Is this the ideal male body (according to most women)?

I've heard that the "swimmer's body" (I lol when I hear that term) is supposedly the ideal male body. Now, I think they look weak and tiny, but apparently women like that sort of thing, I think. I always thought women loved really muscular men, as my mother was and is repulsed by the skinny, toned type of physique shown above (she said she lost most attraction to my father when he dropped below 200 lbs, when he went from a meat-eating powerlifter to a vegan cycler at 175). She said she always loved big, muscular men like this:

So, I got the impression growing up that women liked that sort of thing, and I began laughing at the swimmer's physique as well. But, no I've heard differently.

So... which one do women generally prefer: the burly, muscular body or the slightly toned, low fat body?

Most Helpful Girl

• the guy on the last pic has the perfect body in my opinion.. i like guys a bit bulky or "thick", musuclar or call it what you want and i find hair on a mand very sexy.. he has just enough hair.. any more than that it will turn into a turn off... he is "solid" which is muy sexy!

• dont get me wrong, the swimmer's body type is also very attractive.. but i like my men hairy and a bit more soild i guess

• Thank God!

Most Helpful Guy

• Man forget my legs I'm gonna try and get a body like the second guys and ima quit shaving too

• I'm surprised at the answers from women O. o that second guy is straight up BEASTLY

• Yeah, I lnow, right? It seems like women like skinny dudes with almost no muscle mass.

What Girls Said 33

• Yes, the swimmer's body is pretty much perfect. I love it. Toned and low fat is the best, and I know a lot of girls would agree. I'm not really into the burly, muscular bodies.

• Hopefully not that many women agree. I'm pretty repulsed by it, and I would never want to look like that.

• That beard makes me want to vomit. Is that a man or a billy goat?

• I think he looks badass. He'd look better if he groomed his beard, though, or shaved it down some.

• If sex is so logical and rational, then why are people attracted to different things? Wouldn't we all want to bone the same clones or whatever? No. You've rationalized attraction for god knows whatever reason, and I'm done explaining things that don't need to be explained to someone who is unwilling to understand.

• No, I understand. It's just that what you're saying is irrational, and rationality is the only key to truth.

• The swimmer bod > the hairy thing. Always.

• He could shave some of his hair, but his body is definitely way more badass than the swimmer's body.

• @openwide Nah, I think they're probably equally aerobically fit. The bottom guy is a cross fit athlete; plus, he's easily significantly stronger than the swimmer.

• Don't really know about crossfit, I understand they also do aerobic exercise, then his health might be top.

• I'm attracted to both. Though I think I didn't start being more attractive to bulkier guys until around my late 20's and guys in my age range started getting thicker.

• slim men are awesome... bulky men are just overdoing it you can't cuddle someone so lumpy and overly muscled!

• um... idc really... i like chubby guys!

• Depends on the person. People will have different preferences but personally I think they need to have more muscle/fat on the legs and thighs

• Dude, the guys in the first picture aren't even skinny. They've got nice bodies.
    This is skinny:
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...97a0e450e9.jpg
    This is NOT skinny:
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...40c67b9d85.jpg

• Every girl is different. I personally prefer muscular and slightly toned, low fat bodies.

• i like thin toned bodies. thinner thane swimmers but they have nice bodies as in they are not flabby.. that picture of the burly and kinda squishy guy is the opposite of what I've ever been into... I like swimmers-- no body hair and lean:)

• Swimmers have great bodies.
    renegadechicks.com/.../...npdjR41qznakso1_1280.jpg
    They don't look weak to me.

• Yeah I prefer the top one

• There's more than one type of body that appeals to any given woman. And I don't think there's anything near a universal ideal.

Personally I don't like super ripped guys. 5'10"-6'2", low body fat, lean, decent muscles but not ripped, that's nice. So yeah I prefer the guys in the first picture to the second. Its weird- I don't like super defined 6 packs either.

Found this on wiki once:

upload.wikimedia.org/.../255px-Half-naked_male.jpg

Like that but slightly less muscular.

• Oh and I also think its cute when he's fit but has a little chub on his tummy like around the belly button. I don't know why. But its soooo cute. Maybe bc a guy I really liked was like that.

• Yeah, I'd say like that. What would you say your ideal male physique looks like?

• I guess kinda like the picture I put above but somewhat less muscular.
      I dunno I'm kinda weird. Whatever guy I like is my ideal. When you asked me that I just kept thinking about a particular guy.

• I love a swimmer's body or a soccer body. My boyfriend kinda got a swimmer's body. Broad shoulders with muscled arms, small waist and hips and slightly defined abs.

• I haven't seen many swimmers with broad shoulders or muscular arms.

• Definitely prefer the swimmers body over the cave man!

• swimmer's body is today's ideal

however I see it is kind of irrealistic to expect a guy to look like this

ahs long as he exercises and eats healthy, Im good ;)

• hmm.. I hate six packs. but besides that, the guys above definitely look better than the bear below.

• My boyfriend is still growing. He is 6'2", but he is extremely skinny and boney. But, he is also pretty muscular and dang strong. I'm spoiled with him; I couldn't ask for better in any way, not just his body. He is kind of like a freshman version of the "swimmer's body." Aside from the pokey bones here and there, it's perfect.

• Lol the bodies on the first are definitely better than the second picture.
    Still not my ideal body on guys tho as they have such short legs like.. Why? 😖😂Lol

• I dont like too much muscles on a guy , swimmer is good yeah but usually they have large back and small lower body wepends on guys but yeah they r good a bit , im more for the skinny toned body. ^^

• Not the second photo but the first is my dream guy

• The body that doesn't look like it was designed in the gym.

• Swimmers bodies are nice so are muscular men not too big though. Oh Jaime from that show " outlander" is muscular and sexy.

• I prefer the toned, low fat body.

• It kind of depends... I personally think that both body types are hot in different ways... it depends on the person's preferences,

• I'm a fan of both body types, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the muscular body over the swimmer's body. I love them both, but some swimmer's (like in the pic) look small. Then again a guy's arms are what attract me the most lol

• Yeah you're spot on- there is most definitely such a thing as too muscly. The swimmers body looks great and is certainly not scrawny.

• Slightly toned, low fat body for me :)

• I prefer skinnier guys. Skinnier guys but with the right amount of muscle is hot. So yeah a swimmers body. But maybe a little bit less muscle. Muscle definition doesn't matter to me too. If a guy has abs then, great if he doesn't still great!

• Definitely the swimmers bod.

• More from Girls
    3

What Guys Said 9

• that awkward moment when you realize this dude willingly searched for pictures of shirtless guys on the internet

• Id say the grand majority of girls I know and have met prefer a swimmers body. And close seconds are Soccer players/Gymnasts and football players.

If you talk to a lot of girls about what they like about a mans physique tho, most seem to like a guy that doesn't look like he spends all his time in the gym. But is more like he just "happens" to look this way, because of his lifestyle and physical activity. Swimming embodies that, because their workout is swimming, swimming, swimming, maybe some airbike, more swimming, Abs (loved by all, man and women), then swimming some more. If you've ever done swimming regularly, it really does do wonders for your body.

• Swimming's okay, I guess.

Yeah, I've heard that women just want a guy to "naturally" look fit because of the life he leads. And, honestly, that's up there in the top 3 perplexingly dumbest things I've ever heard in my life.

• lol right?

It's like, uuuuh. I work. If I don't go to the gym or plan something specific... I don't workout. A lot of guys have deskjobs are something that really doesn't require heavy lifting.

• I think you may have skewed your results by using an unkempt, hairy... yet balding unhealthy looking ginger has your muscular example there. The muscles aren't even the first thing you notice about that guy.

• Abs n pecs, no chest hair for most women. So yes!

• women like what you tell them to like.

• It'd be cool if it was that easy.

• @RachelBrigs Yeah, but I have autism/aspergers. I don't usually care about social norms, practices, and standards.

• Okay... what I said still stands then.

• don't care what girls really think but I'd love to like the muscular body guy in a few years.

• women prefer my body. here i am>
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...5e14e148e7.jpg

• I'd prefer to be built like the second dude, I bet he eats swimmers for breakfast because they're high in protein. lmao

• Exactly, a lot of swimmers look like bitches. I would rather be a built strong guy than a thin swimmer. I would have almost no self confidence with one of those bodies in the top picture.

• Yeah, I don't get it. Women are all over this thing of wanting to feel protected, those guys couldn't protect shit! lol

• BRAH, DO THOSE GUYS EVEN LIFT? They good aesthetics but no mass. You probably couldn't even tell they have muscles under their shirts, fk that body mann