Why are men typically more selfish than women in relationships?

Most Helpful Guy

• Bit of generalizing there, but alright.

It's because we're simpler in our goals, we don't have so much of the emotional link so we are more focused on what we want and how to get it.

Often it's not intended selfishness, but more a lessened ability toward consideration.

Men are generally more practical and less theoretical in our pursuits.

• Thanks you better words what I was trying to say just less considerate not necessarily in a bad way but I think sometimes we all just wish the other sex was a little more like us. 😕

What Guys Said 13

• Are you for real?
    Who pulls out the credit card? Who picks up who? Who buys gifts? Who gives their jacket? Who has to be there when the other one needs support? Who...

I don't think one is more selfish than the other, that depends on the person, but you can't generalize and say men are more selfish when typically men put more things at risk when they get in a relationship.

• I would add one more on that list:
      Who usually takes a bullet if it got that extreme and a shooter came or pushes her away from upcoming car/truck... thus either gives up his life or gets seriously injured in order for her to be safe?

• Exactly... +1

• @Roarky92 Also, if the ship was sinking, who gets to get on the boats and leave? Yeah, it's not men *cough cough* Titanic *cough cough*
      xD

• Most guys won't care and will follow you and do stuff for you as long as they are happy in bed so I dont understand what you mean.

• So it comes down to sex? They only want to see you because it means they'll get sex?

• Not at all what I said. We love being with you for other things than sex. What I mean is that we do not care about leaving you the reins and letting you drive. Most of the time, we will let you organise stuff or schedule stuff and we will just follow you along. But when it comes to sex, we want what we want.
      It's like a pact. Look, Do whatever the hell you want, you can redecorate the living room, the kitchen, the bedroom how you want, we'll go have diner at your parents, you can invite your friends over, etc. K will follow you around and not be an obstacle and help you achieve what you desire. But once we are in the bedroom, I want what I want and it's your turn to follow me and make sure I get what it is I am looking for. Is it more clear?

• Why do some many people imagine that there is some defining behavior of the opposite sex?

• They are?

I think you should ask that person why they are selfish.

I'm pretty sure there is enough selfishness in every single person in the right context regardless of their sex.

• Why do you think like that? I don't really agree with this.

• Don't mean to be blunt but when was the last time, that a movie even shows a woman dying of hypothermia on freezing waters while the guy gets put to safety on a wooden panel?

I didn't think so.

• Because you typically go for selfish men, because at some level selfishness turns you on. "Typically?" How insulting can you get? If the men you know are "typically" selfish, then look at the common denominator between all of them. If you can't find the common denominator, this might help.

http://cliparts.co/cliparts/6iy/ooe/6iyooebnT.jpg

• i haven't noticed this. have you met modern women. always wanting an opinion and a say in things. jesus fuck its annoying.

• because you women want men to be assertive You want to be the givers.

• Well how do you get to that generalization?

I can generalize as well
    Women spend more money (even if it isn't theirs)
    Women expect men to do share in the house hold jobs as well as do ALL the man type jobs.
    Women always expect men to change.
    Women want men to stop doing the things they like if it doesn't include her.
    Women expect men to be responsible for her sexual pleasure.

Generalizing is fun.

• I see more selfish women.

I suspect it's that people like you and I put up with more selfishness than we should.

• Yeah I guess it is because I know it isn't intentionally selfish just thoughtless. And if I say something he gets offended and it doesn't stop the pattern so it isn't worth it.

• What do you mean by that?

• Women lie about this stuff on websites and make themselves out to be martyrs. Men aren't monsters and women aren't the defenseless suffering little creatures they pretend to be.

What Girls Said 5

• It's true that men can be selfish in relationships but women can also be just as selfish.

• #generalisation340 i dont believe it comes down to gender, but person.

• 1 of two possible reasons: Either you're a doormat who has to get used because she doesn't know how to form a healthy relationship, or you're just blind to your own selfishness.

• And you've made this conclusion based on?

• Most of us are more willing to settle down than most men are.