Hypothetically speaking, what would you do if?

A hypothetical question that applies to both you guys and gals. OK here goes the question. Let's say you were as old as I am now, 51. Now let's assume that you found yourself falling real hard for someone 18 or worse 17. What would you do?

Most Helpful Girl

• I would put myself into a mental institution and claim insanity.

• Outside of the mental institution how would you handle it?

• Nah... if that thought even crossed my mind I would go put myself in a mental institution. Nope.

• But what makes you think feel differences are a cause for a mental diagnoses?

Most Helpful Guy

• Regardless of what my profile says, I'm older than you. If you fall for someone you fall for them. (Can I assume this is online and not in person?) Can't really help it sometimes. It just happens.

However I'd like to think I was disciplined enough not to act on it, or even say anything to her. I'd like to think that I cared enough about her to not want to take her youth from her. Because even if she were receptive to it, that's what it would be doing. Life is too precious. All the stages of life. She needs to be given the chance to live through those stages. Someone in their 50s would not really allow for that. It would be too lopsided and unfair to her. It would be taking something away. Something that's important. Sometimes caring for someone means letting them go.

• What you said here raises a very good point which I'll make the topic of my next question later on today. I respect our opinion, however what about young men? Nobody seems to care about them, and what I mean is they don't get the same consideration when it is demanded for them to sign up for selective service and possibly be drafted into a war and be sent off to die. Wouldn't that be much worse than skipping a few steps in life to be with someone that actually cared?

• I was the last year to sign up for Vietnam era draft. It sucked bad taking away young men in the prime of their life and sending them off to war. It sucked BAD. The guys who went weren't even old to vote for the people who sent them off to war.

But one wrong can't justify another.

She has to have a chance at a more normal life. It really is taking something from her. If she was 30 and had no success with men, then maybe it can be justified because she's given it a fair shot. But at 18 she hasn't even started in life. She has to be given a chance to find someone closer to her age.

With someone over 50 she'd be joining his already established life. She'd miss buying her first set of dishes, her first chair, her first apartment. He's thinking about retirement. While she hasn't even taken her first step in adult life yet. Could they even truly make joint decisions about life, as a couple? Or would he be making all the decisions because he has vastly more experience?

• I've been there. I've already thought about all this. It wasn't quite as much age difference, but close enough to understand it. What would you think when you're out driving on a Friday night and she sees a group of kids her age, out having fun and partying, and doing all the immature stuff that youth do? Will you see it on her face when she wishes she could join them and be part of them? But instead she's with an old guy who's out of energy and wants to get home to his favorite chair. Would you join her in hanging out with a bunch of kids just out of high school?

She'll walk through the mall and see all the kids her age. And she'll see what's missing in her life. And you'll see it too. Will you feel guilty?

What Girls Said 5

• Wow. Geez. I would hate myself probably. And i'd do my best to forget about it and let it go. If that's not possible, then i'd probably see a therapist. Cause that's insane.

• Do you honestly feel age difference reaches a level of insanity or just a figure of speech?

• Depends on the age difference. In this case, 30 year difference sounds insane to me..

• No fucking way, that is disgusting. I would never fall for a guy that age, and if I did I would not act on it.

• I wouldn't do anything. I would definitely not date him if that's what you're asking...

• Not my thing, personally. I've dated a lot of much older guys though. If someone's legal, then I really don't see a problem with it. I think 18 is slightly too young but if it were say someone in their 20s then no problem, go for it.

• I would cut off contact if I had to.

What Guys Said 3

• I would slap myself and go do something else. That's not cool.

• I have a huge age thing going on, so I am not sure that something I would do. But I take it you are doing this?

• Yeah I guess it happens once in a very rare blue moon, maybe a little bit yes. But I have extremely good resistance to temptation let me put it that way. I developed that basically by missing all the opportunities normal people get lol.

• I will share my own experiences. Have had girlfriend 5 years older, one my age, two 15 years younger (including current gf), one 7 years younger, one 7 years older. Everything worked out in the sense that the age difference was never an issue. But when I met this woman more than half my age (she was 21) the whole word was against us from the start and we both just gave up.

• Yeah that seems unfair. so do feel society puts too much emphases on age differences?

• I have to agree men get a bad rap for our natural design and your right it's women mostly that chastise men for age differences. I also would agree that most women do not age gracefully and feel very threatened by a mans attraction to younger women in a major way, so they have manipulated society into thinking it's wrong.

• Nail on head. by the way She is with this dorky guy her own age now and they make a really cute couple. So all is not lost. But society can suck sometimes.