Does this make me a racist?

I dont want to date indian or middle eastern guys but im open for friendship. The guys that i said this too told me im a racist cause i dont want to date those certain people.

• Racist
  • Not racist
  • I don't know

Most Helpful Guy

• No not at all racist. Sexual attraction or preference for partners has nothing to do with racism.
    Racism is such a contentious and difficult topic to discuss. It invokes such passion in both sides of the spectrum. So someone who you are reject from your preferences to date would say you are racists simply because you make them feel rejected.
    However those who don't suffer from being judgmental about colour race or religion like myself. So I'm impartial I think it's simply you stating your sexual preference.

Most Helpful Girl

• It would be racist if you denied them a job because of his race, or made him pay higher taxes, but not finding them attractive isn't.

What Guys Said 27

• Everyone has likes and dislikes that has nothing to do with racism. Racism is about thinking one ethnic group or another is inferior and that they should be treated differently.

• I don't think it makes you racist. I think it means you have preferences. I think it does indicate a prejudice towards dating them

• No, it does not make you racist. Everyone has preferences and there is nothing wrong with it. Don't let those people make you feel bad because you have no reason to.

• People who said that to me are those guys I've rejected. I told them i would love to be friends but they just keep on calling me names

• They are butthurt and trying to hurt your feelings by calling you names.

• It would only be racist if your reasoning was something like "I don't want to date Indian or Middle Eastern guys because they're ugly/stupid/smelly/perverted/etc."

If your reason for not wanting to date them is because you're simply not into them, then that's perfectly fine.

• It's your preference, I don't want to date women of my own race does that make racist against my own race? White women just don't do it for me and I get sick of seeing them rammed down my face in the media. It's my preference and if someone doesn't like it, that's their problem and not mine.

• It's only racist if you're basing the decision on their race. But if you just know you're not attracted to a certain race then it's not racist. It might come across as racist though, since you're using it as a prerequisite.

I only date women, that doesn't make me sexist.

• For the record, it's not prejudice either,(as some are implying) since you know what you're not attracted to. You can judge physical beauty without knowing the person, it would only be prejudice if you judge their self worth based on their race (or some other trait) on baseless or illogical reasoning.

Unless of course you believe that not being attracted to any person is also considered prejudice, and some would like you to believe this.

• You can't change who you are attracted to, its the same as calling a gay guy sexist because he doesn't want to date girls.

So no you are not a racist, you're just not attracted to indian/middle eastern guys and thats completely fine, no one should try to force you.

• Look, let's be honest. Indian/middle eastern dudes aren't exactly eye candy.

So I see nothing wrong here.

• You would be SURPRISED as to how many good looking Indian/ Middle Eastern there are. Every place has their share of unattractive people as well as good looking people, so don't go summing up an entire race of people based on what you may or may not have seen.

• @Shay1994 true they are not all ugly but hairy which is a a bonus

• @nileve Well, many are.. but not all lel :D.

• If you met some Indian or Middle Eastern guys and turned each of them down after knowing them, that would not be racist.
    Stating in advance that you don't want to date any guys from a group because of their origin is racist.
    Stating in advance that you don't want to date guys from a group because of their religion is not racist.
    See the difference?
    Not all Indian or Middle Eastern guys are Muslim or Hindu or behave according to traditions.

• Well... it comes off as racist, because your comment reads as "I don't want to date this entire group of people!"

People should be judged on the content of their character (although race sub-cultures are a real thing to consider).

----

If don't mind me asking... why is it that you are so closed to date anyone that is Indian or Middle Eastern? I'm not here to judge, I'm just extremely curious and want to help analyze this for you!

• It's just a preference, like anything else. Saying that you're racist if you don't like indians/asians/europeans or whatever is like a rapist saying "I'm going to have sex with you. If you don't like it, you obviously don't like to have sex".

• So now, in order to be truly non-racist you have to fuck everybody?

What the world has come to...

• Racism is to value a person by its race. Sex appeal and friendship are different things and because of many aspects we have a selective sexual taste. There are people who can attract you the most but you don't want to be friends with and vice versa.

• It isn't racist, but it doesn't make any sense to me. I can't relate to it at all.

• First of all sorry for my bad English I am still learning.
    You are not racist only not attracted to middle eastern guys and indians.
    As a middle eastern guy I agree with you. Middle eastern guys doesn't look good.

• Not racist. You can't decide your preferences, you just have them. As Long as you dont threaten any Indian guys, you're not racist

• Prejudice maybe, but not racist. Kinda crazy to say you wouldn't find not one Indian guy attractive, ya know like as if you met every Indian guy and they just don't do it for you. Because they all definitely don't look the same. You probably just don't like their darker skin and whatever other features they have that make them Indian.

• No its not their skin. I dated black guys before

• I don't know i just dont find them attractive. Even that actor that everyone said is hot i dont find attractive

• You're a human being of reason, you have a reason for everything. Every decision you make has a reason so don't say you don't know because you do. But I won't ask you about it anymore, you know why you don't find them attractive and no one else needs to know that's all that matters.

• No, it makes you a normal individual capable of making up your own mind about who you want to get all nasty dirty with in a sex way.

You do NOT have to whore yourself out in the name of diversity or multiculturalism.

• I feel not dating a certain race is not racist, but hating on a certain race does make you racist.

• Same like, not giving certain race jobs is not racist , but hating on a certain race does make you racist.

• No, your allowed to have dating/physical attraction byest and not be racist

• That does not make you a racist...

• Probably shallow and prejudiced but not racist definitely

• Just saw your profile now i totally get why you're saying this

• hahaha you must be kiddin' me

• its not racist in the slightest if you are not basing it on racial generalisations but more on what you find attractive. eg i find girls with small breasts very attractive, does this make me a tittist?

• That means your sub-conscious is racist.

• I really don't know what to tell you, since I myself am Indian lel. But people have their preferences and so do you :D.

• Yea but there are people who called me racist cause of it. I still want to be friends with them but i dont want to date them

• Well I can see why you would rather not be part of that culture, so I voted No.

• I prefer Asians, will date whites and some latinas, won't date black girls.

This is because of what attracts me, it's not racism, just natural sexual attraction. If I'm not sexually attracted to a girl of course I wouldn't date her, I'd just have her as a friend. Nothing wrong with it.

• We all have our individual preferences, plus there are cultural considerations.

What Girls Said 15

• No it's nor racist and it is your preference. You're attracted to what you're attracted to whether it's black, white, Hispanics, Idian, Asian, or all of the above.

You're racist if you look down apon people of that color, if you think you're better than them, if you mistreat them, or say stereotypical things about them. Not finding them attractive is a whole other ball game.

It's like saying you're racist if you like apples over oranges... It's just your preference and you're free to like whatever you like.

• nope, u have ur preferences and that should be respected. the fact that ur open to friendship should make it obvious to those guys that u aren't a racist. if u were, u wouldn't bother talking to them at all.

• Yes it's racist. Can I ask what the issue is? You can't rule out an entire group of people, unless maybe if you're doing it because of religious conflict. If you're attracted to the person and have similar beliefs and values. They make you happy, then what's the problem. If a guy was perfect for you in every aspect and he happened to be Indian or middle eastern, you wouldn't date him?

• Im just not attracted to them. Im open for friendship just not dating

• That is true. I've noticed that as well. It's interesting.

• To the Asker: If you found an Indian or a Middle Eastern guy that you found attractive and vibed well with, would you date him?

• I think that you are entitled to how you feel. I personally have certain races that I am not attracted to. I would suggest just telling someone "thanks, but I'm not interested." Rather than telling them that it's because of their race. I imagine it would only serve to make someone feel bad.

• I said that first but then they asked why. Im not good at lying so it just came out like that

• Yea, I guess saying something like 'im not attracted to you' might hurt feelings. Maybe figure out a way to word things differently like that, that won't sound so harsh.

• That has nothing to do with racism, they are just not your racial preference.

Racism is defined as "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior" - so if you just don't wanna date someone because they're not your type or you can't relate to their culture, I don't see how that makes you racist as it really doesn't. :P

• It's normal to have a preference when it comes to dating even when other people don't agree with you.

• No.
    It's a preference.

• No, everyone has preferences

• It's what's called racial preferences, and it's not bad. A lot of people seem to only gravitate towards their own race, others, every race. Don't be ashamed of it

• It really depends on why. You can have a preference, no biggie. But if your preference is rooted in negative stereotypes then it is wrong. I encourage people, to evaluate a little deeper why a certain group is a no. Do you not like darker hair/darker skin? Do you think these men are going to treat you a certain way you don't approve of? Do you think you don't have stuff in common with them?

Some of the reasons are prejudicial, some are not. So just think about it a bit.

Personally, I find those guys attractive, and get along with many, but I don't think of them as serious partners. Most south Asian and middle eastern men I have known may date around, they tend to only want to get serious with people in their own ethnic group. At this stage I am looking for something more serious and long term. So if we didn't matchup in this way, it would be a waste of time. But if they showed they were willing to get serious and we were a match, I would be game.

• Im just not attracted to them

• This makes you racially biased, not racist.

• Hmm.. prejudice?
    You are discriminating though.
    You're saying that you don't want to date someone just because they are a certain race.
    Not giving them a chance and ruling them out just based on race.
    Doesn't sound too good does it?

• How about middle eastern girls? Wink wink

• so you don't even consider that you can meet an indian guy who you will be sexually attracted to? and what if you meet him, would you refuse your sexual feelings because he is indian?
    you never know... if you refuse him, despitie being sexually attracted to him, Because he is indian-yes that's Racist.

• If i find him attractive then i would give it a try

• well, think about it for yourself be honest with yourself. good luck)

• say that "if you were hotter, maybe" lmao

• no its just what you find attractive or just what you think is better for you.