :) thanks

What Guys Said 22

• I've paid and tipped for ever breakfast, lunch, and dinner date I've been on. Just the kind of guy I am. I like being protective and feeling like I'm taking care of someone I love. It just seems like a gentleman-like gesture to me. I love it.

• First dates lol... i got some funny stories about first dates and how the girls made such sour puss faces when asked to put some money

It was a week i had 5 dates and it was a little too expensive to take out 5 different girls 😋

But i think a first date if you actually like her and want things to go well... push the pride aside and the guy should pay

After that its fair game

• In an ideal world, whoever asks/picks the restaurant should pay for the date.

But this world is not ideal, and as a guy, we have no choice but to pay for all first dates.

• Whoever does the asking has to pay, unless it is mutually agreed that the bill be split.

• so, in this case he should pay the bill even though the girl picks the place, yes?

• Unless the place she picks is ridiculously and unnecessarily expensive, then yes.

• I'd pay first
    but wouldn't mind if we shared the cost

• I think the girl should always pay, despite what cultural norms say. A guy having the courage to ask her out and arrange one is a lot of stress and fear of rejection, especially for shy guys. It's a real compliment to a girl to be asked out. It should be the right thing to do. I know I'll get flak for this.

• I don't think she should 'have to', but I do agree with you that she should at least offer to pay.

• @MargaritaPeach No, she doesn't 'have to' but she should always offer, and just be classy enough to do so.

• I think the girl should pay at least half the time, but some guys are old fashioned and get very offended by that idea. I guess you just have to kind of get a feel for what they are like. I don't see why it's not guys' sole responsibility. I also don't think a girl should be afraid to ask a guy out on a date. Sure, we get rejected sometimes and that's awkward, but guys have been getting rejected for generations, too.

• Oh, come on. We all know that a girl would freak out if a guy didn't pay. Especially, on the first date. I still pay for almost everything and I've been dating my girlfriend forever, so just suck it up and pay guys. It's not that hard.

• Should just get a prostitute dude.

• @the_rake "far cheaper then the majority of these Golding whores... and cheaper too" yeah maybe they're the only "whores" who would ever sleep with you cause, you're obviously retarted.

• Matt,

Intelligence has never been an attribute that helps much with women anyway. And plus I am perfectly happy to sleep with a reasonably priced whore, it's just that usually it's not necessary.

• I don't mind paying for a date if i take a girl out.

• If she's ugly then she pays.

• While it's true that the role of the alpha male is to provide for the weaker and more dependent sex, its generally better to separate the act of prostitution from dating. this is because if an alpha provides for a whore he is almost guaranteed sex but if he pays for a meal, there's no certainty that the woman will spread her legs. Over a long-term relationship however it's acceptable to pay for a woman provided she performing a domestic role, nurturing for the alpha males offspring and producing a hospitable environment for the young alpha (males) to be raised in. This way, a serviceable act is being done for society and the prostitute's bastard beta males can be raised to be gentlemen that buy drinks and expensive meals from women that won't bang tho.

• I always pay... if I don't I feel my manhood chipping away piece by piece lol

• Whoever insists more.

• Split that bill right down the middle!

• Both should split evenly.

• The girl should pay because I got no job.

• option c
    run like hell when waiter brings the bill

• Split.. If I payed for every tinder sloots meal.. I'd be broke.

• They guy definitely on the first date.

• Flip a coin, call it in the air. Whoever loses, has to pay.

• I think splitting it always makes it easier and more fair.

• I say equality
    Both do

• I'm a traditionalist. In my home town usually the neighbor's grandfather pays unless it is a movie of KFC.

What Girls Said 8

• Unless we've already agreed on who's paying I always assume we're splitting the bill. I can't always afford to pay the full bill so I don't like assuming guys can always afford it.

• Whoever asks out.

If you ask someone to spare their time, the polite thing to do is to pay to show your appreciation.

When one party asks out another, the interaction is not 50/50. One person is attracted, while the other one is unsure, but decides to give it a shot to see where this goes, so I find the expectation of splitting the bill to be in poor taste when manners are concerned.

That being said, my expectation for a first date is going out for coffee and talking so you can actually get to know the person. So if a guy asks me out for coffee, then requests £2 for the bill - that's a rude fucking cheapskate, who has a chip on his shoulder over equality.

When I asked men out, I paid the full bill, because it was ME who was interested, while they were giving me a shot.

Splitting the bill makes sense when the attraction is mutual. If you agree to a second date, you better get your wallet ready.

• Hmm and who normally does the asking out I wonder...

• @the_rake You defiantly have such a problem with paying because, you are broke. Most likely cause you're such an idiot that no one will hire you.

• @Matt_Wreede hire me? Why would I need someone to hire me when I run my own business? And what does this have to do with dating?

• I think it's best to go dutch.

• For now, split it.

I would prefer having the person who asked out the other pay, but the truth of the matter is that most girls today still outright refuse to make the first move themselves. That makes the situation a bit unfair, and men still end up paying all the time.

But since I almost always make the first move, I tend to pay for the first date.

• Guy should pay. Guys always ask where I want to go our have me pick the place. They automatically pay for everything.

• If i asked you to pay for the movie then i would pay for dinner, but if i didn't trust me, we're splitting.

• Who ever wants to? Its not really complicated

• Just split it.