Is it wrong to date a person your best friend/or friend used to date?

My best friend said im breaking "girl code" if i date anybody she ever dated... while me on the other hand wouldn't care if she dated any my ex's they my ex for a reason... i dont want them no more... so what do y'all think? (goes for both sex)

• Yes, its wrong
  • No, its not wrong

Most Helpful Guy

• It's wring because she said so and she is you friend. If you are a loyal friend, you will honor her wishes.

• I do honor her wishes its just like am i the only person that wouldn't care if my friend dated someone i used to talk to?

• Have you ever actually had it happen? It is easier to say that it would be okay if you have never lived through the experience.

• It never happened but when i brought it up she got upset and said why would i do that?

What Guys Said 8

• in this case yes its wrong

• So if it wasn't my best friend it wouldn't be wrong?(even though i wouldn't do that to her i respect her wishes but i find it funny when i tell her idc if she talked to someone i did she gets upset at me and be like "why would i do that to you?" im not saying she would but if she did i wouldn't care

• It can be wrong because a person can think you wanted their ex when they were together. I can say if she wasn't treating him right and he's a good man then, she shouldn't have anything to say. If that's the case, maybe she can learn something on how to keep a good man.

• You should only date people she has dated with her blessing. Otherwise he is #HandsOff. Frankly it doesn't matter what you would do is the roles were reversed.

There's plenty of fish in the sea. Why dishonor your friendship unnecessarily?

• If you're talking "girl code", then I guess I can't help you much. In general though, I would say it may depend. But usually it should be okay. After all, just because it didn't work out with your friend doesn't mean he needs to be cast off of everyone your friend knows.

• Yes In friend point of view it is wrong.

• It's bit wrong, though it does reek of all sorts of trouble.

• no it is not wrong

• Yeah its not but if your friend said "hey u can't date her" would u still do it thats the big question

• your ex boyfriend/girlfriend does not have any ownership of you, you are free to date whoever you fancy. You and your ex are finished for ever and ever. Who is s/he to tell anyone who is allowed to date you and who is not?

• True very true...

• To many men/women in the sea. Grow some ball and date someone else.

What Girls Said 11

• It's extremely weird.
    But all the shows and movies make it seem so normal for some reason. O. o

• if i was limited to dating only the people none of my friends had gone out with, i'd only be able to date, like, two people. not really, because I only have one friend and she hasn't dated that many people, but my point is that especially as you get older, the dating pool will dwindle if you don't date any of your friends' exes. why should it matter, though? unless she still wants him (or whatever pronouns you prefer) and still has feelings for him, then you should respect that and stay away from him (or her), but otherwise I say go for it.

• even tough ur comfortable with it ur best friend might not be

• What is "girl code"? If they were actually dating then yes it would be a problem. If she is really your friend she wouldn't let petty things like this come between you.

• Girl code is like the guy code. They're unwritten social rules most people abide by. Kind of like common sense.

• Here's why it's wrong. Because your friend isn't okay with it. If your friend was okay with it then go ahead but if you value your friendship more then the possibility of a romance with there ex then don't cross that line. Personally it would seem awkward to date a friends ex. Especially if they had a bad break up. And just like another user said it kind of seems like you had your eye on the ex while they were in a relationship with your friend.

• It depends on the situation.

• Yea don't do that

• Yes it's entirely selfish. I saw your reply to the guy who got mho and it looks like you can't feel empathy towards her (you said that you wouldn't be able to relate). Which still doesn't change how wrong it is.

• I value my friend and respect her wishes so i would never do that but far as relating to her i can't because i wouldn't care if a friend of mind dated my ex but i get others point of view of it though and understand

• Yes, it's wrong, don't do it

• You don't want to peck at someone's leftovers...

• Disrespectful but then again if y'all click then why key that get in the way