Are there a lot of people who go through life without ever dating?

Is it more common in one gender? Why does it happen? What's the biggest reason?

• Yes for both genders
  • Yes for males
  • Yes for females
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Are there a lot of people who go through life without ever dating?
    It depends on the age group. The older you go the less common it is. In my age group its extremely uncommon especially if you exclude groups like the disabled community.

I'm 27 and I haven't ever dated. I think the percentage is similar among women and men, its just men complain about it more. I think they complain more because they suffer more from sexual frustration and getting laid and they lash out whereas if a girl has never dated she's usually thinking about loneliness and wondering if she's not pretty enough and more quieter about it, or its simply their choice to never date.

Why does it happen? What's the biggest reason?
    Biggest 5
    1. Social awkwardness
    2. Not having enough positive social interactions with preferred gender (this person either doesn't get out much or doesn't interact with enough potential love interests)
    3. Standards too high
    4. Choice
    5. Looks/Hygiene

For me its 1, 2, and possibly even 3.

Most Helpful Guy

• As a percentage, I'd say it's pretty low. Probably less than one percent. But one percent of 6 billion people is still a lot of people.

I've never seen statistics on it, and I randomly picked one percent. However, depending on the country, around 90-97% of the population get married. You have to assume that a much larger percentage than that date during their life. Of the ones who never marry, a large percentage are by choice. Or they dated but just never found anyone they wanted to marry. So the number who never ever dated has to be pretty darn low.

• I am from india and i can say here many people i dont know statistically but get arranged married before getting marry there are many guy/gal who have never dated.

What Girls Said 15

• Yes, but it's usually mostly guys who suffer from this from my experience. They're often shy and awkward, and most girls wouldn't give these guys a passing glance. Shame.

• @RandomUsername3464 it's clearly because she is an intellectual, both logical/rational AND a programmer

• @RandomUsername3464 but you know she probably ignores them too

• Hey, I only started this year. Unfortunately, I think majority of females and males, have a sort of "image" stuck with them on what a attractive guy/girl looks like to them, and completely forget that "the prettier the more chance of being rotten", lol.

I didn't date because I chose not too. I can't tolerate the majority of people my own age, so... Yeah, it's tough.

• Are there people? Yes. How many? I have no clue. I think another question to ask is "is it by choice?" Some people don't date by choice. I doubt one gender has a harder time then others. Social awkwardness, shyness, obesity, poor self-esteem, and projected self hate. I doubt being asexual has anything to do with a lack of dating.

• I'd be 500 grand the majority are male.

• @Roostah I hope you have 500 grand on hand.

• in a way it may be true that majority would be male, considering the male:female ratio of a population. but yeah, that's gotta be country specific.

but yea, it's nature + nurture + cultural setting that determines dating choices.

• yes they do!

• I'm 21 so, I'm not super old yet but, I just have no clue how I should talk to guys. I used dating sites for two years but, I have never actually been taken on a date. The ones that say they're going to take me on a date always stand me up. There could be something I'm saying or doing wrong because I know girls who get dates in a heartbeat and end up in relationships.

• Me... but then I'm 14, so... yeah

• I have never dated

• I'm a 24 y/o female and have never dated, but it's not by choice, but because guy don't ask me out. I'm not sure if it's more common in one gender than it is in the other gender though.

• i am 19 i also never dated any girl before and yes there a lot guys who dont date girl not by choice but they get less attention from girls.

• Im 18 years old. No guy that I have found attractive has ever asked me out to a date.

• I think it has to come down to how out of touch with reality people around the world are. I mean we spent most of our time on devices. and when we interact with people its to shame people for their human or biological instincts I. e telling someone they must find someone attractive or consider this person as this. People cannot handle the real world and talk problems. And dating is apart of the real world , but simple things Like this can terrify people. But you also ha e the socially awkward people and those no seen as attractive by society. Its very possible in both genders

• Im included on the percentage who had never ever really dated anyoen, or even seeing someone and I can consider myself to be friendly, pretty and easy going. Guys do not even ask me out. or do not even try to ask me out at all. I think I be remain like this for the rest of my life and it is something in one part I dont like. WHy other people can score dates so easily and they are more difficulto to handle with and I can't even get a guy to aks me out not even for coffeee, it has never happened to me at former workplaces, technical institute, anywhhere guys approach me, to ask me out. This year I thought my bad luck was finaly over when I met a guy in April during a family trip. I was very happy because wow finally there was a chance for me to hang out with guy who was around my age, single like me, share similar interests, seems he was attracted to me,. I thought Ohh after all these years, but then everything went down the gutter back at the end of July,

• What happened?

• @sjoes006 Neither one. I have never been married and I have never really dated in my life.

• @sjoes006 I had never been married in my life or reallyu dating dating or even hang out with boys on an often basis

• Yes, for both it is possible. I don't know if it's common more in one or the other, though.

My uncle who is in his 50s has never dated. He just doesn't want to, he's content going to work and taking care of his pets and home by himself.

A friend I used to work with was in her 30s, she never dated. She went on to become a nun because she felt that's what she really wanted to do.

• Damn, that's respectable, if it's by choice.

• I agree, although I am unsure of my uncle's reasons. But he's happy, so that's what counts. :)

• Never been on a date in my life... And I am 28.

• I've known a few of both genders. Social awkwardness and/or obesity tend to be a common factor. Sometimes, I've suspected repressed homosexuality, as well. But it's possibly asexuality - since I don't know how the people feel.

For the most part, even the strangest and fattest people I've known eventually meet their match.

• What about introverts?

• I'm going to be one of those people 😕😕😕

• Why?

• I really sympathise for girls who don't get any attention from guys. That must be horrible.

• Yeah :/

What Guys Said 23

• Yes also.
    FUN FACT.
    unrealfacts.com/.../isaac-newton-died-virgin.jpg

Just call me factoid.

• I would have to say it's more common with males, considering lack of confidence and self-esteem issues. As time continues to go by they lose the will to put themselves out there and take a risk with a girl they like. I understand that girls go through this as well but men are expected to make the first move and unless you have a really great personality or are fairly attractive you won't get that many girls approaching you because they're interested in you. Then excuses start to flourish concerning the nice guys finish last theory, and other junk like that, little by little diminishing any confidence that a guy has left, judgement gets clouded and you lose all enthusiasm to put yourself out there. Anyway yeah i think guys have it harder but hey that's just my opinion.

• Yes but at least guys are expected to make the first move. girls may feel under pressure not to and some girls don't get much attention from guys.

• Hummm... I do know one guy who is in his 40's, and for all I know he has never dated. He is in the same profession in the medical industry as I am, has fairly decent social skills, and is involved in sports. He does have a woman friend who he has tried dating. They are both somewhat "nerd" I hate to say. LOL... I heard that they did have sex once, which I think was good since I think they "needed to get it out of their system". So it is interesting to see the scope of people out there. Some put a higher priority on dating than others.

• In order to date, you have to participate in dating.

You don't just magically end up on a date without having at least said "yes" to an advance, or created an advance to which someone else said "yes"...

• Yes, everyone knows that. But it's initiating that advance which is the hard part.

• And that is why they end up in life without ever dating! :P

• Yes but mostly guys. We refer to them as FOREVER ALONERS.

• 0|0
  • How is that possible

• I've never dated, kissed, or had sex, and I am almost 24 now. I have had multiple chances, I didn't want to do it. I feel sorry for the people that never had any chances.

• Why haven't you taken your chances? I'm sure everyone has chances.

• Why not?

• ... because I didn't want to, and the past is the past. Is there a way to delete your posts? I'd rather not have to answer these weird questions, and I shouldn't have made the post to begin with.

• I would guess it's more common among guys. I've never had a date yet and I wouldn't be surprised if I never had one to be honest.

• It's a minority but among Earth's teeming billions it still has to be a large number. Especially considering that some people identify as asexual.

• I'm one of them, 24 years never been on a date or done anything romantic with a woman. I've gotten used to being alone, and I don't go outside much tbh

• Is that you in the profile pic? If so, I'm surprised. You look like a guy who could easily get a girlfriend.

• yes me too but i am 19 ... i am also aloner and dont go outside all boys in my group... my way is if girl likes me she will come to me why i should go to get embarrass myself if any girl says no

• I'm guessing both. I know I have so far...

• So far I'm one of them people.

• 7 years and counting since my last date.

• That's still 1 date, doesn't count lol.

• Yes it's worse and I asked her out and she said yes. I keep getting rejected haha.

• According to statistics, if you ask out 100 girls one will say yes.

• lots of reason.

• Up until now for me I've never been on a date only recently have I started thinking about it. I have been to engrossed in other things!

• I'm in my mid 20's and I've never had a girlfriend, never kissed a girl, and I'm a virgin

• I've dated and am not a virgin but still haven't been in a relationship. It's not that no one wanted me. It's just the ones into me I wasn't into and vice versa. Does that count?

• Yes. That counts.

• What I mean is does it still count as having dated?

• Yes, unfortunately :(

• Just turned 40 and never dated and realizing how much that bothers me
    extremely: shy, insecure, social anxiety, low self esteem
    also overweight and have a dead end job

• I think males. A smaller percentage of men see a larger number of women. In aggregate, men and women probably have the same number of dates over time, but the distribution is more screwed among males and more even among females.

• Yeah, they tend to be losers, loners, or social misfits of some kind. Surprising number of them too. A lot of maladjusted people out there.

• I'm 26 and have never been on a date. And yes, still a virgin.