How can I stop my girlfriend from smoking. I keep telling her it's not good but she is not listening. What can I do?

I don't like when she smokes and thta is my big pet peeve. I never get mad and am a nice person but when she smokes and we're together i leave the area. She gets mad and says why i leave her alone. I tried yelling at her one time but that didn't help, she just smokes more. I tell her she could spend her money on other things but she doesn't want to listen. She started smoking about 3 months ago and i'm not a fan at all.

She gets all moody when i start to talk to her about smoking so now i just walk away if she does smoke.

What other things can i do? I truly am worried for her health.

Anyone else?

Most Helpful Guy

• You have to respect that ultimatley it's her choice. You can be there to help he if she decides to quit, but you can't make her do it, and trying will only piss her off.

You are obviously well within your rights however to step out of the room every time she lights up, and not allow it in your space, you should put your health first.

In the long run though... if she started knowing you dont like it, and you have been pretty adimant from the start that she should stop, she's going to keep going regardless of what you do.
    Best option talk it through with her. Ask why she's smoking. Raise your health concerns for her and yourself. Don't giver her an ultimatum, just lay down clearly what you will do when she smokes, where/when she will be allowed to smoke at your place and ask her if she will meet you half way and not smoke in certain times or places (such as in bed). If she won't meet you half way when you ask politelty without blame, then the relationships pretty much dead.

• well i mean i don't want her to continue doing it. It's not goof for her regardless. When i want to speak to her about it, she walks off

• So go softly for a bit. Dont push, and try in a few weeks.

• maybe, i'll give her some time

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• I know how you feel about her health but in the end you can't stop her from smoking. It has to be her choice to stop. If it is such a big deal for you the only thing you can do is to dump her. I know this might not seem a nice thing to do but at the end of the day she has to want to give up smoking.

• That is because she knows it is bad, she knows you don't like it and she may even feel she is turning you off but she is addicted. She can't stop smoking because she is addicted and when you say something feels kind of hurt.

• You've got to remember that smoking isn't very damaging unless it is an excessive amount or over a long period of time. She's fine if she's only be smoking for 3 months. It's also her body and her choice if she wants to smoke or not. Really the only thing you can do is be honest with her and tell her what you think in full and let her decide what she wants to do from there.

• She might be getting this pressure from other people and that could be making her want to smoke more as an escape. Stressing her out isn't going to help with making her quit. Give her a little time before trying to confront her about it again.

• maybe, i'll give her some time

• I dated a smoker way back in the day. I just told her I wasn't going to kiss her after she smoked. She stopped pretty quick

• i guess i could use that and say that