What age is the right age to date?

My mom says to take your own age and divide it by 2, then add 7.

My dad says when I'm 40.

What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think its best to start at some point in HS, but only so that you can get some experience and find out ehat relationships are all about before you go off to college and potentially find the one (in college or after). But at your age you should treat it only as a learning experience, and shouldn't take it too seriously.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the right age to start dating at is around 13 or 14. As long as it's just dating lol

What Guys Said 5

• The right age to date is the one that you yourself are comfortable with. Everyone has to decide for themselves what is right and unless you are doing anything illegal don't worry about what other people think.

• An occasional date at the age of 17, I'll allow. Like a Homecoming dance or something special like that... certainly the Prom.

But I'll never let my daughter get picked up unless I see the guy before every date. I've heard this trend where guys pull up to the house and then text the girl he's outside - and she goes out to the car.

Uhm... no, sorry - but that's not happening, son. Have the balls to come in and meet the princesses' big scary daddy... it will save you a lot of pain later by putting an image in your mind of the price you'll pay for fucking up.

• lol thats exactly what my dad says, and thank the Lord for it because it's gotten rid of a lot of scum :D

• Your mom is right, but that's the equation for the minimum age of the partner you should date. So for me, it'd be 16.5.

• I think a good age to date is 21. Granted, I'm past that age. But I would say for my kids that they should date at 21.

• hahaha your parents are funny, i think 17-18 will be okay if you want to seriously date someone, preferably after 18

What Girls Said 3

• What your mother said is the "rule of a thumb" thing. It's a good way to start.
    Your father is exagerating. >.> 😂

• Lol I know he's kidding, don't worry.

• This is why I laugh, no one can now tell you to don't date before 40. 😂

• I feel like you can date when you are comfortable enough to say no to a boy. I was way to young when I started and honestly I regret it.

• I don't know how that equation would work. Or maybe I am doing my math wrong, lol.

Anyway, my dad said when I am in college.

But of course I end up having crushes sometimes.

• well like, if you're ten, then 5 plus 7 would equal 12.
      and when you're 12, then 6 plus 7 would equal 13.
      and so on and so forth until you're 14, when its FINALLY your age and not a sick trick to keep you waiting you whole life until you can find your prince charming.

its basically a really tricky way of saying when you're 14.

• Oh, I don't know, I don't agree with that.

I personally think 14 is too young.

• ok. thank you :D