Can my boyfriend still smell it if I secretly smoke? Tips on quitting smoking?

So my boyfriend asked me to stop smoking. I told him I had, but whenever I'm at work or with friends I smoke. Most of my coworkers and friends are smokers. I tried quitting but could only go for 2 days smoke-free at a time. It's a social thing.

Do you think he could still smell it on my clothes, hair, breath? After like 10-15 minutes, is the smell still there? I always try to smell my own clothes qne hair, but I can never smell anything.

Any advice on what to do to make quitting easier is welcomed. Patronizing "advice" on how I should stop but not giving me any tips on how to make it easier is not welcomed. I already know I should quit.

Most Helpful Guy

• You aren't fooling anyone, unfortunately. The smell will stay on your clothes, and everywhere, frankly. You simply can't notice it because you've become too accustomed to the smell. Odds are, he knows you're lying to him.

As for quitting. You have to make it gradual.

Let's say you smoke one package per day. That's what, 24 cigarettes? Let's just assume it is, because I don't know.

Anyway, 24. On day 1-2, smoke 24. On days 3-4, smoke 23. On days 5-6, smoke 22. Etc. Until you get down to 1 cigarette per day

Then, when you're down to 1 cigarette per day, then gradually eliminate the number of days you smoke.

So week 1 (starting on Monday), smoke 7 days. Week 2, smoke 6 days (don't smoke on Sunday). On 3, smoke 5. Etc. Until you get to only smoking 1 cigarette once a week (one cigarette on Monday).

By then, you should probably be able to just outright quit. But if not, extend the principle. Smoke on Monday once every two weeks. Then once every three weeks. Then try stopping altogether again.

Anyway, hope that idea helps.

• I did go from like 15 a day to 4-7 per day. And on Sundays where I don't meet my friends or coworkers and just hang out with him, I don't even think of smoking. So I can survive days without smoking. I just need to have people who hate it around me all the time lol and need to be busy with them, haha...

• But it hasn't seem to be working lol it went down only because I moved in with my boyfriend, so also situation demands that change. I can't smoke at home anymore now. That's why I can only joke maximum 7 a day now

• Smoke

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, if I were you, I would get help from a doctor on how to quit. Doctors have experience with helping people quit who may have been smoking for much longer than you have, and their expertise, support, and ideas may really help you find the right direction.

I never understood why people resort to patronizing advice to help someone implement a change in their life especially when they are willing to take the step. Good for you, girl. It's hard, but it will be worth it. And you're right, environment including social environment plays a huge role. Some behaviors become conditioned into you like a reflex. The good thing is, the reflex arc can be broken with help. Good luck!

• Starting today, I'm reducing again from 4 a day to 2-3 a day

What Guys Said 23

• Because you are a smoker you are immune to the smell. You have got use to it and can't smell it. However, for us non-smokers we can often smell it as easy as anything even 10 or 15 minutes later or even hours later sometimes so there is a good chance he can smell it and he is just not bringing it up. Did you try to stop smoking by just going cold turkey because if you did that does not work for most people, you need to cut the cigarettes down a little bit, like 2 less cigarettes a day then once that becomes the norm for you cut another 2 cigarettes off what you smoke etc etc. There are also products you can buy to help you stop to.

• Yeah I went down from 15 to 4-7 cigarettes a day now. But everytine I try to go from 4 to 0, it only works for like 1-2 days before I would feel the cravings again when I'm stressed

• Some people you can smell cigarettes on much more than others. I think it partly depends on the type of clothing you wear.

• "But everytine I try to go from 4 to 0, it only works for like 1-2 days before I would feel the cravings again when I'm stressed"

That "smoking reduces stress" is the biggest fraud your mind plays you and other smokers. The reality is different though. It is you being addicted and because of that addiction you do feel stressed out when you don't smoke. Naturally smoking calms you down when you are pleasing your addiction.

• after 15minutes the smell is definitely still there and probably can taste it on your lips and breath

quitting is difficult...
    1. quit the habitual/routine smoking. for me this meant quitting after meals
    2. find things to do at moments when you want or would normally smoke
    3. don't set yourself a firm deadline. Almost guaranteed you'll break it. for me i set a time frame. and told myself i was going to cut back. I started weening myself down from 4 a day to 2 to 1. When i got to one. I started planning the timeframe to quit.

• I believe that a smoker will quit but can only quit in their own time, not because someone has demanded it, so really, you need to make the move for you and not your boyfriend, and yes he will be able to smell it unless your careful and don't over do the smoking like some people do. Try the E-cigarette, apparently they are the best form of giving up, x

• Still smelling it depends on what you smoked, where you smoked it, and how long ago you smoked it. It seems to stay on your breath, face and hands the most, followed by clothing and hair. The smell is most definitely still there after 10-15 minutes. If you want to conceal it, you need a longer period of time after smoking before you see him, and to have washed your face, hands, and freshened or changed your breath thoroughly.

I don't have any advice on quitting. I didn't like smoking very much when I tried it and so didn't want to take it up seriously. The cost, health effects and smell were enough to make me think the buzz wasn't worth it.

• yes!!! WE can still smell it on your hair, clothes, taste it in your breath when we kiss you. Just stop smoking, i quit cold turkey and now even the smell of a ciggarette in someones hands repulses me. I went from being a smoker to being absolutely repulsed by it. You can do it!!!

• But what do you do when your friends and coworkers want to smoke? Just stand there awkwardly?

• yep, i have no desire to smoke, it disgusts me now. Plus I've taken up running since i quit, so it gives me more of incentive not to smoke. If you feel like you need to smoke, start smoking e cigs or vapor pens they are better than ciggaretts, then graduate to quitting cold trkey

• the only thing i might smoke is hookah, and that is only a couple times a year

• Stop smoking it's not good for you. If your friends smoke, don't mean you have to either. Someone i know has cancer from smoking and i dont want the same to happen to you. I would assume you're a beautiful girl so you don't want to get all wrinkle face ;)

But in all honesty try you best to stop.
    Some tips:
    -If your friends smoke, step aside or away from them just for that time frame
    -Maybe chew gum when you have the urge to smoke OR even buy that niccorette gum.
    -Buy those patches.

Sorry i said anything to harsh above but it's for your own good :) and also don't lie to your boyfriend, i believe you can stop smoking :)

good luck!!!

• You have an addictive personality, pick up something different. Try drinking coffee whenever you get the urge to have a smoke. It's more expensive but it's how I keep myself from slipping and smoking weed again. Obviously I've never been addicted to weed because it's nonaddictive but it helps me keep my mind on other things. Right now, I wish I could smoke I'm losing my control over my mind quickly and this never ends well.

Just find something new to do, find something that fulfills the pleasure center need and swap it out.

• I already drink plenty of coffee. And if I try to stop smoking, I crave for sweets like 24/7. Why can't I crave for carrots and cucumbers? 💩

• Then get natural sweets with unprocessed sugar. But things that are so sweet eating too many will make you sick.

• Examples? I'm a chocolate addict by the way. Without cigarettes, I will fall back on my chocolate addiction

• For smelling yes it will happen

But you can do this, gum... or mouthwash.. some kind of scent and you need to time... about 30-60 mins at least

For quitting, use a vaporizer for e liquid nicotine, that will help you quit big time AND it won't cause any smell at all on you, your boyfriend will never know with that..

• Yeah, but i seem for some reason not to smell that much smoke on a female smoker, my cousin she smokes and as many times as she's been out and about and comes to visit me i never smell cigarette smoke on her.

• Yeah I wondered about that too since my boyfriend had never said anything. If he did smell something he would've said something often enough.

• Yeah, my cousin, Lynn can be smoking and come to the house
      i never smell smoke on her , i think that women smokers take
      better care of their hygiene and most use body sprays or perfume
      and this one girl i used to hang with. Richelle she never smelled
      from smoke and she used to smoke, I use to buy her smokes for her

• You can't hide it. If you smoke cigarettes the smell is on your hands, your clothes, in your breath and not just in the bits a toothbrush can clean. Good luck quitting.

• Yes. Smoking is disgusting. If I find out a girl I asked out smoked, the date is over right then and there.

• What you think of it was not what I asked. Like I said, I don't need lectures. I need tips on quitting

• I answered "YES". He can still smell it and gave you an example.

The way to quit is to stop buying cigarettes.

• The smell will stay on you for hours, even after you shower. It slowly seeps out of your body like sweat and will do it for a couple days, even if you quit smoking in the mean time.

You need to start vaping

• How about just telling him the truth instead of lying to him?

Tell him you're having difficulties quitting and let him help you.

• Yes and discipline.

• I can smell it from a mile away. I can also tell if someone smokes or not. They usually look good in their teenage years and twenties. But their skin also shows signs of aging. You're going to look really bad in your thirties if you continue smoking so much. Is this enough to convince you to stop smoking? If you want to maintain your beauty, quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself.

• Lol "maintain your beauty" what beauty?

Anyway, I know I should stop, so I don't really need your lecture on that. Any tips though on making it easier?

• I like fat people, though.

• That's just you. Most people don't.

• Yes, definitely. It is very easy to smell out a smoker.

• I know I would be able to smell it.

• Ofcourse remember the smell doesn't come from your mouth but through your lungs!

• Oh trust me. It cannot be hidden. The other person may pretend he/she doesn't know but in reality, he/she does.

• Try vaping. Then take down how much nicotine in it so you can quit. :D.

• just two things u need to remember

1] ITS EASY. say it

2]it is IMPORTANT

• Smokers become smell-deaf to cigarette smoke but it is a strong odor to non-smokers.

• Are you doing it because you think your coworkers (Manager) will fire you if you dont?

• How can they fire you if you become a non-smoker? I am curious?

• So that you'll be approved by your coworkers friends... trust me, you're jsut doing this to stay with your job

• I said "Coworkers AND friends". Trust me, you're just being a very bad troll now.

What Girls Said 12

• First of all, you should only quit smoking for yourself. That will decrease the chance of failing.

He definitely smells it, though. Non-smokers have a sixth sense for smoke on people. The smell sticks in your hair and clothes and you can only use the excuse of 'my friends smoked around me' so many times.

Try to be honest with your boyfriend too. If you're not ready to stop, you're not ready. It's best to stop at a point in your life where you are least stressful. During a week off of work. Having the flu is, though not pleasant, a great way to quit smoking as well. When your lungs are so stuffed the smoke won't pass, you'll be done with it soon enough.

• Thanks. Sorry for the downvote. Accidentally pressed on it while scrolling

• Personally one way to stop is drop ur friends for awhile I had a friend with a drinking problem I had drug problem and another one had a noz/duster problem we all slowly drifted apart. The drinker couldn't be around til she knew she could see a bottle and not be tempted to chug it all by herself. I had a drug issue meaning I took it all I literally left saying nothing til I knew I could go out and not pick up whatever drug or substance I was infront of no pressure I just liked being twisted. The noz head it took a car accident (no one was hurt ) for her to relax and then she too disappeared. Sometimes the company you keep adds to your vices. Or you can burn yourself out on it and you'll drop it without realizing it , I stopped cigarettes without realizing it. I don't know what exactly ur smoking but you can stop it'll just take time he should understand he'll probably want to help if he knew you were struggling with it.

• If you are lying to your boyfriend it shows you can't be yourself around him. That is what I would be questioning.

Tell him you still smoke at work blablah and if he doesn't like and you don't want to quit then the grudge will always be there! Either deal with it or move on. I don't smoke but i know if i did i wouldn't want a guy to change me for his benefit, only for health reasons because he cares. Sounds like his being pushy! Do you really want someone possessive in your life?

• I know that he only wants that for my own benefits. He hates seeing me smoke because it's bad for me. It all makes sense.

• Just the normal ideas. Gum, the patch and will power but be careful, In addition to your clothes and breath smelling, it comes out in your skin n pores too. I had a boyfriend who told me he quit but every time we got hot and heavy in the bedroom, I could smell the cigs coming off his skin. So just be careful with that.

• Definitely! You'll have to load up on perfume and instead of doing 15 minutes double it! I'm not sure about quitting as I have yet to.. good luck x

• there is nothing you can do to hide the smell, it comes out of your pores and sticks to your hair, no matter how much perfume you put on, people can still smell it, now you smell like you put on too much perfume and you reak of cigarette smoke.

• I know nothing about coffee I don't drink it, but I get what you're saying, I still stand behind it really depends on the person, majority yes, but some people smell better than others @Eric644

• i say, just start smoking vap pens or e cigs if you are worried about the smell, i quit smoking 6 years ago but i will smoke hookah or a vap pen once in a blue moon.

• Don't smoke behind his back if you said you'd quit. Does your family have a history of cancers? That can help you understand you have a chance of getting it too, if that's the case. Consider that you are with a man who doesn't smoke and with you anyway - please, don't lie to him because he could have chose someone who doesn't smoke. I quit for two weeks with a lot of support from friends and family and I also used the gum. The first 2 weeks was agony but I made it 2 years with a cigarette maybe 3 times total. Some things happened in my life and I lost my way but I got the gum again and it's waiting to be used but I'm not ready just yet. Oh, and set a date to begin the journey. How long have you been smoking?

• About 2 years, give or take

• I think there'd be almost no way to hide it from him long-term, he'd either smell it, find a pack, find a lighter etc.

• 100% he can smell it, you will stink. This is the main reason I quit, the smell was disgusting.

• Try going to rehab where they offer chumpicks, its not harmful and it really helps you to quit. I smoked for two years and i didn't touch a cigarette for four months now

• He probably could, smoke smells really strong.

• Yes, he can smell it on you.

• of course he still can smell it. smoking makes you smell disgusting 24/7. its very easy to detect smoke on someones breath.