Would you date someone you know your parents would hate?

I just transferred schools and I met a guy who I'm strangely attracted to. He's cute, but he's basically the total opposite of my type and I'm 100% sure my parents would hate him. I usually only like sweet genuine good guys. He drinks, he smokes, he curses a lot, and a lot of other stuff. He's not a good guy but I like him. I'm 100% sure he likes me too, but I'm not sure that I should invest my time in him because I know he's a bad guy and if we ever got into a serious relationship my parents would hate him. We had a little talk yesterday and I told him why I won't date him becuase he's so immature, and he smokes, drinks, etc. He said he'll "try" to do better. But I doubt it.

• I'd date someone my parents hate
  • I'd never date someone my parents hate
  • Results

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, i'm old and my kids are on the cusp of dating.

You need (not just around this guy, but in general), to draw a distinction between:
    - guys who aren't particularly well behaved
    - guys who are reckless to an extent that's dangerous
    - guys who are actually not very nice.

If this guy isn't deep down a decent guy who happens to party more than he maybe should, i wouldn't avoid him (though you don't want to necessarily pick up his lifestyle). If he seems like a decent guy who also gets drunk and drives around or something similar, you should avoid him because he's a time bomb, even if he's a nice guy. And if he's not just a bad boy in image, but actually a jerk, stay the hell away from him because he'll make you miserable.

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope. Nope. Nope.

Of course, my parents have good tastes in guys lmao

Or maybe I do.

They'd only hate him if he was deep into illegal shit or abusive or something and I have no desire to date someone like that anyway.

When my current guy and I started dating his parents told him they'd write him out of their will and his two sisters told him they'd boycott our wedding and disown him.

Annnd now, it's taken me 4 long years, but they've all come around to how I'm freaking fantastic :p

What Guys Said 11

• I'm the one dating that person, not my parents, they can hate her as much as they want, but if I wanna be with her, I'm gonna be with her.

In your case, it seems like you're asking for trouble.

• When you are old, you will want the love of your life to be with you and one reason is because your parents won't be since they'll be dead. You get into relationships that are best for you, not your parents. Respect them, but they need to respect you too.

• Depends on why. I can sympathize with parents disliking a boyfriend for being shiftless or irresponsible, that will cause a lot of trouble in life going forward. I'm in a situation where my parents respect my girlfriend as a person, but are having a hard time coming to terms with the religious difference (I'm Christian, she's Muslim, her family seems cool with it and nobody is trying to convert anyone but my parents are convinced it will happen).

• No I wouldn't I got my preferences, what I like, morals, values from my parents and their approval is important to me, they know me.

• Yeah ill bring home a black guy bwhahaha
    nah I don't think they would really hate anyone except my mom... she's kind of a bitch to all my SO's

• Your parents aren't dating him, you are. Date the guy that makes you happy. Drinking and smoking doesn't make you a bad person, a large percentage of our country does both. If you dont think it would be a good idea you probably shouldn't start it, having a negative outlook on a relationship before it starts is not good, and you shouldn't allow him to change to what you want.

• I know drinking and smoking doesn't make you a bad person. But we're both 16, which makes it illegal, and I'm pretty sure my parents don't want me dating an immature, irresponsible, underaged drinker/smoker.

• Hell I married a women my parents hated, they were right because it lasted all of 8 months (marriage )
    The expression mom and dad knows best, is more times spot on then we care to admit.

• I don't care what my parents think. I'm unlikely to even tell them.

• if I date someone and my parents hate them that is their own problem

• depends on why.

• I have yes and it cost hundreds of thousands.

What Girls Said 6

• nope. my parents' approval is important to me, but i would at least want an explanation as to whats so wrong about the guy.

• Yes. Their opinion means nothing to me. My life, my choices.

• Hell ya ! I don't want to date someone my family likes!

• That dude sounds like trouble, I'd stay away if I was you...

• My sinking is doing that and it is hard.

I don't want to hurt my parents so I am cautious about who I let myself fall for

Sometimes I find myself liking someone that I know my parents won't approve. But the feelings fade away before I can act on them, so nothing like that has happened yet.
    But I feel like if I ever fall for someone with good character, and compatible guy, then I would most likely be with him.

• It's your life, their opinion doesn't matter. They may have valuable advice, bit in the end, it's up to you.