Is chivalry actually important to you? Why or why not?

So in the last few days I've seen chivalry has been the hot button topic around here. Whether or not chivalry is alive or dead. Who killed it, how, and why. Whether or not it's sexist. I just wanna know do you even care? Does chivalry really mean anything to you? Do those small gestures have any real effect on your life to the point that they absolutely need to be maintained or changed?

• Yes chivalry matters to me
  • No chivalry isn't very important

Most Helpful Girl

• I like chivalry, in a sense that I CAN look after myself, but it's nice when someone wants to look after me.
    When we talk about chivalry, it can be a bit ambiguous. Some women think it's because men think we're less capable, and so they carry heavy things for us, and open doors, etc. Well, surprise surprise, generally women are physically less capable than men. We're smaller, and don't have the same natural muscle power. That's biology. So if a guy wants to carry something, I'll let him.

Can I also just remind ladies that, more often than not, when a guy is being 'chivalrous', he's actually just being a nice person? Have none of you never opened a door for someone? Picked something up, moved something aside, to make things easier? If you have, well, that's the same basic principle as chivalry. If not, well then, frankly, you need to take a long look at yourself.
    Let's stop condemning guys for being good people, and maybe we'll stop seeing so many assholes.

Chivalry isn't sexist. I don't think it's dead, either. Maybe it's not as common as it used to be, but that just makes it extra special when a man goes out of his way to help me out.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, it is very important to me.

Not because women cannot provide for themselves, not because women shouldn't be treated like anyone else, and not because public opinion says that such thinking is archaic and sexist.

Chivalry is important because it provides a basal set of behaviors and mannerisms that a young man (with no father, no mother, or any combination of the two, or even none of the above) can build upwards upon and thus shape his personality. He can even fall back upon them if put into an undesirable situation or conflict, and the concept of chivalry is so well-known that others will identify it immediately and act accordingly.

Chivalry is also important to me because of the type of women I date, usually they appreciate being treated like a lady, like someone valued and treasured in my life, and not just because we have sex every now and then. I'll drop money on dates because its my money to spend, I'll hold open doors because I want to hold open doors, and I'll fight someone for disrespecting/embarrassing my lady out in public because such things are anathema to how civilized people should act.

And if someone has a problem with any of that... tough. Their opinions mean next to nothing compared to my own, my lady's, and my those in my social circle I care about. Everyone else can sit and spin, lol!

What Girls Said 48

• Chivalry isn't important because it's pretty much sexist (okay maybe that's not the right word, but we'll go with it).
    Why would you want somebody chivalrous when you can just have someone who is polite and has common decency? Chivalry is basically a slap in the face to polite society because it says we should be kinder to women than we should be to men- which is ridiculous, be polite to everyone!
    Chivalry is 'technically' only being polite to women e. g. opening doors for them, giving up your seat etc.
    But honestly, would you rather have someone who only gives their seat up for women, or somebody who is polite to open doors and give up their seat for anyone?
    I'd prefer option two any day.

• I don't mind chivalry as long as it's not done in an attempt to manipulate me into sex. I think it's great to have mutual respect for your partner, that's whats more important.

Chivalry is nice, but it's definitely not the same type of chivalry as what has happened in the past. It's definitely changed.

in my opinion little gestures are important. But BOTH parties in the relationship should do them. One-sided relationships suck. But I guess it really depends.

Not everyone is into leaving cute notes and sending flowers. Some people would rather just spend time and have a good laugh with their partner. I think it comes down to caring and loving your partner and also having mutual respect. If you don't have those things, then the relationship will suffer.

• To me, chivalry is a huge surprise. I'm always surprised and I praise the man for showing it. My boyfriend won't let me walk on the sidewalk next to cars, and he always sleeps nearest the door.

I think both killed it. Lazy men and feminist women. Between the two chivalry has been killed.

It means a lot to me and I reward it with things like home cooked meals, cleaning, etc. Due to my job in a supermarket of being treated like complete shit, I hugely appreciated being treated like a fellow human, let alone a woman.

• it is important to me. chivalry, to me, is respect enacted and I don't know bout other women but id like to feel respected. i dont find chivalry sexist, it's sad some people have this view. so what if a guy opens a door? is that supposed to indicate that i can't open it myself? please, fcxk that.

why can't guys do things just for the sake of being nice? is it so bad? if i dont want something done for me ill just politely say, 'it's ok, thank you anyway', but not sit there making assumptions about how sexist he is.

• I voted A.

I find chivalry to be a gorgeous thing. We love our modern independence in life and in love, but deep down, we want guys to treat us like ladies. I want a guy to court me a bit. In fact, I am sort of holding out for that. Someone to sweep me off my feet? No, gosh no.

Grand gestures are wholly unnecessary. I just want someone I can count on. I just want him to do little things to make me sure he's the real deal. Dating today is tough, and we women always seem to have doubts about the guys that roll into our lives.

Does he like me, really? Are his motives genuine? Can I trust him completely? Guessing means you usually can't, and confusion isn't a good thing. Most women would like to erase that. So, if he puts in the time and does the little things, it's like a screening process for us.

• See, what people call "chivalry" I call just being polite and having good manners. I mean, me and my parents just went to McDonalds the other day when me and my mom were coming out this little (couldn't be more the 6) year old boy and his grandparents were coming in. And, this little boy was holding the door open for this guy that was coming in and the guy thanked him. But, does the little boy doing that make him chivalrious? No, it just means his parents taught him good manners. Which, will probably carry over through all of his life. So, don't see that the way most people do.

To answer you question though, finding someone who I actually connect with, don't feel lonely around and doesn't make me feel crappy about myself, is more important to me then anything else. So, is chivalry important to me? No. Is having fairly good manners, being polite, considerate and not acting like you were born in a barn something I would like a guy to have? Sure, but it's not written in stone.

• My parents and I* my mom and I*
      You are right, in your example, that that isn't chivalry, it is in fact common decency.

• Being polite is important. I will hold doors for people (plenty men and women don't say thank you) i will offer to pay for all or my half of things on a date, I will treat my boyfriend.
    I don't like when a guy has to run to he other side of the car to open the door for me and stuff like that, that's just weird, and I feel bad when he always insists on paying for everything, I just feel guilty and like I have to make it up to him

• No, not really. It is more important to me that a guy simply treat me with respect. Chivalrous gestures are nice but it's not something I care too much about.

• I don't care about chivalry but I do care about manners. I don't think men should treat women nicely because they're women, I think they should treat them nicely because they're humans. I think men should be nice to women but i think women should be equally nice to men, I also think men should be nice to other men and women should be nice to other women. Basically to sum it up I think people should be nice to each other full stop.
    I do appreciate small gestures from other people whether they're male or female. The only time I don't appreciate them is when I know that the gesture is being done just because I'm a girl and not because the person actually wants to be nice.

• Chivalry is definitely nice, but I wouldn't say it's necessary. I like having doors held open for me, and I think it's really cute when a guy opens the passenger door of his car for a girl on a first date (or randomly). Again though, not necessary! I don't expect a guy to be chivalrous, but if he is then it's a nice surprise and always appreciated.

One thing I don't agree with is that a guy should pay for everything. I don't mind taking turns paying for things.

• chivalrous = having or showing honor, loyalty, generosity, and courtesy

Yes chivalry matters to me

I've never considered (modern) chivalry to be gender-specific. It's a standard for how you act and behave towards others, and IMHO, more people should have it.

~~ Disclaimer ~~
    Yes, there is a definition of the word that pertains to ye olden times when horseback was the fastest way to get around and it meant essentially "men's manners," but just as the transportation changed, the execution did as well.

• It's fine if you don't wish to see it as gender based, but do understand when you are discussing it that many others DO see it that way. I don't think anyone would argue against common decency, collectively making your point here moot.

• @Fortres Actually, if "many" (not all) others see it that way (gender-specific), then by process of elimination there must exist people that do NOT see it as being gender-specific. Seeing as how the asker did NOT specify which definition they were referring to, the addressing of any/all definitions in the answers (not just gender-specific ones) becomes valid and your comment about how only answers answers addressing the gender-specific definition are valid (for whatever reason you choose), is the thing that becomes moot. (Just trying to have fun here, don't take it personally.)

Ps. Come on man, you've got enough points to be Lvl 5 and you really think that 'no one here would argue against a universal standard for decency?' Seriously? There's not 1 question on this site where literally everyone agreed on the universal standard of common decency, much less that they shouldn't argue it.

• I got however many points I had from people who do not latch on to the one point they have a problem with at the expense of the validity of the comment as a whole, or even in part.

Back to the original point, if your definition of chivalry was the one under scrutiny, it wouldn't be a hot topic. No one has issues with loyalty, generosity, courtesy.

But, I can argue semantics all day long, same as you, the difference is I do it from the point of view that the approach matters, and you from the me vs you stance. Don't worry, not taking anything personally, if I was worried about feelings I'd be a lot higher than whatever percent I've accomplished.

• I don't believe in "chivalry". I do believe in treating people, and particularly your partner, with respect and doing/saying things to make them feel loved, wanted and special. But it's a two-way street.

I absolutely DO expect my boyfriend to share his umbrella if it's raining, warm me up when I'm cold, buy me a cute little gift once in a while just because, and take me out for a nice dinner on a special occasion - BUT, I do the same things for him. I don't think of those things as chivalry. They're just simple and easy ways to show someone how much you care.

• I do have some concern about your sense of expectation. Generally, it is not a healthy emotion, though emotions probably not the right word, and behavior doesn't seem right either. You might consider doing some research on the subject.

• Would you mind explaining what you think is unhealthy about it? All I said was that while I do have expectations of him, they're not expectations I don't meet myself..

• No, and I certainly understand why you don't see it as a problem, being that you find your expectations reasonable, and are willing to meet them yourself.
      But as a principal foundation, expectations can be very problematic to your general happiness. My suggestion was that you do a little research into the subject and decide for yourself if it's a facet of your personality that deserves a critical look.
      To briefly break it down, it is important to understand your wants and needs, and it is important to know how and when to ask for what you want and need, and it is important to make decisions based on how those wants and needs are met. But those expectations, or feelings of entitlement, lead to a world of hurt that I think you would agree, you would be better off without

• It's nice to have someone opening or holding a door to you. I know that there's more to chivalry than just opening doors, but this is the least a stranger can do for you. If you don't open the door to me, I won't get offended. I'm a natural independent and, even though chivalry is super nice, I don't need some cute, "gentlemany" guy to open the door for me to make my day. Indeed pleasant, but not indispensable.

• Only since being on this site have I ever heard of chivalry being purely a thing for men to do or that it was sexist or unfair. It's just manners! I hold the door for people, I give people my coat if they are cold, When serving food, I serve the woman first. It's just etiquette and I couldn't give two fucks if someone thinks it's sexist. It isn't dead, I get told Ladies first all the time, I have doors held for me, heavy bags taken from me, it's juts being polite. The other day I had to struggle across a petrol forecourt with a 25kg bag of coal and a sack of wood as two middle aged men rolled their eyes at me because my car was in their way. You're telling me that's a nice world to live in? No way. We should all be polite and chivalrous to each other. It's a nice thing to do.

• Several things in this opinion. Chivalry is defined as a gender interaction, if not strictly men to women. Manners is just manners, it's common decency, but it's not chivalry. Chivalry is a courting behaviour, and past that, it's akin to ownership.
      Serving the women their plate first, and having a women first policy, is proper, I believe, because women are the greater sex. Not everyone will agree, and that's their business.
      Lastly, helping someone who is struggling with something that you could easily help them with is part common decency, and part community-based.

• I've noticed this as well. The most miserable people I encounter here are usually in their 40s and 50s. Retirement age folks are pretty much permanently smiling and very courteous.

• @MaskedSanity maybe it's because by 40 life just wears you down, ha! Once you hit retirement I think I'd be cheerier :)

• Chivalry is not important at all since it is the idea that females need special treatment form males because we are too weak and incapable to do anything for ourselves. And chivalry also existed because men assumed that being considerate of a woman made her owe you sex which is not the case. What society needs is common courtesy, treating EVERYONE with respect no matter what gender. Open a door for someone because you are a good person not because you hope it will help you get laid :)

• Is chivalry actually important to you?
    B. No chivalry isn't very important

Why or why not?
    I find it sexist and I also find most of the guys who follow it tend to be misogynistic.

• So you think it's sexist against women instead of men?

• @Fortres
      I am not a feminist.

By assuming I was you're the one ineptite at rationalizing.

I know the difference betweeen courtesy and chivalry. You however seem to forget that this discussion was about chivalry.

It is amusing how you went to assumptions when showed how flawed your reasoning was. LMFAO

Not dating someone with an incompatible mindset is lacking empathy.

• *inept not enptite... autocorrect error

• Chivalry is nice and almost dead.. I like it and I don't think that it's sexist because men act towards women with respect and nice courtesy. Sure, you can have polite approach and stuff like that, but in some weird way it's not the same.
    Long story short, chivalry matters to me even if it's not 100% important.

• But the point is the polite things they do are specifically done because they are men and you're a woman, and many women feel they are done with a mindset of superiority, that is to say, I'm going to do this for you because you aren't _ enough to do it yourself. Or it isn't becoming for you to do this. The concern is that it's not done out of respect.

• @Fortres well, as long as it's done out of respect and just to be polite or nice it's perfectly fine.

• I don't need someone to open a car door for me but holding a door into a restaurant or somewhere is important don't just slam it in my face. I do the same though If I beat my man to the door I'll open it for him... But no matter your gender small gestures and acts of kindness are nice so. I'll have to say yes to some extent.

• I don't care about chivalry specifically, I care about manners in general. Like holding doors open for people is just polite. It's what polite people do, regardless of gender. I like people who treat everyone with respect and consideration.

• It's not hugely important but living ina polite society is much more pleasant for everyone involved. If someone's coming through the door behind you, hold it open. If someone is struggling with a bunch of bags, help them. Not rocket science. Being polite applies to everyone and not just men.

• While it initially represented the honor and nobility of Knights in medieval times, it has become in modern times the act of showing more attention to women. It is a custom that in some small way celebrates the value of women in our society. I like being treated with appreciation. It certainly helps my day to day mood. After talking with my boyfriend and other men, I've learned they enjoy the small acts of chivalry they initiate. it helps them retain the notion of being gentlemen.

• HAHA, THIS PROVES MY POINT EXACTLYYYY.

She literally just said " the act of showing more attention to women." HOW IS THAT NOT SEXIST.

Why aren't women expected to be chivalrous toward men?

• @alfonsosloan45 women can be, but that would be an interpretation of chivalry, not the general definition.
      Can't you admit it's sexist that it's not chivalrous for men to hold open the door for other men?

• It's not actually important to me personally and tbh I've never really experienced any real chivalry in my home country, I actually never did anywhere outside of Japan which then again is a rather conservative country where people (not only men but women, too!) actually still have manners 😂 and I didn't perceive it as sexist, just curtesy.

• I don't care about chivalry at all. I just want a guy to respect me and to be polite to everyone. Sure you can open doors for me, but why only me? Just open them for everyone who's close by and wants to enter. I do the same.
    So I don't mind that chivalry is dead. Maybe it's even a good thing. Meaning that gender equality is really getting somewhere.

• Of course! I believe it shows a sign of maturity, respect, and genuine interest. I love it. Why wouldn't any girl/guy deserve less?

• It means a lot to me. I think girls should be chivalrous too though

• I wouldn't say I look for chivalry but I do look for someone who respects me completely. I don't need a guy to pull out my chair for me. Honestlyt that is annoying. If he does open the door for me it shows he respects me but I also like opening the door for him because I respect him too. It is all mutual.

• i cna do things for myself thank you very much, i am a perfectly strong and capable young woman. i believe in general politeness, but im just a fairly independent person, always have been.

• I don't know, I guess it's not really that important to me. My current boyfriend is the only one who has ever shown me chivalry though, so for a long time I didn't know what it was like. I enjoy it, but I'm also not used to it, nor is it crucial for me to want to continue a relationship.

• Not at all. Chivalry is a sexist tradition, and it needs to die out ASAP.

Courtesy is the way to go. Open the door for anyone. Be nice to everyone. Not just women.

If a woman expects a man to be chivalrous, she better be prepared to be chivalrous herself. At that point it just becomes courtesy. Problem solved!

• If by chivalry you mean a guy holding doors open and all that, no it isn't important. I want him to be polite and protective when necessary and reasonable, but I don't need a guy to pay for everything, open my doors, stuff like that.

But if by chivalry you just mean all people regardless of gender exhibiting manners, yeah that's pretty important.

• More from Girls
    18

What Guys Said 42

• A respectful and polite man towards woman is called chivalrous, while a respectful and polite woman towards men is called... respectful and polite.
    Chivalry is important and it matters to me because it shows you respect others and are polite, but this should also be applied to women too, not just men. We should all be chivalrous.
    I will always be a chivalrous man, I take pride on that, and I'd like for more men to be that way, but also for women to appreciate it and not take it for granted, a thank you is enough, or even a simple smile will do.

• I use to think so. but you need to be careful in what context you're being chivalrous in.

I'm a fat guy who's been single and noticeably single for a while. When I would hold a door for a girl, I would get the weird look like pfff as if and the girl would use a different door in high school. In college I stood up for a girl who was being belittled and the girl turned to me and called me names after.

I feel like I shouldn't care, but I got super pissed one day when I was treated like a piece of shit after I just tried to be nice. I called this girl a needy prissy bitch. I unloaded, yea it didn't make me feel any better afterwards but at that point I didn't care. You don't just rip a man up and act like you're too good just because you thought that man had different motives other than being nice.

Since then I've stopped being like that, I've given up the Chivalry. Sucks but it happens. You don't start out like an asshole but eventually situations and life can turn you into one. Now I let the door close behind me even when someone is coming I'll never pick up books that fell nor will I hold a seat out.

If I decide to be nice it will be on my terms and it sure as hell better not get me some sort of stupid ass look. Cuz then I'm going to go full asshole on ya.

• Chivalry has never been alive to begin with. People seem to forget that chivalry was a code of honor in combat for medieval knights. It had next to nothing to do with how men treat women.

But if I were to go along with everyone's version of 'chivalry', I'd say it doesn't matter to me. I open doors for completely anyone anyway, regardless of gender, and I give seats to the elderly only + pregnant women and people who are sick. That's about as "chivalrous" as I'll get.

• Being a Chivalrous and abiding by the full code and being a gentleman in general have always been extremely important to me, it's how I was raised to conduct myself properly as well as using common sense and decency and manners/etiquette.

As you can see in the comments below a few women think it's sexist even though out of the whole code quite literally only 2 lines of it really have anything to do with women at all, and judging from their comments, don't even know what the code deals with. Ignorance at it's finest I suppose, not that it matters I don't do it for them anyway.

I do it for everyone, men and women, because some people have to set a standard for others to follow, order, manners, respect breeds more of the same.

• Chivalry is a huge part of who I am. I was raised and brought up in a privileged English-European and posh environment and private school, I have been taught to respect woman, to be honorable, to be chivalrous and to be a gentleman. Much like the old days I believe and medieval times.

No matter how hard you try, men and women will always be different. You can never achieve true and pure equality between the two because the two are so different. The only way is to treat each differently in a way that benefits both in the best way so that they can live and prosper with the same outcome.

I believe strongly in how society operated in the old days, now a lot of feminazis just ruined it for many women. I will always treat a woman better and with more care than of men. According to some people, this way of think is sexist for believing that men and women are different.

• Can you give some examples in how chivalry operates in the real world? We all know the standard Ines of opening doors, pulling out chairs, and as many people would include, paying for things. I am hoping to hear of some of the ways one can mitigate the glaring differences between the genders

• Chivalry surely doesn't mean only treating women in a certain way that's only the tip of the ice berg. You cannot call yourself chivalrous simply because you open doors/give up seats for women etc. Chivalry is more of a moral/principal - code in which you live by.

Examples would be to always have integrity and be honest. Never attack someone who is much weaker than you. To take accountability/responsibility even for things that you may not even do etc.

Above all, is Honour. Honour God, Honour others, Honour Self.

• It's very important to me. I try and treat everyone with respect no matter if it's a stranger or friend or S. O.

But at the same time I see how some ladies will see my chivalry as a way to make them seem unequal or my way of trying to get into their pants. So it's important to me but I have to pick and choose my battles.

• Chivalry embodied concepts of courtesy, respect, honour, and honesty. The modern interpretation is more about pulling a woman's chair out for her at the dining table than it is being a decent all-round person.

• so i'll preface by saying yes I believe in chivalry; however, I believe in it more by it's literal meaning. As in a moral, social and spiritual code. So for me it's not necessarily about treating women a certain way but treating people in general a certain way... so being polite, thoughtful, generous, etc

• Chivalry is a big issue for one real big reason: no one seems to agree on the definition.
    It's easy to argue all day long when you're talking about different things!

• I don't like to admit this but evidence supports it, I think there might be a portion of the population (typically female) that needs to be treated like this, they are just to weak and fragile to function in the real world. There was a reason for feinting couches in the past and just look at the new trend of feinting couch Feminism now, where grown adults (usually women) need a safe space full of puppies and gentle music to escape opinions different then their own on a University campus.

Personally I think chivalry is retarded and I want nothing to do with it, I have no interest in any woman who likes chivalry or anything resembling it. How about we all just be decent people who treat each other with kindness, you know the golden rule you learn in kindergarten. No need for some social structure that favors one group based on their sex.

• CHIVALRY , is it for the ladies?
    How to taunt with Chivalry.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt0_V666Cjc

• The gender split on this question is interesting. Almost 70% of girls say chivalry is important. Guys! Pay attention!

• God wired men to honor woman not because they are weak and can't do things themselves but because it is respectful! God wired us to treat woman politely like this, think of it as a sense of honor and respect not to show you are weak and fragile for Petesake. I would be honored it anyone opened the door for me but I sure as heck wouldn't slap it back in their face and say how rude, I can do that myself, that's being a baby and being super sensitive. Nobody is questioning anyone's strength. Men have a sense of leadership put on their chest from day one and it's only natural for him to show these behaviors.

• Chivalry is kinda stupid in my opinion..

Men are expected to be a dashing, noble prince charming, and women are not.
    It doesn't work both ways; therefore it isn't fair.

People should be nice anyways. You can tell someone is a dick. Don't date them; simple.

• I love the practice of chivalry, but not the meaning behind it. A guy shouldn't act respectful towards women because they're women, a guy should act respectful towards women because they're people. Same thing applies to women, in fact everyone should act chivalrous towards one another. Especially towards pregnant women and the elderly.

• Women killed it when they started wanting to be chivalrous too. EVERY time I'm with a girl and I open the door for her, she makes sure she opens the next for me. It's that simple.

• I like doing nice things to people I like from time to time; but I do my best to do it not because of their sex. Chivalry for the sake of "treating a woman she should be treated" is benevolent sexism.

• i give you my personal opinion, i have always been chivalrous to my gf's. I always put myself last, as long as they are happy, safe and healthy i'm fine. But i have learned the hard way, that it's women who kill chivalry. my recent ex girlfriend, took me for granted. I canceled a 3 day holiday with my parents because her dog had bitten her, went to the nighcare with her , driving her around etc.. i did help her in her household, interacted with her daughter. all kinds of things i did for her, cooking for her, cutting the fence etc.. I stood up for her on a house festival, some guy started threw his arms around her, i didn't know they were friends, so i stepped in and told him to back off. i talked to guy, he gave me a hand and respected me for standing up for my girlfriend, all she did , was calling an a-hole. nice huh, or when i was cutting her fence, she was drinking smoothies inside with a female friend, with the things i bought for the smoothie but i got nothing , not even a glass of water. I got into a car with a drunken buddy of hers, who she has been feeding rum behind the steering wheel, just to make sure she got home safe, i offered to drive but she rejected my offer. i tried several times to talk into her behaviours, that i find disturbing and not acceptable for a 32 yo single mom, with a 4 yo daughter. today , we have been seperated for a week, and she posted on her fb , after attentind a fetish party, i quote : dump all your sperm at me''. when i had red that i texted her a long text on how discusted i am by her, how she lets me standing in the cold , while she does these things. i told her that she doesn't excist to me anymore, i just can't believe how a single mom, who wants to be a manager in her field of work, acts like this. and this is coming from a 5 year younger guy. but she doesn't want to hear what i have to say, whenever i critize her way of life, how irresponsible it is, she walks away and tells me to fuck off. i deactivated my fb account, shut down my phone. gonna hide it for a complete week, and maybe she already blocked me i dont know, but she will get one more note from me, with an envelop containing this keychain heart she gave me, and tell her. your words were nothing but shallow promises, you abused my trust, when i was intimate with you. take this back, its nothing more of a reminder of your lies. i hope one day you will think better of me. and even know im chivalrous, do it for you dude, ecause its makes you feel good ! dont do it for a girl

• It's definitely an honor to live alongside your trusty steed !

I don't care if other men stop holding doors,
    or slams it cause they ain't getting a small 'thank you'.

It'll hurt my soul more to let someone shiver in the rain,
    than feel warmth beyond the doors.

• I was raised to be a real gentlemen with women, so now I get offended if I don't. Like I'm the offended one...

Yeah, I'm weird like that.

• May I ask how was it that you were 'raised' like that?

• I was told early on to get the door, their seat, say ma'am always, not sag... Stuff like that near women. I was popped if I acted otherwise and if I acted disrespectful to or near a woman, regardless or her age or who she is. I was told it's what a gentleman does and, now, I feel it's only right. So I have a habit of automatically being polite to girls without thinking.

• Yes, anything that sets me ahead of the pack is excellent in my book.

• LOL, chivalry. I don't do that stuff.

You don't need to be nice to anybody, especially jerks who won't appreciate it. But if you are going to be nice, be nice to guys AND girls. Don't just be nice to girls so you can attempt to have sex with them.

• Just be kind to everyone

• A dated code of conduct based on Middle Age morals and costumes? Hardly.

I rather be nice with people in general and hope those who need. It's called being adecent human being.

• chivalry is chauvinism. i prefer just being a decent person over all.

• I find kindness to be the key to my life, so yeah chivalry is important to me.

• I will always be a chivalrous person. No-one is going to change that, i don't care if i'm the only guy i know that does it, it's the way i am

• Not important to me. I am kind often though so...
    it just kind of happens randomly.

• Most women don't even know what that is anymore.

• Manners, common decency, and good taste are important to me. Chivalry is not.

• More from Guys
    12