Do you think it's a big deal for a guy to lie about his age?

I've been seeing a guy and found out he lied about his age the whole time I've known him. It's not a big deal - he said he's 33 and he's really 32. I don't care about his age, especially 1 year off, but my problem is the dishonesty. What is the point of lying about something like that? ?
Leads me to wonder what else he lies about. How would you handle it? Am I overreacting?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not sure why he would lie about his age, the only thing I would be wary of is, why lie about such a small thing, which might lead me to believe what else are you not being honest about, not unlike what you said initially.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, it could be that he is insecure about his age. Maybe he thinks he's too old to be dating you?

Guys can be insecure about things too. I would just tell him you don't care about his age that you love him. I'm sure he will be happy to hear that :)

I think you are overreacting. It's a small lie. I would just tell him that you don't care about his age but you also don't want him lying to you. Hopefully he will listen.

I would let this slide, lots of people lie about their age. I would be more worried if he is lying about other things.

What Guys Said 15

• No, it's never okay to lie, it's never ever okay to lie to a woman. No, you are not overreacting, I think you are just wondering. That's okay, I know women really value honesty, so it was not right on his part. However I am sure he would have his reasons, did you try to ask him? Yes you are right, once a person lies to you, you then begin to suspect everything about that person. A doubt comes in your mind and you will think at least 3 times before you can believe him. Lying breaks trust. Hence I would say you are not overreacting.

• You're not overreacting. Small lies will turn into bigger ones. If he can't be honest about his age, then how are you going to trust him when it comes to bigger issues? Not a good start.

If I was in their shoes, I'd probably not give them a chance. I have trust issues so that one little lie right there would be stuck in the back of my head for a long time. I'd question every answer she gave me. Not worth the frustration and uncertainty.

• I ask the same thing for some young ladies because this society we living in today TBH I can't tell females ages no more these young ones look like they developing at a early age and now a days its tough telling believe it or not I seen young ones looking like there in there 18-20 years old and if you ask them there age and they lie about it you will somehow believe them and if a women likes a guy older then her she will lie about her age its a proven fact because it happens a lot my question is why do the young ladies like older men why not stay in a young ladies place and live life and stay on there age range not throwing shots at no one just curious.

• Maybe he mispoke? To be honest, I don't know how old I am. I could guess (hmmm, what month is it, is it before or after my birth month/day on this year...).

As a matter of fact I'm virtually positive I've told people the wrong age (by a year) on occasion. So, I'd say you are totally overreacting. This (to many people) is no different than someone saying it is October 19th when it is actually October 20th.

• I understand what you're saying, but he didn't misspeak. It has come up several times, especially with him and I saying we're one year apart and now I find out it's really 2.

• Lol, well I'm glad it's not just me thinking that. Coincidentally, we have the same birthday! So definitely not that issue.
      And yes, I know for a fact that part is true and not a lie ;)

• In that case it is behavior so strange as to be beyond my ken. y'all could always ask him, and see what he says. Better to be open and figure this out, then to run into trouble later.

• well the difference doesn´t really matter. the fact that he had to lie about such a little thing is a huge red flag in my opinion though.

• I completely agree. .. my biggest thing is, WHY? Why would someone lie about something like that?

• my guess would be compulsive lying. it´s a phsychological condition. it makes no sense otherwise. if someone would lie about that, he´d make himself a bunch of years younger or older. 1 year makes no sense at all.

• A small lie may seem harmless but he lies that easily about something so irrelevant, imagine when he screws up big time.

• I agree, that is pretty pointless and confusing. But I don't think I'd dwell on it.

• Yea you definitely are over reacting, My birthday is in January next year and I am turning 18 but when people ask me I tell em I am 18 because I really am more 18 now than 17 since 3 montjs

• Men have to lie to get women. But I must admit that was a dumb one. He feels like age is a factor, and tried to play it safe by giving a number that is wrong but still sort of acceptable if found out. But yip it's a bit of a fail.

• I lie about my age ^^

• It just means he is 32 years and a couple months old. And yeah you are overreacting.

• Who cares because everybody lies all the time. Try getting pissed off when it's something important

• Well your definitely overreacting but not too far of from normal i think you should confromt him on why he would lie about something as simple as that besides if he is lying bout that who knows what else he could be hiding

• Why did he lie do you think?

• in real, well, i am still in univ, so i obviously can't lie lol, but on the internet, i have on several occasions claimed to be 25-30 (yeah, i look older with facial hair ;) ) even though i am 19 simply so i can Skype older women and have fun, it is sad and pathetic but well, thats me

What Girls Said 3

• Well if he's lying about such trivial matters then what makes you think he won't lie about something even bigger.

• I don't like lying.

It will be a big deal if he turned out to be younger than me. Otherwise, I might let it go.

• I thought he was a year younger than me, turns out it's 2. Not a big deal - but it's lying.

• Maybe his birthday is coming up so he's just saying he's 33 already