Would you go on a date your parents arranged for you?

My mom knows I am miserbale living back home for the year in a suburb when I am 23, very social and an independent city living type of person.

Anyway, she was just gossiping with a woman she works with and she has a doughter 2 years younger than me, but having the same exact problems of knowing no one and being bored in the suburbs... so they arranged a date for us.

I looked her up, I think she is pretty, but I am not really approaching this as a date as we could just be friends and I won't shy away from a freindship at this point either, but obviosuly I think she is cute and if we like eachother I am not opposed to dating either. Of course we could just hate eachother, though I suspect we are desperate enough for friends in the area to at least hang out.

I was just wondering if anyone else here has done something like this, or if it would bother you that your moms set you and a date up.

Most Helpful Girl

• If I were in your position... probably. I mean, what could it hurt? You're being set up by your mom and she's being set up by hers. You'll both be able to laugh about the awkward situation you're in and and already have the topic of "meddling mothers who mean well" in common.

It'll either go well and you can see her again or it won't and you can chalk it up to an interesting experience.

As long as the mothers don't come along. That'd be just insanely ridiculous.

• Of course they would not go, I would turn it down at that point haha but thank you, I am of the same opinion that nothing too bad could really come of it, so why not?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd go. you said she is cute, so what do you have to lose really? Worst case scenario is that you don't like each other and go on your merry ways.

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 12

• Just try it! I mean what can it really hurt. Sometimes are parents know us better than we know ourselves just because of the simple fact that half of our makeup is them. Maybe your mom knows what kind of girl you need. My parents have never arranged a date for me but my sister has. Personally my experience was horrible because I accidently got drunk but, it could have possibly worked out, long story. Give it a shot though!

• i actually wouldn't mind it that much lol! strange as it sounds.

• I think you might be the only other person here who thanks that! Apparently people either don't trust their parents or dont want them to have absolutely anything to do with their partners!

• LOL well i love mine to death so... i trust their choices.

• Yeah when my mom tried to set me up with somebody he was 7 years older and she only picked him out because he had money, so I don't tend to let my rents' hook me up.

• My Mother, grandmother and aunts tried to set me up with a guy back home who was like 7 or 8 years older than me and he was "interested" in me (I was 18 and he was 25 or 26) because "he come from a good family" and "he's an engineer" But HECK NO, I'm pretty sure it will most likely happen in the future, but I clearly told my mother a few days ago that I'll only marry someone I love. I do trust her taste and I might give it a shot if I find the guy attractive, but I would rather find love by myself.

• It seems many girls on here have had issues with moms getting guys waaaay older, and for their jobs or money and not looks or even basic personality... So maybe their is a bit of a gender difference there.

• Yeah I would as long as they don't get in my way. lol But I hate gossiping parents! My aunt is one of those people who would be asking me if I slept with him! I rather they not know I am dating.

• My mom does know better than to ask me all those things haha

• ugh!!! The struggle with parents! hahah I told my mom its none of your bussiness who I am dating. hahah I am not dating but still!

• I'd have a go at it and see what it was like just to make your Mum happy, that way she can never say you don't listen to her.

• I would go... At this point I really have nothing to lose.
    I think at the most worse senerio is you met and not hit it off romantically but if anything met a new friend.

• That's my thoughts on it. I have just been playing it cool and funny with the whole situation... Either way, I am just happy to maybe meet someone I can spend time with, regardless to in what way.

• I wish someone would set me up :)

• i wouldn't go.

• Why not?

• the moms or the other person? I know my mom at least does not have that expectation of me, she just knows I want to get out of the house with people who aren't family.

And why would you not even consider a relationship with this person if it does work out (no expectations)- just wondering.

• Potentially both? And because I'm not interested in a relationship.

• It wouldn't hurt. Maybe she the one. And hey your mom likes her already.

• If he looks fairly attractive and my mom says he's a good guy, sure.

• I actually have gone out on a blind date with a guy my mom set me up on. We trued having a relationship and it didn't work (mutual agreement). However, we are best friends now and our friendship alone was enough to bring me out of my funk. Mothers know best.

• Hey, I'd be okay with friendship to take me out of my funk haha

• Nope... just out of spite that she even thought it would be ok to set me up. Plus she always wants me to meet people that are, and I m not talking down on myself but, much more successful than I am.

• Well, my mom would never push me I suppose... I think she more knows I hate that I have not been out once since I moved back home and miss a social life of any kind.. I thought it was nice, but I could see how for you it could be a bit controlling there maybe.

What Guys Said 21

• I wouldn't go on a date my mother arranged, she'd most likely pick a girl that has a similar personality as hers, and hell NO, I'm not dating someone with a similar personality as my mother's, I'd end up banging my head against the wall every night.

• I would give it a shot. I'm of the belief that you should try nearly everything once before ruling it out. However, if it went horribly, then I wouldn't consider it again. For instance, my grandfather tried introducing me to a girl that he met via someone he knew who was her mother. We never went on a date but she turned out to be a highly conservative -- verging on zealotry -- Christian and it ended with her preaching to me saying she would pray that I find God. He again tried setting me up with a girl he'd heard about but I didn't give it any thought.

• Yea I'd date someone my mom suggested if I thought she was pretty.

• Hell no, no offense to my folks but we have completely different tastes when it comes to women.

ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/.../...-20401-1422542115-23.gif

• Honestly no. I don't know why but it seems weird to me. My aunt and dad tried months ago and I declined. She was a smart, good looking lady from a really good family but something about parents or relatives helping you find a date seems so strange.

• Ehh it would be highly uncharacteristic of my parents to do that but they pretty much want the same kind of girl for me that I want so I guess I'd be open to it.

• Sure I would they know me best and know what I like

• I couldn't do that and still have respect for myself.

Meeting them through your parents is one thing, but you need at least take the initiative and set it up yourself.

• Well basically she gave me her number, and I asked her out and set up where we are going etc.

• If she looks like a decent person I don't think you should pass this opportunity up.

• yeah why not. my mom wouldn't set me up with somebody id hate.

• Oh what the hell, i'd give an arranged date by my parents a go!

• Dude, in our country, free love is not looked upon favourably.. so most dates and marriages are arranged by the respective families. You should totally go for it, if both of you click :D.

• My parents will never get involved in my dating life. But I would do it for fun

• I am doing it for fun, but I see no reason to limit myself if we like each other. Why would you not consider it for anything more than fun? Just wondering.

• Oh I see, my mom really doesn't have expectations here... it was not a serious thing, she didn't even know what she looked like until I pulled this girl up on facebook, and her and my mom have never met.

Now I do think she would be upset if it got back to her that I just used this girl for sex... but if I was simply not interested in dating her, I doubt my mom could care less.

• You don't use her for sex just make a good time out of it and have fun with her and take that fun back to your place.

• My parents have horrible taste in women. They tried to set me up once, not even close.

• just go and be friends but dont take it serious nd shit

• Well if I had nothing better to do sure.

• Simply no.

• Why not, not even a casual blind date?

• Yeah, I mean even if they do not know the girl, they still know the one who sets up the blind date, and that is a strong-enough reason to refuse the date.

• wow, interesting, interesting. fair enough.

• I would go, maybe not with high expectations, but no harm in trying.

• Thanks, that is basically how I feel. I have not been out with people my age in over 2 months lol

• What's the worst that can happen? You don't like her but at least you've tried. If you don't go, you'll never know.

• I wouldn't care much.

• Nobody knows me better than my mom, so yes.

• No, fuck that.