Why did my mum ask me this question?

This guy and i have been seeing each other everyday, except for today. Earlier today my mum asked me this question which I thought was kind of weird knowing i only know him for a very short period of time

mum: "who is this guy you've been seeing?"
me: "you know who he is"
mum: "yes but what are you guys?"
me; "idk mum. We've only known each other for what? Less than a week. I don't know what are we. Right now we're just two people enjoying each other company"
mum: "what if you fall in love with him?"

i didn't answer that question of hers cause i never really think about it that far yet. All i know now is that i like this guy and i really enjoy his company. I like to just go with the flow and see what happens and not think about these things too much.

Is it weird that my mum asked me that question? Is it too soon for her to asked me it?

i think she's afraid that I'll really like this guy and get my heart broken knowing that he's a foreigner. But its just too soon for her to be asking me stuffs like these dont you think?

• Its weird that she asked, too soon
  • Its weird that she asked, but its not too soon
  • Its not weird she asked, too soon
  • Its not weird she asked, perfect time
  • I don't know / see results

Most Helpful Guy

• People usually project their own faults and insecurities onto you. If your at college studying she probably means if you fall in love it'll distract you from your future. She probably made the same or similar mistake with a man when she was younger and is trying to avoid you doing the same. Parents get a consensus about kids. The more you try and tell your kid to avoid something the more likely they will do it to spite you. Human nature.
    Maybe that's why she's so vague about what she means.

• She and my dad were highschool sweethearts and back in their days there's no such thing as dating. So she was his first love and he was hers.

I don't know its a little off that she asked me this knowing she has never ask me this question before. Could it also be because im not in my teena anymore? :(

• I've known people who got married in a week. I dunno what your fretting about.

• What? They got married in a week? Thats crazy.

Im afraid that my mum would start talking about nonsense like marrige and shits. I meant hello im obviously not ready for that yet. She once set me up with one of her friends son. It was weird. And after that they were talking about "our" marrige and stuffs. Not cool.

Most Helpful Girl

• Its not weird. My mom need to mind her own thou!

• I dont mind her asking, really. Its just that i find it weird for her to be asking these questions, she has never done it before.

• nah... but I need to start dating girls and see if I am truly like girls. But its hard when you look like me! My parents would freak and think its my cousin fault for it. I told my mom if i EVER have a boyfriend you will be the last to know!

What Guys Said 10

• Your mum is doing nothing than, paying an interest in what your doing. She is simply asking you questions about a guy. You are her daughter, and she is just interested what you are doing, and maybe if you fallen for some guy.

Nothing weird about it all, whether its too early or late. Parents worry and are interested in their children lives.

Don't read into things, just take them at face value. People are either just being nosy or being curious about your life. As for parents, they will always be nosy and curious about their kids.

• She's excited for you, and the possibility of having a son-in-law and grandchildren. :-D

But I know how you feel, with nosy people all up in your business trying to rush the courtship process. :-P

• Thats a little too fast to tal about that isn't if?

• Yup that is very much too fast, but don't feel pressured or annoyed. Your mom is just being overzealous.

• Yeah, that's a little too early for your mom to ask that. Granted, I can understand your mom not wanting her little girl to get hurt. But a week or two at the most? Too early.

• Well your mom is just concerned about you

• I could sense that a little but but its really too soon to ask something about this isn't it? And she has never asked me this question before when i was close to my now ex's

• Yea on my last relationship. Okay. Now i know why. Thanks!

• Welcome hehe glad u figured it out immediately

• Excellent question. Two guys. One of them is brand new. How it will all unfold?

• No there's only one guy im close to. My mum never asked questions like this when i was with my ex's but now all of a sudden she asked me this and it really weird

• But you are?

• Well obviously i have met him -__•

• guys and girls will have different opinions. This poll will be inaccurate

• Its weird that only guys voted for option D

• yeah because its more of a personal opinion among your own sex. Men won't understand something like that because we aren't daughters

• she's taking intrest in you..

• my mum asks this sort f question the day i meet a girl so it is normal in my eyes

• Its weird that she asked, too soon

• Seems your mum is very protective of you. The question is obviously too soon, but not weird. Mums like to know what is going on with their offspring. I suspect most mums are holding back most of the time, trying not to seem to anxious or not to seem to pry. You have to allow for the occasional question to escape early. It is must mum being your mum.

What Girls Said 6

• i think your mom is just looking out for you.
    she might of just been making conversation and wanted to know more about what you think about this guy.
    your mom is just trying to be nice and dosent want you to get hurt.
    i would just forget about it and move on.
    hope this helps

• Yea but its a little bit too soon to be talking about "love" right? She has never asked me questions like this even with my exs

• maybe your mom approves of this boy and wants you to date him. thats my only other explanation 🤗
      hope this helps
      ☺️

• How about it's not weird she asked, she is concerned about you? Whether you are excited, nervous, scared, etc etc she wants to be a part of your life.

Why does it have to be weird she has an interest in you? I mean, coming from someone who's mum was the complete opposite, I don't get why you are bitching about it? Be happy your mother gives a fuck.

• I don't think it's weird at all, your mom is just curious.
    Even you yourself start by saying 'I've been seeing this guy everyday' only to later add 'it's only been a week', which leads to very different conclusions.

Your mom probably didn't know how long you've been seing each other, and people these days are very quick to jump into relationships.
    Anyway, I don't think it's an odd question at all, maybe just a misunderstanding.

• She knows how long we've been seeing each other for.

• I try not to but it just got into me. Like what IF i do? What if i fall for him?

• What if you do?
      I think it's fine, just take it easy and let things be. Don't play games.
      If it bothers you your mom asking this stuff at this point in time as it may interfere with how you feel for the guy, just talk to her openly. At least I can do that with my mom.

• It is perfectly normal for a mother to ask that question. Moms are like hawks who watch over their kids. I think she is just curious and wants to know what you two are.

• Your mother must be prone to anxiety sometimes? Are you the youngest or the only daughter in the family? It's lovely she cares but watch that she does not try to control your life. Some parents have a hard time letting us grow up.

• No she doesn't have anxiety. Im the youngest. Yea maybe thats her problem

• They want to protect us but we need our own life experiences
      She is being a bit premature I'm afraid.

• I believe because you and your mom are so close that she felt comfortable enough to ask you. Or she is a little worried and doesn't want you to get hurt like you did with your exs.