Is sexting considered cheating? Would you break up or make up over it?

I'm just wondering, as I know a lot of guys and girls who sext with other people who are not their boyfriends or girlfriends. I realize it's more of a norm these days actually.

Personally, I would break up with a guy if I found out he was talking to another girl everyday, and then periodically sexting with her.

My best friend just found out that her boyfriend who lives with her has been texting another girl every day since they met 7 months ago. He sends her nudes, and she'll send him some photos of her in lingerie or bikinis. They also text sex (lol) or "sexting" a few times. My best friend called the girl up and confronted her and she said she had no idea he had a girlfriend, they met a few months ago at a party, and his friends were there too, and even his friends never mentioned my best friend. They made out at the party and his friends never said anything. Him and my bestfriend have been living together for a year.

Anyway he blocked the girl and deleted her number and removed her from social media so now my best friend forgives him. To me, this is cheating, I would have kicked him out of my apartment (he's living in HER apartment).

Am I being too extreme/harsh though? Would you forgive your boyfriend or GF?

• It's cheating and it's a BIG deal! Break up!
  • Not a big deal. Make him block her and Make up!

Most Helpful Guy

• There is always a line that must never be crossed. It varies from person to person. It might even change, within that persons mind, over a period of time.

You and I both think in the same terms. One cheat, however small, and that's it. No second chances.

Your bestie may think differently, and have a more lenient position for that line. It may be that she could even forgive sexual infidelity.

No one person is right or wrong, just different.

What Guys Said 14

• It depends on what you have talked about and set up as boundaries. If they are being sneaky about it and doing it behind your back, then yes, that is dirty and they themselves clearly know they are doing something they shouldn't. If you have talked about it and agreed that sexting with others is cool, then by all means let them do it. These are things couples should talk about openly before making too many decisions.

Personally, I would be totally fine with it, but they would know that much before they started doing it.

• Yeah... it's cheating, and there's no ifs or buts about it. It's as if you're on a diet, and end up excusing eating an entire bag of potato chips on Friday evening, because well... it was Friday evening.

• It's cheating and I'd break up.

• Call it what you want, but I wouldn't do it and yeah I'd have breaking up in the cards.

• same here... my best friend got really mad at me and said I was a bitch and that's why I'm single... but glad other people on here agree with me.

• Well, i hope your friend graduates from high school soon.

• Ha! I hope so too

• It's cheating in my book.
    If I've been with her for long enough and love her A LOT then I'd give it another chance, but if I just started getting serious with her then it's over.

• It's cheating in my opinion. If I were in a committed / exclusive relationship, I'd have this talk BEFORE it happened as to what consititutes cheating.

Porn is cheating in my opinion (unless it's of the two of you) as well.

I'd break up for the sexting... not sure about the porn part though (leaning towards brek up though).

• It is cheating. I would not tolerate this in my relationship. Once I catch this if it happened to me the relationship would be over. There will be no sorry/please forgive me. I will never accept this disobedience in any form.

• Yes it's cheating

• I would deem it more pathetic than any thing

• It's cheating and it's a big deal, but I wouldn't say you should necessarily break up.

• It's cheating and a big deal but I would want to work through it.

• I love doing it in general but yes I would dump a bitch if she was doing this with another guy

• Everything I consider cheating has to do with physical contact.

Maybe I'm just too passive, but I honestly wouldn't care

• Yeah if a girl did that to me I'd call it cheating without hesitating. I think she was too lenient.

What Girls Said 18

• He can go to hell.

I would not forgive him.

We'd be done.

• What? How the hell is that not cheating? 😓
    Of course it is.

• It is absolutely cheating, I can't believe she's still with him. Eventually her distrust for him will ruin the relationship, or he will end it because he will realize he has no boundaries and can't stay committed. It's only a matter of time, really.

• It's certainly cheating. I'm happy that she can trust him so well. I wouldn't be able to do the same.

• I'd say it's extremely disrespectful - and definitely a form of cheating in today's society...

• When you're in a committed relationship, and he's sexting someone else, he's not only paying attention to his girlfriend. his looking at other girls and he only stopped because he was caught but he had no intention in avoiding this head on. This boy does not want this relationship as much as he should. If i knew my boyfriend wasn't FULLY committed like he promised to be i would break up. sorry but in that situation its all or nothing. then again when you love someone you don't think rationally

• Fuck that shit. I'll cut him off

• I consider it cheating, maybe not as bad as your boyfriend deep dicking your best friend but bad enough that I would split up with them.

• define "sexting."

if the cheating partner is doing weird kinky shit on kik or something,
    or doing anything physically without an emotional connection,
    i think that's forgivable.

if the cheating partner is getting emotionally attached to someone else,
    they must be let go.

• Uhh definitely something I'd most likely break up over.

• It's so so definitely cheating
    I'd definitely dump them.

• its cheating because you are losing interest so why waste your time?

• It's cheating obviously. I think you should dump him, if he did it once he'll do it again.

• Yes sexting another person is cheating and grounds for breakup.

• Just read what your friend said to you. Umm, sounds like she is so desperate to keep him that she'll put up with his infidelity. Meanwhile, anyone showing concern will receive the anger she should be projecting at her boyfriend. You weren't in the fact she should've broken up with him.

• I know.. I'm so mad at her I'm not talking to her right now.. I think it was really uncalled for to comment about me being single which has nothing to do with their situation. I think you are right that she is taking out her anger on me instead of on her boyfriend.

• Oops! Just realized my mistake "You were not wrong in telling her that she should've broken up with him."

Good. I would be pissed as well! Totally uncalled for. I hope she apologizes because when things go south she'll be looking to you for comfort.

• It's the fact that he'd never told her for 7 months, and her forgiving her made me angered. He's probably sexting another girl rn :/

• YES it is totally cheating. I think if it would hurt your partner, it's cheating.

• Cheating isn't always about sex, kissing or touching. If you sext anyone else other than your SO then.. you are already there.

If someone is sexting and sending nudes to some other girl , then they have a potential to cheat... given half the chance. I would dump hiss ass and find a guy who had me on his mind when he is horny...