Is saying 'I love you' harder for some than others, if so, why?

• Yes
  • No
Thanks all.

Most Helpful Guy

• Upbringing is what it's all about!

• Really, how so?

• When I was a kid, I never heard my parents say "I love you" to each other, or to any of their children. It was like an unwritten rule that it was a bad thing to do. For several years when I started dating, I had to force myself to express feelings to my girlfriends. It finally started to feel natural for me, but it was a humongous effort.

• Oh i see. Thanks for your time.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it depends on various things. Not all people put the same value into the words they utter.

What Guys Said 5

• Because its not a normal thing to say for everyone nor does any one want to say it unless they really mean it.

• Absolutely it is. Some people think the phrase I love you carries a lot of weight. Other people are just quote bad at showcasing their feelings.

• Ya. If you've been in long relationships with a painful ending you can be a little scarred.

• Yeah, even though I have been through stuff like that myself I forget how hard it is to move on. I guess it would be bad to grab him by the shoulders, shake him and say "you know you love me, just say it" lol

• Yeah it is. It depends on how you were raised and if your family ever shows affection towards each other or not.

• For guys yes.

What Girls Said 9

• I hardly say it to family members. I can't remember the last time I told either of my parents I love them. When a friend tells me they love me, I appreciate it and it fills me with happiness, but I still feel awkward about it all the same.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that saying I love you means something to me, but I'm selective of who I say it to and it takes me longer to be able to say it to some people than it does others. It doesn't mean my affection is any less for those people, but it's a very bold proclamation.

• Definitely so.

Some people say it in a week others a year.

The question of, is it really love, is a totally different question.

• I think I just have to be patient with it all.

• definitely. it depends on how much it means to the person.

• I find it really easy to say because I grew up saying it to everyone. Like I'd hug my friends goodbye and say love you. I think my boyfriend isn't use to it. We haven't been dating long and haven't said it. But once I was laying in his bed with my arms wrapped around my shoulders and he was like "what are you doing" and i said jokingly "I'm hugging myself because you don't love me" and he seemed to kinda panic and freeze a little.. but then cuddled up to me and asked if that was better

• Yeah my family was completely opposite so I find it difficult to say at first.

• I say "I love you" to a lot of people. to my mom, sisters, friends, my boyfriend (especially!!). but only to those people do I actually mean it. when it comes to my boyfriend, I can say that I love him with no doubt in my mind, and without hesitation. I say I love you to my sisters because I was there when they were born, and I had to basically take care of them myself when they were growing up...

• it just depends on how comfortable a person is with expressing their emotions. it can make them feel weak and vulnerable to do so.

• Yes. I have issues saying it even with my parents.

• It definitely is! I have a hard time saying "I love you" to my boyfriend because it's not something that is said a lot in my household growing up. It's just something that people have an easier time saying than other's. Some families are very expressive and close so for them it's easy. It\s a very natural thing. However for other people it can be a very nerve-wracking experience.

I told my boyfriend this morning that I loved him, and it was very scary for me. But I'm glad I did it. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I've been wanting to say it for so long and I feel like now I can get closer to him now. I think it's scary for me because whenever I have said it in the past, the guys I was with had very negative reactions to it.

• Of course! It depends on how you were raised, whether you've said "I love you" to someone before, and so many more things.