When a guy says he loves you, does it become official?

I've been seeing this guy for about 5 months now. I like him a lot. Problem is we are from different religions. Anyway he recently said 'Love you' and I said I do too. Does that mean we are official? We were going to stop seeing each other over the religion issue, but decided we didn't want to stop.

Most Helpful Guy

• Religion has killed millions of people, animals, culture, art and even whole countries. Don't let it ruin one more thing.

Most Helpful Girl

• Saying I love you doesn't make anything official. My boyfriend and I have been together since January and haven't said I love you but we have had the exclusive talk. I would definitely have that talk with him as that's most important to know you're on the same page. Because technically those three little words are just words... do his actions support his verbal love for you? Thats why with my boyfriend we may not have said it yet but we show love for each other through action.
    As for religion, love has no boundaries. If you have respect for one another's beliefs, then who cares... and who cares what anyone else thinks either... good luck to yo uh!

What Guys Said 15

• Saying I "love you" does not make it official. If you guys want to make it official then you need to sit down and have a long talk about it and define the relationship (DTR) and if your religion is important to you then you need to talk to him about that because it will cause a lot of fight that is something that need to be worked out before you make it official

• It depends. I once had a girl tell me she 'loved' me 2 hours after we started dating. That was kind of weird.

But if he says he loves you 6 weeks into dating for instance, I think it's fair to say it is official & genuine. It depends how you interpret though.

• It's not official until it's been posted in the wedding column.

• The phrase "I love you" only means anything if you really mean it. Like genuinely, it doesn't make anything official, you become official when you decide to be, it's up to you as a couple to decide you are together for the world to see or not. Three words makes absolutely no difference

• If you guys really love each other, you can work it out. "Official" is a strange way of putting it. If you want to keep seeing each other you will, regardless of what was said. If you both meant what you said, it can keep you together.

• "Does that mean we are official? "

No, you have to sit down and say we are together now.
    I would do that.

Some people don't do that.

• It doesn't necessary mean you guys are official, but I would talk to him and figure out if you two are officially dating or not. Love ain't got no religion!

• Is religion really that important to you?

• It muddies up the situation

• Lol have u banged yet? if not, then no. if yes, then maybe.

• It seems unlike that either of you would fuck other people now.

• I've said i love you to my parents
    incest?

• what is you're religion and his

• Yes , all official now.

• I love you, too.

What Girls Said 12

• Did he ask you to be his girlfriend, yet?
    I don't think you are official just by saying ILU to each other..
    If he really want you to be his girlfriend, I think the most appropriate way to do it is by ask you nicely and DIRECTLY..

But I don't think you must date someone who have different religion..
    Have you ever talk about it to your parent?
    Are they okay with it?

• if you guys are saying i love you i am sure you can have a mature conversation about "what you two are" as for the different religions it does not have to be a problem unless you make it one. just respect each others religions there are millions of things you guys can talk about. Religion does not have to be one of them.

• It probably is. But better to ask him what it means.

• Normally guys say it really fast like in the first couple weeks and it's BS. But he's waited 5 months so it actually sounds sincere in this case, fortunately for you. It's a good thing if people in a relationship wait and be sincere. Like "say it when you mean it and when you feel it." Good for you. That's a good thing! 😊

• Well if he waited 5 months then it definitely means he really means it. Nowadays people just say it within a week or two.

• Yes if he's the type of guy who normally would never say cheesy things like that. I say cheesy because I never say I love you to anyone XDD

• It definitely does not make it official, but it does open the door for you to start a conversation to get a clearer idea of what you are to each other.

• Saying "I love you" doesn't mean much unless you feel in oozing out of your every pore.

• Not necessarily, Sometimes you just have to be upfront and ask "what are we?"

• What exactly is your definition of official and how old are you?

• That's extremely tough on the whole religion especially if both of you feel strongly about your religions, that might cause more issues down the road. And has he asked you out yet? That's when it's official although if he said that he loves you that's kind of official too.

• saying " I Love You" doesn't make anything official. Even if you mean it. I Love you solidifies the relationship. You guys need to define the relationship and if you're already saying I Love You then I'm assuming that you can have a mature conversation like that.
    As for different religions... my boyfriend is satanist (no joke, he's been practicing actively for over 3 years) and I was raised strict Christian. I love him and accept his religious values and he accepts mine. We don't try to force anything on each other and it works great.