Ladies: what type of career/job does a man have to have for you to date/marry him?

BE HONEST!

• professional (doctor, lawyer, executive, engineer, etc etc)
  • manual labor (construction, farm hands, maintenance, etc)
  • hospitality (hotels, restaurants/bars, etc)
  • artistic (musician, painter, etc) or entertainer
  • I don't care as long as he makes lots of money.
  • I don't care at all.
  • other OR I'm a man.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't care at all. It doesn't matter to me.
    Well, actually... if he's like a hunter or something else that has to do with animal killing/harming, I won't date him. That's an exception.
    Oh and I prolly won't date a porn star or an escort either.
    Pretty much everything else is fine.

What Guys Said 13

• As long as the dude is self sufficient financially, most women don't care about the occupation if she likes him.

• sadly, that's not true. most care in some way or other. I put the "as long as he makes lots of money" as a joke. many don't care about how much money as long as they can remain stable, but many care a lot about how prestigious their man's job is. how much they can brag about what he does.

• bahaha, what a crock of shit, those 15 females that voted they don't care really actually do care, we all know women would chose to marry a doctor over the manager of potbelly's any day

• And you like jerking off to pictures of your dad in the shower... we can all claim shit that isn't true, doesn't make us right.

• @idkwtftoputhere There's a lot of truth to your statement if you omit the words "thinks he" and "so shocking"

• Nah, then that statement would turn to shit. A load of lying shit.

• Women = golddiggers

• You = Single

• @tenderfantasy bye bye. I don't allow small minded ignorant individuals to come on my post.

• @TenderFantasy @thewanderingme... hey.. cats stop fighting!

• I think most people just want their partner to be self-sustaining so that their partner doesn't have to rely on them financially.

And there are the women who are "traditional" and treat men like a walking wallet.

• traditional women treat men like walking wallets?

and here I always thought traditional (white) women simply wanted to stay home with the kids and cook and clean all day.

• @CountVronsky bah. Those "feminists" are not as proud of their autonomy that they'd actually go along with their "independence", then.

• That's the way it is. They may pursue their careers, but they'll make sure to marry someone who earns twice as them.

• So much for the stereotype "women want money", most of the women who have voted don't care what their man does, so the next time a man blasts women for being all about money, I'll make sure to post a link to this poll.

• laugh out loud.

• That temper, ha ha! Call me a peasant and all you like, but your vocabulary reveals TRUE IGNORANCE.

• Yet you keep on proving my point! This is amazing!

• I would guess most girls would want a guy that provides them with a middle class lifestyle by the time he is in his 30's

• its an anonymous poll, women have to stop lying about this stuff, it doesn't make you shallow or a gold digger if you wouldn't date a guy, who worked washing cars his whole life...

• Hey... making it anonymous they actually SHOULD be more honest... less reprimanding or revealing/embarrasing... so this may actually be a truthful little survey here that gives away that not all women are money hungry whores! ;-) And for the win.. it's the WOMEN this time! :-)

• @TenderFantasy I think, its dishonest to say, a woman doesn't care at all about a mans profession while dating.
      i think a woman would be less inclined to date a garbage man as opposed to other professions.
      also a lot of these girls are 16-22, years old. so money isn't the biggest issue for them.

• Well it's not the Military. Divorce rates are high in there. The charm of a uniform wears off at about 4yrs.

• yea, I actually meant to put people in protection type jobs too, such as military, cops, etc

• It's a tough job on families. Deployments, field training, you spend a lot of time away from your family. Sometimes the men aren't perfect either, drinking problems, cheating, etc. I've seen some of the best wives in the military. If you have a woman who can be with you in that job you've found a keeper.

• Gold diggers exposed. Gotta love this poll.

• I bet most will say someone who pays their own bills is fine

• I'm a professional & I like to marry a professional too.

• I always find it interesting how women respond in questions and polls like this one. Most of them say it doesn't matter. In real life though, they show time after time that a man's job and his income matter a great deal, and studies bear that out with no room for argument. Show a woman a picture of an average looking man and ask her to rate him on his appearance and he will get 3 - 5. Include a six-figure salary and/or a profession like lawyer or doctor on the very same picture and her rating of his appearance suddenly jumps to a 7 - 9.

So why do women play this dishonest game rather than just being honest?

• Wouldn't it depend on not only how much the girl is making, but also how many kids they want, where they want to live, how many cars they'll have, all that stuff that goes in to marriage?

What Girls Said 27

• If he's doing something that he gets paid for then that's good enough!

My dad is a blue collar worker. He's worked his whole life on the kill floor of a slaughterhouse. And that's honorable to me. My boyfriend has ambitions to be a lawyer but he would also really love to teach and there's a fairly large difference in pay grade between a teacher and a lawyer and whatever he chooses is good for me. I've always been taught that I need to make enough to provide for myself and whatever he makes is just an added bonus. So it doesn't matter. He should pursue his passion.

• I don't particularly care as long as he makes enough money to self-sustain and potentially be a provider for our future family if things get serious. It's also nice to have a guy who makes enough money to where we can decide we're going on a random weekend trip.

• I take random weekend trips, and I don't make much money. when it comes to vacationing/travelling it really depends what you're looking for, whether the transportation and accommodations are more important than the overall experience controls a lot, in terms of expense.

• I think it's silly to decide who you want to be with based off of the profession they've chosen within reason so long as they're not dealing drugs or pimping out children or something.

• I really don't care what his job is, as long as he's happy and our combined incomes are enough to support a family. If I'm a world renowned surgeon and he loves being a construction worker, then I'm happy.

• i actually dont care at all, as long as he's financially stable enough to help provide for a family. for me, financially stable enough would probably be anything around the $55,000 and over mark. i dont think I'm asking for that much tbh, since that would be combined with my wage.

• 55,000 joint, or just his income?

• I didn't mean working hard literally, I just meant degree wise and the proper education for the proper job. Having said that, there are many competitions out there in US, even if you do get the proper degree for it. Most of my cousins lives in US and Germany and they tell me that all the time, how hard it is there, but it also depends on where you live. An LPN in US is not the same thing as an LPN here in Canada. In US an LPN is restricted to only an LPN duties, but in Canada, an LPN can do an RN's duties provided they have the proper education for it, but I don't really do it because there isn't much of a pay grade for it; waste of time and they be expecting you to know.

• I don't know bout the asker but i still count that as working hard. getting a degree isn't easy. people around me keep failing units and changing courses.
      i acknowledge the effort u put in mate! @i_am_repulsive

• I don't care but I can't deny I would love to marry someone who loves artistic stuff as much as I do.

• tbh i don't care at all

• I chose "other" because I only care that he enjoys his job. If he has a high paying job that he hates, that sucks. No one should have to dread most of their days. And frankly, I don't want to listen to him complain about his job all the time. If he's only temporarily in that job, and he's working toward getting a job he does love, that's fine and he can totally complain. But if he chose being a doctor as a career, and he hates it but has no intention of switching, that's a huge turn-off.

There's something appealing about almost every type of job. Something interesting, something admirable, something impressive. You just have to choose to see it, regardless of society's general opinion.

• someone else pointed out "enjoying hour job" isn't always possible, especially in our current economy. I have to agree with that guy. it's more important that you're able to take care of yourself and family and if you do hate your job, at least be able to leave that at the job and be in good spirits when you get home.

• I said that it's fine if he's currently in a job he hates but is aiming for one he's happy with. It's choosing and aiming to maintain a miserable career that's a problem. To me, it’s important that he doesn’t need to suppress his misery from the majority of the day in the first place.

If he can't support himself with his salary, either he's bad at budgeting (which I can help with) or he needs to explore his options for raises, promotions, or equally satisfying jobs with better-paying companies. Either way, I'd date him in his current situation.

• I really don't care at all as long as he has a job he takes pride in.

• Look, in 6 years I'm going to finish pharmacy school, and have an income of about $100,000 a year. I don't like the idea of dating someone who can't at least keep up with me, or surpass me. Therefore, I don't care what job he has as long as the income matches or surpasses mine.

• IT doesn't FUCKING MATTER WHAT THE DUDE WORKS OR WHAT HE STUDIED IN COLLEGE AS LONG AS HE'S EDUCATED.
    I'm not gonna choose my future husband based on what job he has, jeez...
    I'm gonna marry the guy I love no matter what career he chose to have or what he's into.
    GAH... you people need to stop overthinking and overanalising the career thing. IT doesn't MATTER. Period.

• WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME? :'(

• WHOA! I didn't even notice the "you people" remark. FYI I ask questions out of curiosity what others are into/go for. I don't judge people based on how much they make or whether or not they have a degree. get over yourself.

• I'm sorryyy xD
      i just came across several questions nowadays from people asking these kinda stuff and i got pissed now that i read you Q haha xD

Well, I like guys that are educated or that at least care about their education. And yes, it's preferably for them to have been to college.

• I don't really have a definite career in mind as in i don't only date doctors or whatever and i don't really know any women that are that specific or like that.
    It is important to me though that whoever i date likes or is interested in their job. You're at work for a good portion of the day and it has an impact on how you are after work and therefore the people you hang out with.
    The money thing is a thing. Like most women i want to get married and raise a family and i want to be with someone who wants that too and is financially responsible. That doesn't mean i want to marry someone rich or whatever, but i want to be with someone who has the same attitude to money as i have, that is responsible with it.

• I wouldn't care. I'll make enough money to take of myself. I never want a man to take care of me. And I'm not spoiled so I don't have to have a mansion and a huge boat. So, all I need is a loving man that works hard and honestly.

• I did mean for the guy to take care of you. just in general.

• that was a typo, I meant I didn't mean...

• Haha, it's cool. I read it too fast and read it the way you meant.

• I'll be honest I always said I would 1. Marry a Lawyer (because my brother went to Law school and I met some of his friends) and 2. Never date or be with someone that would be in uniform (Cop, Security etc) and guess what? I am now with someone for almost a year that wants to be a cop. You can aim for what career you want your ideal spouse to be in but you might get something else. Learn to accept it and support your partner...

• I don't care as long as it's something he wants to do and he isn't struggling between paychecks.

• so, if you met a great guy and he either hated his job or was currently struggling, you wouldn't give him a chance?

• I didn't say I wouldn't give him a chance. If he was struggling or if he hated his job, I would care (as opposed to not caring if he loves it and makes enough). Doing a job you dislike is tiresome and stressful, and I feel like it would put a strain on the relationship at some point. Like, either he'd come home and do nothing but complain, or he'd just generally always be in a bad or sad mood because he has to put up with his shitty work. That would most likely give him intimacy issues, stress does that. Same goes for struggling. He would most likely be constantly stressed out, and I doubt I could see a future with him if I would constantly have to provide for him or make sure I make enough for the both of us. It doesn't really matter how great he is I think, at the end of the day these issues are too big to just ignore. I wish those things could be ignored but they can't. They would ruin the relationship.

• Women nowdays just want a man on her professional level. She wouldn't like it when she s a doctor and he's something less than that honestly but it is not related to how much he makes, but rather his intellectual status, would they both be interested in the same causes and talk about it with the same intellectual level. Thats the real deal

• what a person does doesn't always have anything to do with how intelligent they are. too many people on here keep making that mistake.

• you made the mistake of thinking that what a person does is all what matters.

• when did I say it mattered? you made the mistake of assuming because I asked a question out of curiosity that I judge people based on how the make their living.

• I don't care what he does or how much he makes, as long as he works and can pay his own bills. I make my own money, money and careers aren't very important to me though.

• The only job he has to have is the one of winning my heart everyday :)

Whatever his dream job is, that's with him

Of course I want him to reach his full potential, but I don't have like a special vision for HIS dreams.

• that said, I'd like for him to have a stable job at some point. The same way that I would have. So we both can stand our own.

• As long as he has a job and isn't just a free loader I'm happy. I can make more money than him but as long as we both have enough to stand on our own and we love each other, I couldn't ask for more.

• A cupcake maker, baker, chef, etc. so he can make me food.

• Well I guess I qulify as a professional, so it would be better if both were on the same level.

• so, you're saying non professionals are beneath you?

• I never once suggested that any one with out an education was intelligent, I stated that education and intelligence are not mutual. Their is a distinction. I have not ignored trends, you have not presented me with any data that would show a trend and any and all IQ tests are provably innacurate since we do not have a clear definintion of intelligence and most things tested for must be of a mathmatical nature since most realms of thought are subjective by nature and thus cannot be measured by the number of right answers as their are none. The fact is I have shown you people who do not fall into your world view. You have told me I was wrong, but then did not provide me with any evidence what so ever about how I was wrong other then by repeating that education equals intelligence (again it does not from a logical standpoint and from what evidence I have presented) That is elitism, the idea that because you belong to a certain group you are inherintly better then those who do not.

• Yes, in america only those with money get to have an education, and again we have variations on how education works and therefor to presume education is intelligence is flawed due to the inconcistency of what education is, since every coutnry has a different system, yet every country has people who are intelligent and successful despite their "lack" of education. If you enjoy the status of having been in higher education that is fine (I don't understand it but its fine) claiming that it is why you are better then others (you are, by directly linking and arguing that education = intelligence you are stating those who are not educated are inferior to you, intellectually speaking. That also leads me to believe you have some emotional issues, fear of inadequecy and such. This isn't an insult just an observation, if you wish to talk about it I will listen, if not thats fine as well.) Its a very limited and illogical view of how things work.

• Honestly, as long as he has a stable job that makes decent money, it doesn't really matter. Being a hot-dog seller isn't ideal though lol.

• Celebrity! Because i need money, money, money lol

• unless he's an a-list celebrity, he's more likely to be in debt.

• Yep and being a celebrity is pretty much a living hell.. It looks so nice and faboulous but when you become one you are stuck there.

By the way i joked haha... I wanted to see if someone took it seriously lol

• professional or manual labor

• interesting. extreme opposites.

• i'm just going by my personal experiences. i like brains and guys who are good with their hands but haven't found someone who's a decent combination of both.

• I don't care, but I hope he works with something he loves

• I legit don't care. All I want if for him to be happy doing what he does for a living. I make decent money and live comfortably already, so I don't need him to make a lot of money. If he wants to, that's fine, that's his ambitious choice.

• I prefer Aurors, but Healers and Mediwizards are not bad either.

• Executive/Lawyer