Was this a bad date? Or are my friends just being materialistic?

So I've been out of the dating scene for a long time, I was in a serious 6 year relationship with my ex in which we lived together. So after the break up I've been mingling and kind of getting to know the dating scene, also taking my time to get back out there after a nasty break up. I've been talking to this guy on and off for a while, and we fairly recently went out on a date. We took a drive out to see the city view and had a smoke, and decided to get a beer at a local bar. We went in the bar and realized we were totally underdressed haha we had a laugh and finished our beers and left because it was too noisy. So we took a long walk around the nice shops and just talked the whole night. I didn't mind walking and just talking for a first date. It was actually a lot of fun and it wasn't awkward and I felt like we got to know each other a lot better. As my friends asked me how it went and I told them, they kind of made it seem like it was a bad date, because he didn't take me out to dinner or a movie or because we didn't get all dressed up. Kind of making it seem like he didn't put enough effort or that guys only to that when they aren't sure if they want to date someone. It had been my first date in years and I thought it was really sweet and nice, but my friends think other wise, from a dating perceptive was this a bad date? I'm confused I don't feel that way, and I'm probably letting my friends opinions get to me, but I'm curious what other people have to say. I'm not usually this insecure , but since im getting back out there again I'm kind of relearning how to talk/date guys haha thanks for taking the time to answer 😊

Also I don't agree with having to spend a lot of money on a date or to impress someone, I'm totally cool with just hanging out and talking.

Most Helpful Guy

• Your friends... *shakes head*.

I'd actually say most people i know do NOT do dinner on a first date. Coffee or a drink is better.

Sounds like you had a good time getting to know each other.

• well most of my friends never had a serious relationship or they just date a bunch of guys. I was the only one in a long term relationship. I thought it was kind of twisted and sad they thought it had to be all fancy and extreme.

But I did, it's been a while since I've had an actual conversation.

• So your friends like to have casual relationships with guys who throw money around on them.

I think there may be a name for that behavior ;)

• Lol maybe I need new friends haha

What Guys Said 2

• It's doesn't always have to be a dinner for it to be romantic, if you two hut it off regardless of location then that's great. Ignore your friends.

• Yeah that's what I was thinking, a nice walk is okay for a first date. Thanks:)

• Yeah, but don't let it continue all the time you two hang out. At some point he needs to take you out to a more formal date.

• I completely agree!

• 1. He was being cheap
    2. You probably talked way too much
    We all have our flaws don't we?

What Girls Said 1

• It's not about what your friends think, they weren't there. If you enjoyed it, then it was a good date. Your friends have nothing to do with it :)