My girlfriend slapped me, should I break up with her?

So my girlfriend of two years and I were in a fight the other day. All the sudden it escalated and we were yelling at each other, and then I said something I probably shouldn't have said about her sister. And for saying that, she pushed me backward and then slapped me. Right after, I was so angry turned around and slammed the wall and yelled "Shit Caroline." And she then started crying and apologizing. And put her arms around me and tried to hug me but, I just left. Now, I’m wondering if I should forgive her. She keeps calling me and saying sorry, it’s been two days. I don’t know if I should break up with her or not. What do y’all think?

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I think I may stay with her even though I know some of tall might disagree. I've just been talking with people I know in real life and I think everyone is telling me to give her one more chance, which I think is fair. So thanks a lot y'all.
And by the way I called her sister a whore cause some of y'all were wondering. I know it's wrong to call someone that, but it's a little better and more justified if you know her sister.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't believe in violence, I don't support her, but I also don't think you should mess with family. I don't know how would be my reaction if somebody said something nasty about my sister. Why didn't you share what you said so we can give an opinion?

• I called her sister a whore, which I know was wrong but you have to know her sister to see where I'm coming from and how it was slightly justified.

Most Helpful Guy

• Usually I would say end it. But I think you done well in making a point that you will not tolerate that kinda shit.
    I'd say give her a final chance. People make stupid decisions and can learn from them. This might be a complete one off.

What Girls Said 10

• If she is violent once, she will probably do it again. I'm not saying she has no right to be angry over you saying something about her sister. However, if she can hit you over that, just imagine other fights. I'm sure you shouldn't have said whatever it was about her sister, but she could have expressed her anger in other ways. There was absolutely no reason for her to hit you. I hate girls who think it's okay to hit their boyfriends just because they're female.

• That would be a deal-breaker to me. I would break up if someone slapped me.

• Slapping is not okay.
    She needs to work on that.

I can't tell you to break since I don't know much about your relationship.

However, I would definitely leave if my hypothetical boyfriend raised his hand on me.

• Since you said something you probably shouldn't say about her sister, I think a slap is okay, to snap you out of it. Forgive her, even though i would say that she should be the one to forgive you, because a slap is nothing if you said something you shouldn't especially about family.

• Just curious...
      If you were in a relationship with a guy and you said something bad about his family when you were angry, would it be okay for him to slap you?

• So, it's not a bigger than vs smaller than issue (because that's not a gender specific thing). It just that physical violence is only allowed by women? Or are there constraints on the level of physical violence allowed? Zero for men, correct? And for women, where is the line between acceptable and unacceptable?

• Your occupation is law?

• I just saw this Now and without even reading your own Update, my Own as a wise ol owl Is: Stay with her, work it out, kiss and make Up... We all do and say things in the Heat of the Heart.
    Good luck. xx

• I would have killed you if you said something about my family.

• Well just watch your words next time. Yeah it was wrong of her to get physical with you, but you could have easily injured her as well, being the stronger sex

• I didn't hit her back, I don't understand what you're saying?

• that you shouldn't have gotten so pissed off about it

• She's physically abusive. If she can't keep her hands to herself what's going to happen if you have kids and she hits you in front of your kid? You been with her for 2 years. I say get out while you can

• Physical and verbal abuse are my deal breakers

• I'm sorry to hear about you and your girlfriend. I believe you should not break up with her. I think the thing you said about her sister hurts her just like you physically slap at her. That's why she reacts that way (I believe this happen for the first time in 2 years... if so, we can say she's normally not a violent person). Ask yourself if you still love her. If you do, my advice is to accept her apology and try to build your relationship to be stronger in the future. Good luck!

• I'd break up with her if I were you. However, if you value your relationship a lot and if you're eager to forgive her, give it one more try.
    It's entirely up to you.

What Guys Said 9

• dont break up dude, give her one chance and tell her if she does it again then breakup...
    a girl can lose her temper sometimes,,,,

• Hmm, I don't condone violence, but she seemed really sorry about it. But she still hit you... so break up. Now it's a slap, but who knows what'll be next.

• So you don't think I should stay with her even though she apologized? Tbh it didn't even hurt that bad, I don't know man.

• If she slapped you once and you forgave her, she's gonna do it again cause she knows if she apologizes you'll forgive her.
      What if next time is a punch instead of a slap? If you accept violence from her, she's gonna keep being violent.

• You need to leave her. From that point, in the back of her mind if you take her back it will be a habit and in the future she will continue to put her hands on you.

• I guess Caroline ain't all that sweet... da-da-da.

Drop her.

• Did what you say about her sister justify her slapping you?

Slappings not okay, I'm not sure how I would react and it would of had to be pretty bad to deserve a slap.

If she ever did it again though I don't think I'd stay.

• I called her sister a whore, I know it was wrong, but it has at least some justification behind it if you knew her sister.

• Well when an insult is true, that's when it hurts people the most.

If the tables were turned I'm sure she wouldn't stay. But if she's truly sorry I'd forgive her for the first time. But I would talk about it and want a proper apology.

• Worked up fight.. Its done , over.. Carry on as you were. Makes you closer I reckon

• You both need help, full of poor energy. No where close to love

• what did you say? if you deserved it no, give her another chance. if it was undeserved then yes

• I called her sister a whore, which I know was wrong. But, if you know her sister it's a little more justified

• sounds like you deserved it, give her another chance

• oh dude stop being a fucking sissy. it's just a slap.. u can't handle ur girl's slap-_-