Who should pay for the date?

I'm going out with a guy for the third time. I'm the one who asked him out. I made a reservation in a restaurant and my friend was pissed and she called me stupid. She says he is the guy and he should pay. I don't like it when guys pay for me. Would I look weird if I pay? and what do you guys think about that.

Most Helpful Guy

• Those who do the asking should pay, regardless of gender, unless it was mutually agreed that either the other will pay or the bill will be split.

Oh, and your friend is the stupid one. She's probably just jealous because she isn't the one who is going on a date. But given her dumb views, I can see why.

Most Helpful Girl

• I say if you feel like paying then pay. My rule is if I make the plans, I will pay.

In all fairness, it's not the guy's job to pay everytime. Yes, he should want to impress you, but it doesn't require money to do that.

I know some people are still fairly traditional. But there is nothing wrong with paying.

It won't look weird if you pay. If he feels weird about it, then he can always offer to pay.

in my opinion it shows that the girl is willing to pay for stuff and isn't into the guy for money.

Also, there's nothing wrong with asking a guy out on a date. It shows you're interested in him.

What Guys Said 11

• I like it when girls offer to split the bill, it shows me that they don't have the intention to exploit me, which gives me the freedom to insist that I get the bill, so its nice she offers, but I am a true believer in expressing my appreciation in having her as company for the evening and insisting to get the bill, but an offer should at least be mentioned to split and allow the guy to either accept or refuse, x

• Whoever asks the person out, should pay. In your case, for this date, you should pay because you asked him out. Unless of course, he insists and does not let you pay.

• I grew up in a very traditional environment. I'll always try to pay for us both, if she insists in paying for herself then go for it I'm not going to fight her, but whatever. I don't care about those details, I'd rather just focus on getting to know her and having a good time!!

• Unfortunately you asked him out so you should pay.

Which - WHY DID YOU DO THAT?

Here's the way you do it. I had a girl ask me out one time - but she asked me out to lunch - AT PIZZA HUT. So she paid and... well, Pizza Hut... that's not very much to pay.

But I returned the favor and asked her out to a fancy restaurant - where I paid. And we went out of six months... and I ALWAYS PAID.

Men should pay, but in your case - you asked him out so... yeah... you should pay.

• hahaha I did it because I like him and he asked me out twice. I thought it is my turn to ask him out. is'nt it?

• It depends on how "in" to you he is. If I asked a girl out on a date - it was because I thought she might "be the one". So I was pursuing her and I always asked her out and always paid. But, it sounds like - maybe you too aren't so serious and this is just a nice thing to do for him - so there's nothing wrong with paying.

• No we are not serious like planning to be in a relationship. We are just interested and seeing each other. Thank you for the good advice

• You can pay for the meal. It would only be awkward if you make it awkward. I would find that sexy if a woman payed for my meal. It shows financial security as most females couldn't afford my meals.(I am a big guy)

• Well either way. How cool would he feel about you knowing you covered the date. It would only make you stand out in a positive way.

So go ahead be unique, don't always follow social standards

• Your friend is a sexist piece of shit if she truly thinks that.
    Go ahead and pay for it. Try to be fair. If he paid for the last 2 dates then you should pay for the third one.

• Third date is a fair time to split the bill.
    1st & 2nd , the guy should pay.

• Why don't people just split the cheque... I mean i know it's less romantic but it's far more practicul haha

• Whoever's treat it is. Seriously, paying for dates, isn't such a big deal. Who cares? As long as you enjoy the company

• for me it is not a big deal at all but I try to hide it and do not tell my friends or family that I pay for dates. I do not know why it is so complicated.

• Split the bill. Your friend is stuck in an old way of thinking.

What Girls Said 2

• I really don't get the "he should pay because he is a guy" crap. Your age says 28, you should be fully capable of paying your own auto insurance, mortgage, cell phone bill... And any dates yourself.

I usually got back and forth with guy if we are doing multiple dates. Or we split the bill. Whether or not he pays is no indication of his interest in you.

• It's a traditional thing. Not all girls are interested in traditions I know... but many still are. The guy paying is a way of him demonstrating he can be a good provider. That's all.

• @Thor696
      Nah, you don't need more growing up. I never meant to imply that. This thought process is more a product of your upbringing and generation. I shared that view when I was younger because that was what my mom said it had been like when she was dating my dad. It's an old school thought and there certainly are some times that I see it as romantic.

• You may very well be right - I am of a different generation certainly...

• You ask you pay!