Is it shallow of me to not date a guy on the simple factor that he uses tobacco?

My friend told me it was.. if a guy smokes ir anything like that, regardless of how great he is, i will not date him.. I lose any interest

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I am Never crazy in love with Any guy who smokes and chokes but I will Give him a shot, even if it ends up to Be... A shot in the dark.
    However, never mind what is in between his lips, it's what is in his heart from the start and what kind of man he turns out to be, that is the Real deal Brand of guy who is right for me in a relationship.
    However, it's your choice, your call and all, just what you want for you.
    Good luck. xx

What Guys Said 28

• No, it's perfectly reasonable for tobacco use to be a deal-breaker. It's not like hair color or skin tone -- having a partner who uses tobacco has a big effect on your life. Tobacco users age prematurely and die early of emphysema if they manage to avoid cancer. That really good looking 20-something guy who smokes a pack a day will look like a used-up old man by 50. It happened to my mother -- beautiful at 25, but by 45 she had ruined her teeth and complexion.

• I don't think that is shallow. A girl smoking is such a turn off for me. I am not sure if I would be able to date a girl that smoked or not.

• Their habit is part of their lifestyle, if this violates your principles, then you shouldn't stand for it.

• Of course it is not shallow. That is your standard. Using tobacco is a huge turn off for both guys and girls.

• No, it's not shallow of you. No one should be forced to date someone who smokes
    like a steam engine or uses any kind of tobacco that makes you uncomfortable

• Smoking definitely is a dealbreaker. Not only does it smell disgusting, but also is quite telling about someones personality.

• No not something like that. That's not really a cosmetic thing which I guess would be shallow. But if you don't smoke and don't want to smoke, why would you, or should you have that in your life?

I would never date a girl who smokes

• No I do the same with girls.

• Nah. I've made an OkCupid many times, and I try many different approaches, but one thing I always do is put a maximum height (for the girl I'm looking for), and another thing is check non smoker.

• Ummm, no, it just happens to be one of your deal breakers, and nothing wrong with having a deal breaker.

• No its not shallow. I wouldn't date anyone do amoke and drinks cuz i prefer sumone with a healthy lifestylez as i.

• No, smoking is so disgusting to me, that even if I find a girl attractive I lose all interest the moment she pops a cigarette into her mouth. It's just not my thing, like it's just not your thing. It's not shallow.

• No, I understand. I would have a hard time too.

• If it is, I'm shallow too. I'd never date a girl who uses tobacco. It's a filthy disgusting habit.

• No. I have pretty much the same rule. Some things are no fly zones.

• Not shallow, smoking is a turn off for many people, including myself, sex appeal is instantly loss if they smoke, you're not alone!

• Not shallow at all. It's called a deal breaker. And a reasonable one at that

• No, that's just your standards and it's justifiable, especially when you're kissing. I would be unable to date a girl that smokes.

• No. It's not. I discriminate against women who dye their hair... Everyone has certain requirements from their potential dates

• I wouldn't consider that shall as I would petty.

• Not shallow. I'm the same way. If you smoke, No interest from me.

• no you have your things you can't stand; it's not your fault. i would never date a girl that has bad breath that's just something i can't stand

• ask him if he's willing to quit.

• ask him simple that if he can leave it... might be you become a reason for him to leave a bad habbit

• No. Don't settle for any less. You deserve the best.

• It's perfect I wouldn't date girl who smokes too. Simply - NO WAY!

• Hell no, I used to be a chain smoker and I know how disgusting that shit is, it's bullshit to say it's a lifestyle choice when you're killing yourself, it's ok to want a boyfriend than a soon to be dead boyfriend

• No , you just choose not to date a smoker, I won't date a smoker either, it's kind of a turn off and not easy to deal with their habit

What Girls Said 14

• No not shallow... I wouldn't date a drug addict, more extreme but still the same thing. I think men who smoke don't value their health enough and that is a big no no for me. It's not a bad thing to have expectations and standards. I know plenty of people who are far pickier!

• No, that's a legit standard. I wouldn't consider it shallow either, it affects you directly---both the second hand smoke and if the relationship gets serious, the health consequences that it likely could have on his health. Smoking is a risk factor for so many things. I would be wary dating a smoker too. Or any substance abuser actually.

• Not at all. Smoking/tobacco use and any drug use (aside from caffeine and alcohol) is a deal breaker to me. It's not shallow. If you're not a smoker, it's absolutely fair to expect your partner to be a non-smoker as well.

• No it's not shallow. Lots of people won't date smokers. That's ok. You don't have to put up with thr smell and taste if you don't want to.

• Nope that's not shallow that's what you like (me too). Just like I wouldn't have given a guy a second chance if all he ate was sardines and never brushed his teef!!! = ]

• Yeah I wouldn't date a guy who does drugs or is alcoholic. I'm not against it like you can do It from time to time but a daily routine that's a turn off 🙅🏼

• Ugh... I hate tobacco... I would never date a guy who smoked or spit.

• Not at all I wouldn't date anyone that smokes either.

• Not shallow, it's just what you want.

• Not shallow. I'm the same! I think it's disgusting

• are you against weed too?

• If the guy is a stoler then I won't date him, but in general, no im not against weed

• No, I agree with you. That's a huge dealbreaker.

• Not entirely, unless they're trying to quit.

• It's not shallow. That's a life style he chose and if you don't like it you have every right to not be interested. Maybe your friend doesn't mind but it doesn't mean you shouldn't mind either. I am not a smoker and would never go out with a smoker. I find it disgusting.